Can't get 1Password 6 window back on single screen after undocking

dszp
dszp
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I can't seem to get the 1Password Beta window back on the main screen when my Surface Pro 3 is standalone. The program opens on the task bar and flashes briefly but disappears. Task bar icon and Mini works fine. I've restarted holding Ctrl (and tried Shift as well but I think Ctrl is supposed to reset window position) with no results. Same issue before and after unlock, closing window from right-click on icon and reopening doesn't help, opening from Mini or right-click on taskbar doesn't help. Can't get main window back on visible single monitor at all. I know yesterday it worked on my external (then-primary) monitor, which is also where the fill-save windows hide and show up when I dock again, but I haven't had the issue with the main window being invisible on the system when standalone before. Still on 6.1.304d so it's not the released beta, but there weren't any new ones when I checked yesterday (can't check now--even from Mini the Options menu item causes the window to flash and disappear :-)

1Password Version: 6.1.304d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10 Pro
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Starmatrix
    Starmatrix
    Community Member

This seems to be an issue with multiple monitors in general. I had the same issue myself a couple days ago with other windows not showing up on my laptop screen after I used them on an external monitor and then disconnected. I found a way to get the window back though. If you are using Windows 10, hold shift and right click on the icon in task bar on the bottom of the screen of the window that doesn't show properly. Choose Move. Then hold the right or left arrow key until the window moves back onto your screen. Press Enter and you should be good to go.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

Hey @dszp,

The keyboard shortcut to reset window position was changed to "ctrl + alt" for the build you're using. Please try using that shortcut instead.

Thanks for commenting with that workaround @Starmatrix! Although it may not work for everyone, it should help some folks who are having this issue.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

@Starmatrix @mohamedosman Thanks to you both...I always forget how to get to the Move command so that was a good refresher, and the Ctrl+Alt option worked as well!

• MikeT
    edited November 2016

Sorry, we did mention the new shortcut in the changelog on HockeyApp's page if you're signed in.

We need to add a way for people to view current changelog inside the app, we'll get that added in a future update.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

@MikeT No problem, I do read the changelog from the Updates screen on Windows before I update each version, but I recall there was one that was quite long recently, and I probably didn't read it in as much detail as I should have :-) Wouldn't mind having the changelog visible below the version check even if no update is available, which sounds like what you're saying.

• MikeT
    edited November 2016

Hi @dszp,

:smile: The long list is usually a sign that we're prepping for the first public beta but we have a few big fixes we want to do first before we ship it.

I was thinking of what we have in the macOS version, the Show Release Notes button that goes to our changelog page with beta notes like this one.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

@MikeT Yeah I've noticed the pattern...long lists are exciting, I just tend to update often enough I sometimes don't read quite with the level of detail I should if it's longer and I'm busy. I like your idea. I also like the way the Mac updater shows all the release notes from the current version to the installed version in the updater--not exactly related and the Windows one is close (maybe it does this now--I'm never more than one version behind at the moment) but I do really enjoy how the Mac one works, though I wish the window were a bit larger for longer notes. But I'm fine with any tweaks. And I'll try to read updates in a bit more detail going forward :-) I hadn't needed the window reset after originally reading it was Ctrl (which I did know). Not sure if I found that on the forums or in the beta updates though originally.

• Hi @dszp,

You should be to resize the updater's window and it should retain the size next time you have an update. If not, it is a bug and let us know.

As for current build > update build, that's something we'll add to the Windows updater as well, we're the exception where we're pulling our changelog from HockeyApp instead of our own changelog server with APIs to combine update notes based on the current build.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member

@MikeT Two quick things...earlier today I was using my Surface Pro sans keyboard and 1Password was stuck off on another screen from docking. It was incredibly hard to get Ctrl+Alt "held" down on the on-screen keyboard while opening to reset positions. I had to copy the shortcut off the start menu onto the desktop and use a double-touch (not pen) to open after locking Ctrl+Alt down on full-size on-screen keyboard. I finally got it working, but it was extremely difficult and someone with less experience and creativity probably would have been lost :-) Just FYI--that key combo works fine with a hardware keyboard which I'm sure is 99% of the time or more for most.

Also, just another quick note not worthy of another thread--the update history listing for version 6.1.308d (from 6.1.307d) in Options had a link to the Windows Beta forums. I clicked the link since I was coming here to type this post, and it loaded the forum in the bottom half of the app. Pretty useless (couldn't even use 1Password to fill in my login info I don't think ;-) and the default browser would be a better target. I don't think there are security implications for loading linked web content there, it's just useless--little usability niggle for some point in the future. Hadn't seen a link in the release notes before that I remember so it's probably just untested.

• Hi @dszp,

Thanks for your report as usual.

1. Good catch on the link (hey, you've read it). I've updated the changelog to remove the link for the moment and we''ll check to see why it didn't open in the default browser.
    2. As for the Surface Pro, that's a good point. At the moment, this is just a temporary workaround while we investigate to fix this issue properly. We'll see if we can find a way to do this without the external keyboard.
This discussion has been closed.