1Password 6 for Win Feedback and Hope for the better

Options

Dear All, I was setting up a 1Password Family Account and was using 1Password 6 for Windows to copy all my stuff from Dropbox into the new Account model and using it as my daily conduit to my vaults as all our PCs are Windows. I was intensively using and testing 1Password 6 the last 2 days and I wanted to give you feedback here, combined with the hope you might be able to improve my user experience with it– as I am not really happy::

The incredibly useful function “Minimise 1Password on Copy to Clipboard” is missing!

The “Auto-Type” function which is very useful whenever a sign-in situation is not properly detected, is missing!

It is not possible to add documents to the vault. When you drag a file to upload, simply nothing at all happens. The same when you try instead picking a file via the explorer window.

Logging into a certain website (the core function of the program) is quite messy:

In 1 Password 4 it worked like a charm:

• Go on Logins
  • Type the first letter of the item (match-key function)
  • Sometimes scrolling ahead a few entries with arrows keys
  • Press Enter or double klick on it
  • That’s it! You’re fully logged into the website.

In 1 Password 6 instead:

• The match-key function is not working in the list of Logins which is not helpful
  • So, you type almost the whole name of the item into the search field otherwise you get a too long list of items
  • You scroll through the remaining list until you found the Login item you are looking for.
  • Now you press enter or double klick on – and NOTHING happens!
  • Instead you have to go to the right side where the website entry is and click on that one.
  • Now the website is opening but don’t believe the username and password are inserted – No they aren’t at all! (ALL settings rightly chosen under Page Filling in Options!)
  • You now have to press Ctrl-# and AGAIN you get a long list of matching items out of Logins AND the Password sections in the vault. The latter one completely useless and just making the list longer.
  • So, you scroll AGAIN to choose the right entry and click on it
  • Finally, now Username and Password are inserted but you are STILL not logged-in!
  • You have click once more on the sign-in button of the site in order to FINALLY get logged-in where you wanted.
  • Please don’t simply say this is the specific website or the specific login or the settings under Options – there are not many settings at all. I have chosen correctly the available settings (eg “automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords”). Also, ALL the websites I was testing are EXACTLY the same where 1Password 4 simply and perfectly works as described above

Please help me, if you might be aware of any workaround I could be using to make that easier. Thank you.

I fully get the conceptional change and the overall benefits of the account model, this is where software models are developing to everywhere. However, 1Password 6 Windows is at the moment a huge step backwards rather than forwards what concerns the practical functionalities of efficiently making use of usernames and passwords for logging into stuff – one of the core and key functionalities of such a program. I instantly hope you can be focusing on the Windows version getting fast somewhere near to the maturity of 1Password 4, at least! I would consider Dashlane as a benchmark what concerns this functionality of logging-in fastest and most efficient, anywhere.

Thank you so much for all your focus and dedication to continuous improvement. I really appreciate what you’re all doing at agilebits and with 1Password. Have a great day!

pawo

1Password Version: 6.1.296d
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password Family Account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pawo: Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience!

The incredibly useful function “Minimise 1Password on Copy to Clipboard” is missing!

Thanks for letting us know you'd appreciate that option. It may be something we can add in a future version. I have to admit I never noticed its absence. I just don't copy passwords to the clipboard since I have 1Password fill them for me. It's good to have another perspective!

The “Auto-Type” function which is very useful whenever a sign-in situation is not properly detected, is missing!

This is a feature we'd very much like ourselves. I can't say when we'll be able to add it, but it's on our list!

It is not possible to add documents to the vault. When you drag a file to upload, simply nothing at all happens. The same when you try instead picking a file via the explorer window.

I'm sorry for the confusion! This is a display glitch. Just save after adding it and all will be well.

The match-key function is not working in the list of Logins which is not helpful

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure what "match-key" means here.

So, you type almost the whole name of the item into the search field otherwise you get a too long list of items [...]

You mentioned a number of idiosyncrasies here, and I'm sorry for the trouble. We're working on improving the 1Password mini interface to make it more consistent and more useful. Thanks for your feedback on this!

Finally, now Username and Password are inserted but you are STILL not logged-in! You have click once more on the sign-in button of the site in order to FINALLY get logged-in where you wanted.

Are you perhaps using Chrome? There is a known bug with Autosubmit there which we'll be addressing in an update. In other browsers it will work as you expect.

