I need some help. Just got 1password but very disappointed

Options

**Just got 1password but very disappointed. I use chrome but I cannot use it to create any new passwords. I have added the 1password extension but all i get is **

"The 1Password helper must be running for the extension to work properly.
Try again Learn More
Couldn’t connect to 1Password
Either the helper is not running, or something is preventing it from communicating with the 1Password browser extension. Follow the simple steps on our support site or contact us."

I am totally unsure how to proceed. I have tried in vain to add passwords manually, but cannot find any help files to assist me.
If 1Password is only for designed for experts then please advise and I will look for something else.
Thanks in advance for your help
Mike

1Password Version: 1Password 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @MJDENN,

Thanks for writing in and I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed.

What browser and anti-malware solution are you using? The reason you're seeing that message is that there's an interference between the 1Password extension in your browser and 1Password mini, we connect both via a localhost connection. Some anti-malware solution or firewall can get in the way to block that connection.

• MJDENN
    MJDENN
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT
    Thanks for the help
    I'm using Defender that is within windows 10.

• Hi @MJDENN,

Which browser are you using?

Windows Defender shouldn't be an issue. Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, so we can see what's going on. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• MJDENN
    MJDENN
    Community Member
    Options

Hi
    I think I'm missing something here. In the guide it says "Select (Settings) > Export Diagnostics Report." is this in windows? if so there is no "Export Diagnostics Report" within settings? (I'm using Windows 10)
    if it's within 1Password then I cannot find a settings tab?
    Sorry to be so thick

• Hi @MJDENN,

It is in the main 1Password app and it was recently renamed to Generate Diagnostics Report (we'll get that fixed in the guide). Here's a screenshot:

• MJDENN
    MJDENN
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I think I have sussed it!
    I re-installed Chrome and then re-installed the 1Password extension, I have no idea what the problem was but that looks to have cured the issue!
    I have this on the trial version at the moment, when I come to pay will it all run OK or is there anything I will need to do?
    Thanks for your help
    Mine

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

@MJDENN: I am glad Mike was able to assist you with your question. He is great. :) We are happy to hear that the issue has resolved itself. Sometimes, the most obvious things help.

Once your trial is over, your account will get frozen and you won't be able to edit the existing items or create new ones. In order to avoid that, you have to update your billing info and choose a subscription plan. Here is how:

How to manage your 1Password subscription

If you have any questions about it, let us know. We are here for you. :)

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• MJDENN
    MJDENN
    Community Member
    Options

Cheers Greg
    Just a small thing. on your help videos I am finding some of them out of date and a lot of the menus have changed.
    If you take a quick look at this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rky57Be6u4k you will see that is shows you how to generate a new password and put it into a site. Well this "Fill" option no longer seems to be available! This makes it very difficult to add a new long password to sites like ebay where they won't allow you to paste! and I don't fancy typing in 64 characters in twice!!!
    I am only using the trial version at the moment so sorry if "Fill" option is only available in the paid version.

• Hi @MJDENN,

We apologise for the inconvenience.

The filling feature for the password generator hasn't yet been implemented in 1Password 6 (there's no difference in features between the trail phase and once you paid for 1Password).
    Adding this feature is on our todo list but I can't tell you when it will be ready.

This type of limitation on websites like ebay is highly unfortunate and has little to no security benefit for the user. On the contrary, it can be detrimental to ensuring users choose secure passwords.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Cheers,

Alex

• MJDENN
    MJDENN
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Gang
    Just to let you know that unfortunately I won't be taking up a subscription with 1password. Although being a great idea it is causing me a fair few problems. I have a couple of facebook accounts that I do for a couple of clubs and that seems to confuse 1password :-( . Also I use a number of sites (like Facebook) where they won't allow copy and paste to enter a password, as mentioned above I don't fancy typing in 64 characters in twice!!! In addition I am unable to get it to work with me bank login as it required you to pick out certain characters for each login. Never mind it was worth a try and thanks for all your help. :'(

• Hi @MJDEEN,

We do understand that and we're sorry to see you go but we do hope you'll reconsider us in the future when 1Password 6 is fully mature, it is not really that complete yet.

I have a couple of facebook accounts that I do for a couple of clubs and that seems to confuse 1password :-( . Also I use a number of sites (like Facebook) where they won't allow copy and paste to enter a password, as mentioned above I don't fancy typing in 64 characters in twice.

That's very strange, I've never seen Facebook nor Chrome block you from pasting the password in. Here's a screenshot of me pasting in the generated password from 1Password:

Not to mention, here's the 1Password mini showing me multiple Facebook items to select when switching between accounts:

In addition I am unable to get it to work with me bank login as it required you to pick out certain characters for each login.

That's to be expected, that's the whole point of the banks doing these randomized character fields, they don't want to make it easy to fill passwords automatically because it would serve as a deterrent against automated brute force tools but that's a thin line between it and password managers.

The good news is that 1Password 6 has Large Type like this:

But it is not yet accessible from 1Password mini, which we will add in a future update.

This discussion has been closed.