Syncing Vaults between Mac and windows

Options

Hi,
a. I have 1 Password on my Mac (Master Vault) and my Windows (work) laptops
b. I am using dropbox to sync between my Mac and iOS devices
c. I cannot use dropbox on my Windows (work) laptop. The vault on my windows laptop is local to that laptop.
d. I now have two vaults that I need to sync. How can I sync the windows vault with my master Vault on my Mac?
Chetan

1Password Version: 6.5.1 ( Mac) / 4.6 (Windows 7)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX Sierra / Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @cullal,

Thanks for writing in.

How are you typically copying data between both laptops, do you use your own local sync tool or are you copying manually to a USB drive between both laptops? The information can help us figure out a better way to approach this sync situation for you.

Also, when you said you cannot use Dropbox on your Windows laptop, is this by choice (work doesn't permit it) or are you having issues with Dropbox?

• cullal
    cullal
    Community Member
    Options

Mike,
    a. At this time I am NOT copying data between the two laptops..
    b. Its a work restriction. I cannot access dropbox from the windows laptop.
    Chetan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cullal: Ah, I understand. You could manually copy the vault between machines using a USB drive (but do be careful with that, since it's easy to make a mistake) with Folder Sync.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password subscription since it includes automatic sync. It also gives you access to all of the apps and the web interface, and does away with license management altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• cullal
    cullal
    Community Member
    Options

A. The Folder Sync link take me to instructions for Folder Sync for Mac. Are there instructions for Folder Sync for Windows.
    B. After I copy the vault using Folder Sync onto my mac, how would I merge the two vaults on my mac.
    Chetan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

A. The Folder Sync link take me to instructions for Folder Sync for Mac. Are there instructions for Folder Sync for Windows.

@cullal: Correct. There is no "Folder Sync" feature in 1Password for Windows. It always works that way.

B. After I copy the vault using Folder Sync onto my mac, how would I merge the two vaults on my mac.

Folder Sync should only be enabled when you copy the vault initially. When you copy the vault back to your Mac again, enable Folder Sync and select that same vault. You can then Merge them. Cheers! :)

• cullal
    cullal
    Community Member
    Options

So what do I copy from my windows laptop?

• The Vault is a folder (1Password.agilekeychain) with subfolders.
    • Do I copy this entire folder?

After I copy this folder to my Mac how would I merge this vault (folder copied from Windows) to the vault on my mac?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So what do I copy from my windows laptop?
    The Vault is a folder (1Password.agilekeychain) with subfolders.
    Do I copy this entire folder?

@cullal: Yep! Copy the entire folder ending in .agilekeychain and its contents. This is your vault, so you'll want the whole thing.

After I copy this folder to my Mac how would I merge this vault (folder copied from Windows) to the vault on my mac?

Setup Folder Sync and select that same .agilekeychain vault you'd copied over from the PC and choose Merge to combine its data with what's currently stored in 1Password for Mac. :)

• cullal
    cullal
    Community Member
    Options

When I select the copied vault using the Folder Sync all I get is a Create New option on my mac.. I do not have a "Merge" option..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cullal: If you do not select an existing 1Password vault and click Open when you're viewing a folder (with nothing selected), 1Password will offer to create a new vault in that location:

If you'd like to use your existing vault, please select it, click Open, and you'll be given the option to merge it with the data in the app (within the vault you've selected in Preferences > Sync):

Then you'll have the option to Merge with Existing, since you've selected an existing vault. Hope this helps!

• cullal
    cullal
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, That worked like a charm.. Thanks for your help with the steps to sync my vaults across my laptops. Chetan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.