Per monitor DPI awareness in 1Password 6

Options

Hello,

because I am a local db user, I still use 1Password 4. I can't wait for the upgrade to v6 :) Today I installed v6 for a first preview. The GUI looks very good (hopefully it will be multi language support added in the future), the performance is great and it runs very well. Good work!

But one thing is disappointing for me: While I read in the blog post about the high dpi support in v6, I see, that v6 has only "System aware" dpi support. That means, that in my multi-monitor, multi-dpi-scale setup, 1Password still looks blurry :-(

Is it planned to add true "Per monitor aware" dpi support?

It would be great!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

The devs have to use UWP for Windows 10. The current version of 1Password is designed to be backwards compatible with Windows 7, so all the good modern stuff isn't there. There is a UWP version in beta that is due an update soon so fingers crossed.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Kristian, thanks for writing in.

Is it planned to add true "Per monitor aware" dpi support?

Yes, this is something that we're planning on adding in the future, but we do not have a specific timeline for it right now.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@architect1337 yup, that's correct.
    There are some Windows 10 api's that we cannot take full advantage of because we need to support Windows 7 as well. We're planning on making some updates that'll let our Windows 10 users have a complete experience without leaving our Windows 7 users out in the cold.

• architect1337
    architect1337
    Community Member
    Options

It would be nice to have two versions - a legacy version for those who can't update to Windows 10 and the 'current' version for those who are able to move on. From what I have read in a couple of other threads, a lot of people value the Windows 10 API over the ability to integrate into the browser. I'm sure you guys will figure it out in the end - but to focus support on a 7 year old O/S seems a shame.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There are a lot of things brewing for 1Password on Windows; stay tuned @architect1337 ;)

• Kristian
    Kristian
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, this is something that we're planning on adding in the future

Great!

but to focus support on a 7 year old O/S seems a shame.

I think, that statement is not fair. Windows 7 has still 50% market share. That means, that Agilebits has to care about their Windows 7 customers. But other app developers like Mozilla with Firefox supports per monitor DPI awareness without losing Windows 7 compatibility.

I hope, I can buy a license for a per monitor DPI aware, multi language GUI 1Password v6 app in the future :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think, that statement is not fair. Windows 7 has still 50% market share. That means, that Agilebits has to care about their Windows 7 customers. But other app developers like Mozilla with Firefox supports per monitor DPI awareness without losing Windows 7 compatibility.

@Kristian: Well, we don't have to care about anybody...but we really love all of our awesome customers, no matter what OS they choose. ;)

I hope, I can buy a license for a per monitor DPI aware, multi language GUI 1Password v6 app in the future :)

That's the goal! We definitely want to make 1Password work more seamlessly with regard to scaling and window management too, regardless of your DPI or the number of screens you use. It will take time, but we're working toward that every day. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.