Can I Use the 1Password 6 Browser Extension when 1Password 4 is still installed?

I recently started a trial of the new 1Password 6 service and after a week I am totally sold on the new model.

Here is my problem. On my work computer, I still have 1Password 4 installed and cannot uninstall it because I do not have administrative privileges. As long as it is on the computer, the browser extension will only talk to the old vault, not the new 1Password 6 vault.

1Password 6 reports that I am using an out of date extension. I have uninstalled the extension and reinstalled from the link in 1Password 6.

Is the only answer to uninstall 1Password 4?

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616 and 6.1.296d
Extension Version: Chrome 4.6.2.90
OS Version: Windows 7 Enterprise
Sync Type: Dropbox and 1Password

Comments

• MikeT
    edited November 2016

Hi @Clavius,

Thanks for writing in.

Try terminating the 1Password 4's Helper process (Agile1pAgent.exe) with the Task Manager and restart your browser, it may help. You can find out here in our article here.

If it works, you can disable 1Password's Helper from auto-starting upon reboot and the 1Password extension will always reconnect to 1Password 6's mini.

• Clavius
    Clavius
    Community Member

OK, I am able to kill the process and it has paired with 1Password 6.

Unfortunately, I cannot complete the next steps as running msconfig.exe requires administrative privileges:

• Click the Start button, type msconfig, and select the item titled “System Configuration” in the search results. Confirm that you want to make changes if Windows asks you.
    • Click the Startup tab, deselect “1Password”, and click OK.

Let me see how it behaves when I restart the computer.

Thanks for the quick reply. And I'm sorry my search didn't find the spot-on knowledgebase article you linked to!

• Hi @Clavius,

Once it restarts, it will connect to 1Password 4's Helper, you just have to kill it like you did now each time you restart until you get permissions to remove 1Password 4 and use 1Password 6 instead.

And I'm sorry my search didn't find the spot-on knowledgebase article you linked to!

No need to apologize, this is not your fault as this article is not indexed yet.

This discussion has been closed.