Networking and cloud limitations

Options

I will have networking limitations at work. I can't use any public cloud services like iCloud or Dropbox.
Now I'm syncing my 1Password files via Dropbox, but at work this will be limited.
I'm using 1Password across Mac, Windows as well mobile devices (iOS).
Due this limitations I can't use this public cloud services and I'm wondering if you are going to add some other sync methods like:

• WebDAV
  • other private NAS services like Synology

Additionally I just wondering which port is used to sync 1Password Cloud service (I'm afraid this will be also blocked due file box in 1Password).

How to securely sync 1Password files thru port 443 ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 4.6.1.616
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Krzysiek: Thanks for reaching out. That's a tough one. WebDAV is one of the few things we've vowed to never do. It was explored in the past, and proved to be a "bag of hurt": a terrible fit for syncing 1Password data reliably and efficiently. Synology, however, is something we may consider adding in the future.

The 1Password.com subscription service, however, just uses HTTPS to sync, so it sounds like that may work for you. And at the very least, you can use the free trial to verify that it works with your company's restrictions. And, worst case scenario, if you're not able to use the app on company equipment, you should be able to use the web interface at least. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Krzysiek
    Krzysiek
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

This will not solve my problem due all traffic even working at home is coming through company proxy.

Could you please explain which pet and protocol is used to sync 1password browser plugin.
    Does it use standard TCP 443?

I'm sure that a lot of private cloud users (Synology, Qnap, Drobo) will be very interested to have all passwords sync from private cloud. That might be advantage from 1Password side !!!
    One of the solution for Agilebits Team is consider is to bould dedicated apps for Synology, Qnap to have full control on this. That might give additional possibilities to configure exact port to connect private cloud.

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @Krzysiek,

Could you please explain which pet and protocol is used to sync 1password browser plugin. Does it use standard TCP 443?

1Password mini connects via a localhost websocket port to the main 1Password program, it doesn't connect to the Internet. You can find out more here on what ports we use: https://support.1password.com/firewall-proxy/?win

For the main 1Password app, yes, we use the standard HTTPS 443 port to 1Password.com servers.

I'm sure that a lot of private cloud users (Synology, Qnap, Drobo) will be very interested to have all passwords sync from private cloud. That might be advantage from 1Password side !!!

1Password 6 for Windows has limited read-only (for now) support for Folder Sync, which you can use to sync to any folder you pick on the local drive, including network shares and/or cloud folders. The macOS version has full read/write support for the same Folder Sync, same for 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password for Android.

However, the biggest problem with Folder Sync is on the iOS platform, there isn't a user-accessible file system that 1Password could use to sync to. You could work around this by using the Wi-Fi sync feature in the macOS version of 1Password to sync to your iOS devices while using the Folder Sync between your desktop computers.

• Krzysiek
    Krzysiek
    Community Member
    Options

Thank's for this additional networking explanations.
    You mention about WiFi Sync feature.
    Can you confirm which port does this use.
    I'm not sure if this will work with Windows 1Password v.4.X ?

Anyway Sync with private Cloud NAS is in my opinion very interesting.

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @Krzysiek,

We use Apple's zero-config Bonjour for the Wi-Fi sync. The ports are UDP ports 5353 and 6262.

I'm not sure if this will work with Windows 1Password v.4.X ?

1Password 4 supports Wi-Fi sync but you can't use Wi-Fi sync between computers (thus the combining both Folder Sync + Wi-Fi for your setup). You can only pair one computer to multiple mobile devices. While you could de-pair and switch to a different computer, it is not recommended.

Anyway Sync with private Cloud NAS is in my opinion very interesting.

It is, it's just difficult to maintain the sync APIs for each different NAS vendor within our iOS app. Folder Sync is vendor-agnostic, it can sync to any folders you want on any NAS you want.

• Krzysiek
    Krzysiek
    Community Member
    Options

Great, so when folder sync will be available for NAS?

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @Krzysiek,

It already is supported in 1Password 4-6 for Windows, Mac and Android, it's been available for a few years now. The exception is 1Password 6 for Windows, it is read-only with an existing local vault but full support is coming in the near future.

Folder Sync doesn't require any specific NAS support, it reads and writes to a local folder. If you use Synology NAS, you use the CloudStation's sync tool to create a folder to sync on your local drive and then you configure 1Password to use a folder inside that CloudStation folder.

• Krzysiek
    Krzysiek
    Community Member
    Options

I like better this WiFi sync. because I don't need to cpy or sync any files.
    I wondering how to plane this process just for one laptop which has no access to Dropbox.
    I can sync it from mobile phone but I can have on mobile just one sync method Dropbox or WiFi.
    How to plane and configure this process?

• Since iOS is in the mix, you will have to choose either Dropbox or WLAN sync.
    If you're using a laptop with no access to Dropbox, the solution would be to either use a mobile WLAN hotspot or create an ad-hoc network. The latter is not easy to do on Windows 10, though.

• Krzysiek
    Krzysiek
    Community Member
    Options

Problem is how to easy switch phone sync method between wifi/Dropbox and allways be master for win10 laptop?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Problem is how to easy switch phone sync method between wifi/Dropbox and allways be master for win10 laptop?

@Krzysiek: Don't. Switching between sync methods destroys the sync state, both for 1Password itself (WLAN Server) and Dropbox, and makes it more likely that you'll run into sync conflicts, since there's no consistent historical context. That's why these are separate, mutually exclusive options that cannot be configured simultaneously or used in conjunction.

• Krzysiek
    Krzysiek
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

It looks like in that particular situation (file sync - not cloud sync) the only one way to have updated 1Password database in device is to restore this from backup zip file from time to time.

Other solution is to go fully to cloud version for all devices.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Krzysiek: Keep in mind that your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. So using Dropbox to sync your 1Password data automatically across all of your devices is not only convenient, it is also secure. I hope this helps!

• Krzysiek
    Krzysiek
    Community Member
    Options

I will consider this to move all to 1Password cloud.
    I still wondering what will happens when I will not pay by forgetting this or card limits.
    May I lose all access ? How I will be secured with this all important data ?

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @Krzysiek,

Your 1Password account will go into the frozen state if you don't renew your account. In this frozen state, you can still log in and see your data but you won't be able to modify the data. However, you will be able to export your data in this state as well. We don't believe in locking you out of your own data just because you didn't pay nor does your security get reduced, the encryption remains the same all the time regardless of your account status.

You can see more information here: https://support.1password.com/frozen-account/

This discussion has been closed.