License confusion 1P3 and 1P6

Options

Hi. I have a single license 1P6 that I use on my Mac and a family license (bought previously in March 2012) for 1P3 that we were using and my wife is still using on her Mac. She has El Capitan and is having extension issues and I see it's no longer supported. Can I upgrade her to 1P6?

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pauledwards: Thanks for reaching out! Indeed. 1Password 3 was developed in 2009 and supports OS X Snow Leopard and Lion. El Capitan in particular introduced a number of incompatibilities, and the old extension can't work with modern browsers either.

1Password 6, one the other hand, fully supports OS X Yosemite, El Capitan, and macOS Sierra. But since you purchased a family license, you and up to 5 family members are entitled to use it on all of your Macs. Just let them use your license details to register the app and you'll be all set. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• pauledwards
    pauledwards
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded from the family license on 1P3 to an individual license for 1P6 for my Mac. What license do I let her use? My individual one or the original family one?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pauledwards: Good question! The short answer is 1Password 6. Admittedly, this is a bit confusing since we've offered different license types over the years. But at the time you upgraded, all 1Password licenses were of the "family" variety. Cheers! :)

• pauledwards
    pauledwards
    Community Member
    Options

When you say 'let them use your license details to register the app" how do I do that? I have downloaded my license key and tried to install it on my wife's Mac but her 1P it won't update Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pauledwards: It sounds like you may not be using the latest version. Just use the download link there to install it, and then use the license to register it. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• pauledwards
    pauledwards
    Community Member
    Options

How do I make sure her data will transfer across? Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pauledwards: It sounds like she's just using 1Password 3. If that's the case, she'll already be using an AgileKeychain vault, and 1Password 6 can read that too. it will almost certainly find it on its own when you open it the first time. But if not, just select the vault in the path shown in 1Password 3 (Preferences > General) when you choose "existing data" setting up 1Password 6. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.