Help! I seem to have been hacked and locked out of my 1Password account

OVer this weekend it looks like someone has been editting my 1Password entries. I therefore attempted to change 1Password logon and now I seem to not be able to get back into my 1Password program.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jim_mg,

Thanks for writing in, I'm sorry to hear what happened here and we'll be happy to help.

Can you answer the following questions for me:

1. First, did you try logging in with the previous password?
    2. Are you using 1Password.com account? I cannot find any 1Password.com accounts with your forum's email address.
    3. What made you think someone was editing your data, what signs did you see?
    4. How are you syncing your 1Password data?

Please let me know.

• jim_mg
    jim_mg
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

Hello MikeT,

This morning i was attempting to logon to a 1Password account when I noticed that I was having problems. [Edited by MikeT to remove private data]

1. I logged on and experienced some difficulty. Then I attempted to logon from one computer and then another. Upon inspection of 1Password listings i noticed multiple entries with various editted changes. Fearing a Hacker I changed the 1Password logon.
    2. My 1Password account should be setup for .. [REMOVED]
    3. My problems associated with logging onto 1Passwrod from a Kindle Fire HD 8 indicated that i was not able to open my 1Password account has sent me off into this administrative nightmare.
    4. I am syccing through my DropBox account.

Jim

• jim_mg
    jim_mg
    Community Member

It seems that the problem might be the differences between 1Password Team, 1Password Family, and 1Password individual liceenses issues.

• jim_mg
    jim_mg
    Community Member

In any event, I am unable to logon from either my desktop computer Win 10 or Chrome Web Browser to my 1Password account.

• Hi @jim_mg,

I've updated your posts to remove any account info as this is a public support forum.

With that in mind, I've checked both email addresses, there's no 1Password.com account listed for both.

I did find a license with your email address, which may mean you're not using an 1Password.com account but instead using 1Password 4 for Windows with local vaults that's synced via Dropbox. 1Password.com accounts doesn't work with Dropbox as the data is sync'ed automatically by us.

Based on these two things, I suspect you may be seeing sync conflicts with Dropbox and that can result in your data looking like someone has changed the data but rather, it is merging in different data from various devices. Sync conflicts can result into 1Password not accepting your passwords either because the encryption keys are being synced as well.

To investigate this further, please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• jim_mg
    jim_mg
    Community Member

MikeT,

I have been recieving back registartion stonemonkey@roadrunner.com email that provides me my registration key for 1Password 4 for Windows from you folks.

• Hi @jim_mg,

Did you send the diagnostics report? I don't see any reports yet from you but if you got an automatic reply from our BitBot, it should have the support ID listed, let us know that ID here.

I have been recieving back registartion stonemonkey@roadrunner.com email that provides me my registration key for 1Password 4 for Windows from you folks.

I understand. We do apologize for the confusion, we offer two completely different products;

1. the local standalone programs where you manage your data yourself, this comes with licenses for each 1Password product you want to use
    2. the cloud-based 1Password.com subscription service where we manage the data for you while you get all 1Password apps, you access your data using your 1Password.com account and you sign in to all 1Password apps using your 1Password accounts, no licenses required

Licenses do not come with any access to 1Password.com service, they're separate things and that may explain what you saw where it wouldn't let you in or tell you there's no account.

• jim_mg
    jim_mg
    Community Member

Hello MikeT,

I thought that I was able to at one time to logon to my passwords through the 1Password website? Has there been something that recently changed with the family, team, or individual licenses?

Jim

• Hi @jim_mg,

The only thing I can think of is 1PasswordAnywhere, which is a local file that you could store in Dropbox and accessed from Dropbox.com web site. This is no longer supported a while now due to various issues mentioned in this post.

• jim_mg
    jim_mg
    Community Member

MikeT,

I am no longer able to access 1Password on one of my Win 10 PC however I am able to access on a Win 10 Tablet 1Password without any problems. And this was after changing my 1Password and DropBox passwords on the Win 10 PC.

Jim

• MikeT
    edited November 2016

Hi @jim_mg,

We are waiting for you to send us the diagnostics report from the affected PC, the diagnostics process does not require you to unlock in order to generate the report and it can help us figure out why you can't get back in.

Please do the following: use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report on your affected PC and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

This discussion has been closed.