Suggestion to improve 1Password's functionality

Options

I have some suggestions to improve the usability of (at least) Windows version.
I don't know if these topics are already discussed or build in any Beta release - so far : sorry in advance.

Currently I'm missing the following features in 1Password:
1. creating your own catagory with a subset of fields (I have to handle a lot of hardware items, so it would be fine to have this implemented) own fields could be text, memo, number, currency, password, date, IP address (all obsolet, if you could define your own validation rule)
2. define a new or modify an existing validation rule for a field (or at least to deactivate it)
3. have a confirmation dialog, when leaving the programm (to deactivate for sure)
4. possibility to include own icons for own or existing categories (maybe tricky to sync with other platforms ?)
5. provide different languages
6. what about to maintain subcategories (i.e. Hardware / Router, Hardware / Printer or Reward Programs / Hotel, Reward Programs / Shopping)
7. the notes field should be encrypted and only be visible by selecting the object

Thank you for reading :-)

1Password Version: 6.1.308d
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Windows10
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @Gromit1965,

Thanks for writing in.

1. creating your own catagory with a subset of fields (I have to handle a lot of hardware items, so it would be fine to have this implemented) own fields could be text, memo, number, currency, password, date, IP address (all obsolet, if you could define your own validation rule)

The slightly good news is that there's an experimental beta feature exclusively available to the 1Password.com Teams that lets you create and customize your own templates. The bad news, it is experimental and we don't know when it might be available for everyone.

There's going to be an 1Password 6 update soon available to let you create your own section and fields using the existing templates. What you can do is create a blank secure note item, create the section to hold all of these custom fields you want and save it with a tag called Hardware. That way, when you want to create a new Hardware item, you just duplicate the blank item.

2. define a new or modify an existing validation rule for a field (or at least to deactivate it)

At the moment, we have no plans to do this but we'll certainly keep this in mind. 1Password isn't an analysis type of database program, it is not designed with these type of advanced features in mind.

3. have a confirmation dialog, when leaving the programm (to deactivate for sure)

I am not sure what you mean by this, can you clarify what the confirmation dialog is for?

1Password minimizes to your notification area, so it can be used with your 1Password browser extensions. We don't plan to change this.

4. possibility to include own icons for own or existing categories (maybe tricky to sync with other platforms ?)

If you mean custom icons for the items itself, this is already supported in other 1Password apps and 1Password.com web app as well. This is coming to 1Password 6 for Windows in the near future.

5. provide different languages

Definitely coming in the near future, it will have more localizations compared to 1Password 4 due to 1Password 6's complete unicode support now.

6. what about to maintain subcategories (i.e. Hardware / Router, Hardware / Printer or Reward Programs / Hotel, Reward Programs / Shopping)

This isn't coming, we had something like that in previous 1Password formats and we've phased it out completely as it wasn't being used much.

What you can do is create custom templates (when it is available) and use tags instead to categorize it like what I've mentioned for Hardware above.

7. the notes field should be encrypted and only be visible by selecting the object

All of your content is completely encrypted at rest. I assume you mean concealed rather than encrypted? Concealing doesn't mean the data is encrypted, it's just visibly masked from people behind you.

In a future update soon, you can create a custom password field to conceal the data you want hidden by default but we have no plans to let you do this to the note fields. We might look into the ability to collapse the note field by default instead.

• Gromit1965
    Gromit1965
    Community Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Hi MikeT - thanks for answering so quickly.

@3. have a confirmation dialog, when leaving the programm (to deactivate for sure)
    Currently when I click on the upper right corner on X to close the programm, it will be closed completely - meaning terminated without any additional question like "End programm - yes/no ?". Maybe I've overseen an option, where I can setup that the programm will be minimized to tray bar instead of ending it ?

@7. the notes field should be encrypted and only be visible by selecting the object
    You are right - I mean "concealed" (sorry for the misleading wording). Collapsing the note field would also be fine - I only want to avoid, that sombody can see my notes by "accident".

• Hi @Gromit1965,

Maybe I've overseen an option, where I can setup that the programm will be minimized to tray bar instead of ending it ?

It already does this, 1Password does not quit when you click on 'x', it minimizes to the notification area. Please check that area for the 1Password icon or check your taskbar's settings, it might be hiding it for you.

I only want to avoid, that sombody can see my notes by "accident".

We'll see what we can do, thanks for your suggestions!

This discussion has been closed.