Browser extension not behaving as expected

Options

Hi folks - I'm a bit perplexed. Been using 1Password for a number of years on Macs, Windows, smartphones and tablets. I just upgraded my MS Surface Pro 4 from 1Password 4 to 1Password 6 and also migrated from a local Dropbox sync to the new 1Password.com account. I'm running Chrome and Firefox and have successfully installed the browser extensions on both. But when I click on the 1Password icon in the browser title bar, I'm not getting a drop-down menu where I can chose "Login", "Credit Card", etc and launch a website and automatically fill in my UserID and Password. Instead, I get a fullscreen version of 1Password and no login items are displayed. I can type in the name of a login and 1Password with display choices (e.g. "Regions Bank", where it will show several login items of that name and allow me to choose which one I want), and clicking on a choice will launch the website and fill in my credentials. But I'm perplexed as to why the browser extension drop-down is not showing up as it did on 1Password 4. Any ideas?

1Password Version: 6 - with 1Password.com
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@johnread: Indeed, the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app is different in some ways to the previous version.

Specifically with regard to 1Password mini, it simply isn't complete yet, and we'll be adding categories there in a future update.

However, having the prominent search is very intentional. Many users found that 1Password 4 was less convenient in this regard, since you either had to click the Search item there or know that you could start typing even though there was no indication of this.

We're also taking the opportunity to make the new app scale nicely on high resolution displays (like the Surface) and make it perform better, since we're building the new version from the ground up.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• johnread
    johnread
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Brenty! So now I am assured that I've not gone insane - at least not in this particular area! I'm enthusiastic about 1PW 6, and am eager to see how it develops!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

Glad I was able to put your mind at ease. ;)

We're excited about the new app too and are working hard to make it live up to all of our expectations. Thanks for your encouragement! :chuffed:

• sdfsd
    sdfsd
    Community Member
    Options

i have a related question.

when i first signed up for Teams and got the Windows app, the browser extension would open up a smaller version of the window it currently opens up. Thus I could still see the webpage I was dealing with but with a 1password window floating on top. Now it just fills the whole screen and is terrible! E.g., I can't easily generate a new password. Am I missing something?

Finally, your windows app and browser extension cant even capture the password for your own website when I create a new account!

Your mac products work.. you don't really have a windows product.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sdfsd: I'm not certain I understand what you're describing. The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app has had the same browser interface since we added that feature. If that's what you're using, your description of it filling "the whole screen" just doesn't reflect what I'm seeing. Do you maybe have a rather high display scaling setting? Even on my 12" screen it takes up maybe 10% of the display. So I'm not sure if you've changed something about your settings, or if you were simply using 1Password 4 previously, which has a smaller browser menu and also does not support scaling.

It also sounds like you're having an issue with Autosave in your browser. I double checked this to make sure something hadn't broken in the latest update, and it appears to be working here:

That's not to say that you're imagining things, but unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

http://support.1password.com/cs/version/

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, what is the exact URL you're using? Often simply manually saving the login will save additional information that will allow 1Password to work. Let me know what you find. Thanks in advance!

• dyjm
    dyjm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there,

I've been experiencing what @sdfsd mentioned on my Surface Book. The browser extension was working fine in and out of Tablet Mode for weeks, but one day last week while in tablet mode I tapped the browser extension and it took up the entire screen. I thought it was just something weird that Windows was doing while in Tablet Mode.

However, when I reattached it, switched out of Tablet Mode and tried again it was still opening up and taking over the screen. This has been happening through restarts and 1Password updates for me (I'm currently on 1Password 6.1.308d). It also happens when I open it from the icon group on the bottom right of the screen (I have no idea what it's called, I'm not a huge Windows person!)

Here's some screenshots of what's happening:

I go to a page and hit the browser button

The 1Password Mini window fills the screen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dyjm: Okay no, forget what I said. If that's what you're seeing (and what sdfsd was referring to), that's just nuts! That would be a problem for me too. :dizzy:

Do you by any chance use an external display? I've encountered a similar issue with other apps (not with 1Password...yet) being weirdly stretched when connecting/disconnecting. It seems like it happens most frequently associated coming out of sleep. For example, I'd been using the external display, Windows went to sleep, but when I woke it up again and the display was off, things were a mess.

Does any of that sound like what you're experiencing, even if it's triggered somehow by tablet mode? You mentioned the "notification area" icons at the bottom. I'd appreciate any additional details you can provide!

• dyjm
    dyjm
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I don't use an external display per se, but I wonder if how the Surface Book handles switching from Laptop to Tablet Modes is affecting it? When the Surface Books display is detached it switches GPUs and the screen flashes like it's being plugged out and back in again. It's worth noting that Tablet Mode on Windows 10 forces apps into full screen (Also worth noting that 1Password Mini was working as intended for a couple of weeks prior to it being fullscreen constantly).

So it's possible that during this GPU switching something funky happened that caused the window to be stretched full screen. But I don't think that would explain why it's happening across reboots too...

As for the Notification Area, I mean that clicking the 1Password icon there brings up 1Password Mini in fullscreen too, so it's not just related to how the extension is handling things.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @johnread, @sdfsd & @dyjm,

I've moved this to the Windows forum to ensure those that work more closely with 1Password for Windows see this. As the menu is all from 1Password for Windows I want to make sure news of this is seen by those that spend all day troubleshooting 1Password 6 for Windows which will then make sure it gets back to the developers, assuming it is something they can fix. If it's an issue with Windows then there's also a good chance they've heard of it and if there's a workaround they may know.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dyvm @johnread @sdfsd,

Sorry for the confusion here folks! This is a bug in 1Password 6 and I've made a note of this issue; we'll be looking at this when we make improvements to the mini.

A temporary workaround for this issue is to manually resize the mini. I can't capture my cursor in a screenshot, but if you move your mouse to the top-left corner you should see a bidirectional resize cursor. Use the resize cursor to manually adjust the size of the mini. These changes will persist until the mini's size is changed.

So it's possible that during this GPU switching something funky happened that caused the window to be stretched full screen. But I don't think that would explain why it's happening across reboots too...

Not exactly @dyjm, this has more to do with how Windows 10 handles tablet mode. All "apps" and windows are set to fullscreen size, and 1Password 6 will personally keep track of windows sizes and locations on your screen. This is why you're seeing this change across reboots, and why you need to manually change the screen size for 1Password.

Now it just fills the whole screen and is terrible!

This is not normal behavior, @sdfsd, Please try to manually resize the mini window as I've suggested.

I can't easily generate a new password

@sdfsd, you can quickly generate a password through the mini by clicking "Settings > Password Generator"

Are you having any trouble seeing this window?

This discussion has been closed.