What a disaster the Windows experience has been

bob_srv
bob_srv
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Surprisingly difficult to use. This product has clearly not been through any kind of usability testing.

1. During the setup of the Windows app for 1Password, I finished the 1Password account setup and saw that the Personal Vault was set up. I expected that the next step there would be some kind of walk-through that showed me different categories of accounts (banking - email accounts - social forums - etc.), and ask me if I want to enter the username and password data. After all, that is what I saw when I watched your product video (Vimeo video) on the homepage:
    https://1password.com/

However, nothing like that happened. Instead, it simply dumped me at the Vault overview and asked me if I wanted to add a picture to my account. If I hadn't stumbled on a Youtube video I would have never figured out how to add an account.

1. What is the difference between the sign-in address and the email address? Do you realize how similar these two terms are? And how confusing that is? Is the signup the same as the username for 1Password? Why not simply say that?

2. Why is synching to iCloud or DropBox necessary? If the 1Password account is the best option?
    https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

3. The extension for Internet Explorer 11 doesn't install. The extension for Safari is visible on the toolbar, but clicking it does nothing. Fail.

4. This 1Password tutorial video made only six months ago shows a much more complete UI for the desktop app than what I am seeing with 1Password 6. Where are those missing features?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WouAOqXH4PU

5. When I add a new account via the 1Password6 app there are all kinds of fields. For example, for a banking account (New Item / Bank Account) it asks you about phone numbers, ABA routing, etc. But when I use the browser extension and do an actual login to the same bank, it captures that login as a second, unrelated account to all the bank info that I just finished entering. So now I have two logins for Bank of America: 1 - a carefully entered and detailed login that was done beforehand, and 2 - an entirely different login that was captured in real-time via the browser extension.

6. I have already signed up for the trial. But now I'm ready to buy. I have been trying to sign up for the individual plan at $2.99 month, billed annually. But every time I do that, it takes me back to the Vault overview.

ARE YOU PEOPLE INCOMPETENT?
I am trying to give you money and your sign-in flow keeps re-routing me away from doing that.

1Password Version: 1Password6
Extension Version: Safari 4.6.2; Firefox 4.6.2
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016

@bob_srv: While I don't think namecalling is productive or appropriate, I do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on 1Password. I'm sorry that you've had a frustrating experience so far, and I'll do what I can to answer your questions and assist with the issues you've been having.

During the setup of the Windows app for 1Password, I finished the 1Password account setup and saw that the Personal Vault was set up. I expected that the next step there would be some kind of walk-through that showed me different categories of accounts (banking - email accounts - social forums - etc.), and ask me if I want to enter the username and password data. After all, that is what I saw when I watched your product video (Vimeo video) on the homepage:
    However, nothing like that happened. Instead, it simply dumped me at the Vault overview and asked me if I wanted to add a picture to my account. If I hadn't stumbled on a Youtube video I would have never figured out how to add an account.

Ah, I see. 1Password isn't designed to try to make you add data to it; rather, it's meant to be a tool at your disposal to save and access important information securely in your own personal workflow. After all, if we have 1Password take everyone through a bunch of steps to save information right off the bat, that can be time consuming and inconvenient — sort of like having to click through a tutorial when you just want to accomplish your task. So we have knowledgebase resources on our support site for those who want them, without shoving them in everyone's face. I'm sorry if that didn't meet your expectations, but you did the right thing in reaching out so we can help walk you through things if you're having trouble!

What is the difference between the sign-in address and the email address? Do you realize how similar these two terms are? And how confusing that is? Is the signup the same as the username for 1Password? Why not simply say that?

The "sign-in address" is given to you when you signed up for your account. This is a URL where you login to your 1Password Account. Not everyone knows what UR means though, so we call it the "sign-in address" at https://start.1password.com and we try to make it clear by showing _______.1password.com as a hint:

And you can always click "Don't know your sign-in address?" to have it sent via email again if you've deleted it and forgotten. I'm sorry this wasn't clearer, and we're open to any suggestions you might have for how we could improve it!

Why is synching to iCloud or DropBox necessary? If the 1Password account is the best option?

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

They aren't anymore. Before the 1Password.com subscription service existed, iCloud and Dropbox were the only way to sync 1Password data to multiple devices over the internet. And since these are 3rd party sync services, they require a separate account and setup. They can still be used for local vaults, but are not used for 1Password Accounts, since this is handled by 1Password.com — you just login to your 1Password Account on a device to access your data.

The extension for Internet Explorer 11 doesn't install. The extension for Safari is visible on the toolbar, but clicking it does nothing. Fail.

I hope I'm not misunderstanding, since it looks like you may not have finished your thought at the end there. However, Internet Explorer has been discontinued by Microsoft so we don't currently have plans to support it with the new app. 1Password 6 supports Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and others, and we're working with Microsoft to enable support for Edge as well. If you'd prefer to use the legacy browser though, 1Password 4 supports it.

This 1Password tutorial video made only six months ago shows a much more complete UI for the desktop app than what I am seeing with 1Password 6. Where are those missing features?

Sorry for the confusion! That video is for configuring sync, and since that isn't applicable to 1Password 6. It's a brand new app for the 1Password.com subscription service, which requires no configuration. What you're seeing there is 1Password 4, which is a mature app that supports Dropbox and WLAN Server for syncing. We'll be adding more features to the new app over time as we continue to build it, but since it does not yet support local vaults, a lot of them are currently irrelevant — such as sync.

When I add a new account via the 1Password6 app there are all kinds of fields. For example, for a banking account (New Item / Bank Account) it asks you about phone numbers, ABA routing, etc. But when I use the browser extension and do an actual login to the same bank, it captures that login as a second, unrelated account to all the bank info that I just finished entering. So now I have two logins for Bank of America: 1 - a carefully entered and detailed login that was done beforehand, and 2 - an entirely different login that was captured in real-time via the browser extension.

Login items are used for saving and filling login credentials for websites. A Bank Account item is useful though for storing a lot of information that isn't used for logging in, such as routing numbers and such. We're making it possible to link different items together though, so this feature may be useful for you in these situations once it's added to the Windows and web apps.

Tags are also really useful for organizing things. For example, I have a tag associated with all of my Logins and other items that are associated with a particular credit card. How you organize things is up to you, but I'll be happy to offer other suggestions as well.

As for the Logins you mentioned, it's really best to use 1Password to save logins in your browser. It's a bit tedious to enter them all into the app manually, and using the browser extension to do this actually allows 1Password to save a lot of information about the webpage (which you'd never want to see or enter manually!) that can help it fill more accurately as well. If you're any having trouble with particular sites, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help!

I have already signed up for the trial. But now I'm ready to buy. I have been trying to sign up for the individual plan at $2.99 month, billed annually. But every time I do that, it takes me back to the Vault overview.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience! I haven't heard any reports like that before, but I'll be happy to test this so we can figure out why it isn't working for you and offer a workaround and perhaps improve the website as well. Can you tell me the exact browser version you're using and the exact steps you're taking? Do you have other extensions installed which may be interfering? You referenced Safari in your original post, so I hope you're not using that on Windows. It is very, very out of date and unsupported, both by 1Password.com and by Apple. The current version of Safari on macOS works fine though.

This is a direct link to the billing settings. Please try this and let me know if that works better:

http://my.1password.com/admin/billing

However, I don't want to encourage you to pay for anything until you're satisfied that it's a good fit for you. For example, if Internet Explorer is critical to your workflow, 1Password 4 may be a better solution. And if there are advanced features that you require, please let me know. If they are not yet implemented in 1Password 6 that may make a big difference to you as well. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.