1Password 6 is not starting in Windows 10

Options

I installed recently 1Password on my dell desktop. It will not start. I can double click and it acts like it wants to start, but it doesn't. I watched the task manager while starting, and it shows up for a few seconds, but then it goes away.

Any help?

1Password Version: 1Password 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @CHCampbell,

To better understand what's causing this error, we need to see some of your logs. Can you send us the logs from Windows' Event Viewer, here's how:

1. Click on Start Menu, search for "Event Viewer" and open it
    2. On the left sidebar, expand "Applications and Services logs"
    3. Right click 1Password and select "Save all events as" and save the file on your desktop.
    4. Attach the saved file in your email to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Please also include the link to this thread and your forum username, so we can connect the email to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly.

ev2.png 10.1K
  • CHCampbell
    CHCampbell
    Community Member
    Options

support ID is #WMW-58797-727

• Hi,

Thanks, we got the log and will reply to it as soon as possible.

• lrosenman
    lrosenman
    Community Member
    Options

This may be the same issue I just posted.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lrosenman: Do you mean this? I'd be interested to know if @CHCampbell is also using Insider Preview 14971.

• lrosenman
    lrosenman
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Yep, that would be it. Would error logs help y'all?

• lrosenman
    lrosenman
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I sent a log from my [removed by moderator] address -- awaiting reply from bitbot.

• lrosenman
    lrosenman
    Community Member
    Options

support id: UHC-82271-583

• lrosenman
    lrosenman
    Community Member
    Options

more info: I just installed it on the RELEASE/Stable version (my wife's laptop) and it works fine....

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lrosenman: Ah, interesting. Thanks for letting me know, and also for sending that! We'll take a look to see if there's something we can improve there. We'll continue the conversation via email to avoid duplication of efforts, and get back to you shortly!

ref: UHC-82271-583

• CHCampbell
    CHCampbell
    Community Member
    Options

FYI:

The fix for me was to go to ' %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password ' in the file explorer and rename the data folder to data-backup.

There must have been something corrupt in that folder, because I was able to open the program, sign in and it created a new data folder.

Thanks MikeT

• Hi @CHCampbell,

You're welcome. The data folder would contain the settings for the apps, our theory is that some of the settings were invalid and we're looking to add some code to gracefully fall back to the defaults value instead of crashing.

• lrosenman
    lrosenman
    Community Member
    Options

Same fix works for me :)

• lrosenman
    lrosenman
    Community Member
    Options

would y'all like a copy of the bad data folder for diagnostics/forensics?

• Hi @lrosenman,

Thank you for the offer but as per our policy, we can't accept such data files even for diagnostics. We are going to add additional workarounds in the next update that should improve this, based on our understanding of the logs that we got from you guys.

Also, I'm glad it is working better now and thanks for updating us here. I'll also close the email ticket for you since it is resolved here.

• lrosenman
    lrosenman
    Community Member
    Options

you might want to add how to clear this as an FAQ/KB article. Thanks for the clarification re: policy. I'll go delete the bad folder now.

• MikeT
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi @lrosenman,

Thanks.

If we do that, then we wouldn't get any useful diagnostics log file from our users to prevent future occurrences of this issue. There's a balance we always work on, to ensure users can help themselves but not to the point that we ignore the cause of the problem, thus it is never resolved.

We are hoping the next update will address this, so that no other users will see this thus the FAQ/KB isn't used. If they do, we want them to get in touch with us.

• lrosenman
    lrosenman
    Community Member
    Options

understood :)
    I do software for a living, and do understand the balance..

• :smile:

If there's anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.