Thank you so much for all your focus and dedication to continuous improvement. I really appreciate what you’re all doing at agilebits and with 1Password. Have a great day!

Likewise, thanks for your passion and bringing up these issues! We've made a lot of progress on the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app over the past few months, but we know we're not finished yet. We'll keep working hard to make it a smoother experience for you and the rest of our awesome customers! :)

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot for your answers and for all the effort improving further 1Password 6 windows, Brenty!

• I tried again the document adding and indeed it works. For documents of a certain size it just takes very long until its loaded and there is no feedback at all. Therefore one believes it doesn't work and aborts it. - Done. :)

• Match-key is a very simple yet extremely efficient functionality from the "good old DOS days". Maybe you guys might call it differently. Many people don't know it hence don't use it but it's great. In a list of items (like 1Password 4 Logins) you simply press a letter on your keyboard and you jump in the list to the next first item which beginns with this letter. If you type a letter again it jumps to the next item beginning with the pressed letter (or symbol or number). It sounds trivial but it is one of the most efficient and simpliest features for navigating fast through a list. You have it in 1Password 4 Windows.

• Yes I am using Chrome. I thought Chrome is currently the only browser being supported by 1Password 6 Windows? If other browsers are working better and are supported, which one do you recommend?

A couple of additional questions, please:

• How can I bring an item to the Favorites list in 1PW6 WIN? I cannot find at all any possibility doing so, except doing it in the web-interface or in iOS. However, that is just a workaround and not a solution for 1PW6 WIN.
    • Can you please put on the wishlist also a Delete button (usually an X) for the Search Field at the top of the 1PW6 WIN window? Without it the ergonomics of the program suffer a lot: You need to delete any previous search in that field in order to see again the whole list of items. Without a Delete button you need to take off your hand from the mouse to the keyboard to delete and then return to the mouse again. With a delete button you do everything staying on the mouse. It is a lenghty description for a very simple thing but exactly those little well thought-through things make the difference in user experience - software ergonomics! This is one of the things which made Apple great.

If you allow, I will add to the list or share any further insights as they might come up.

Thanks a lot. pawo

• Hi @pawo,

I tried again the document adding and indeed it works. For documents of a certain size it just takes very long until its loaded and there is no feedback at all. Therefore one believes it doesn't work and aborts it. - Done. :)

We do apologize about this, we will fix this properly along with a progress indicator.

For now, I recommend using the New Item > Import files as Documents. This has a much better feedback progress that we will reuse for dragging/uploading files manually into the Document item.

Match-key is a very simple yet extremely efficient functionality from the "good old DOS days".

1Password mini is not yet optimized for all of this.

It's mainly useful for when you're on a site already and you press "Control + \", it will either do a direct fill if you have one item that matches the site or if you have more, it'll show you the UI with multiple found items.

However, the moment you start typing, it changes from "matched Login items" to the full database mode where it'll search the entire database, not limited to Logins and it searches for both the title and tags that matches the search term, not just the title.

In the near future, here's what we're going to implement:

1. Category groupings, so you can navigate to Logins and only search for Logins.
    2. Search options to search titles only or search all fields, so you can search by titles only like you did in 1Password 4. Right now, 1Password mini in 1Password 6 does both title+tag.
    3. Better matching algorithms with subdomain ranking.

Yes I am using Chrome. I thought Chrome is currently the only browser being supported by 1Password 6 Windows? If other browsers are working better and are supported, which one do you recommend?

We support Brave, Firefox, Vivaldi, and a few others. The only exception is IE and Edge. Microsoft is working on completing the rest of the APIs we need to make 1Password support possible in Edge.

However, they all use the same 1Password mini and there's no difference for your use case right now.

How can I bring an item to the Favorites list in 1PW6 WIN? I cannot find at all any possibility doing so, except doing it in the web-interface or in iOS. However, that is just a workaround and not a solution for 1PW6 WIN.

Marking an item as favorite is not yet implemented in 1Password 6, it is coming in a future update.

Can you please put on the wishlist also a Delete button (usually an X) for the Search Field at the top of the 1PW6 WIN window?

We've already implemented this internally and it will be available in the next update.

Thanks for your suggestions and yes, always feel free to share more of your thoughts, we'd love to hear them.

• pawo
    pawo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot, MikeT! pawo

• You're welcome. Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

This discussion has been closed.