Single License Windows Owner v4.6 -> v6?

Options

I own a single-license copy of 1Password for Windows (bought a while ago) and I'm up to date on Version 4.6.1.616. I'm seeing discussions with version 6 from people on a subscription plan. Is the only difference between the two that v6 syncs with 1password.com and other team/family members? I have the latest for Mac as well and that lets me search across all vaults, but that functionality is not on my Windows copy, and kinda sucks. Will single-license owners continue to receive updates, or will I have to transition to a subscription plan to have the latest features on Windows?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @yoav_weiss,

Thank you for reaching out and for your interest in 1Password! :)

The thing is that we are building 1Password 6 from scratch and, you are right here, this version is focused on 1Password accounts at the moment. However, with the core infrastructure and basic features in the current version, we are adding new features to 1Password 6, bringing it to parity with 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password 6 for Mac.

We have plans to support licenses and local vaults in 1Password 6, but it takes time, so I can't say for sure when this will happen. During this process we do not abandon 1Password 4 customers and publish necessary security updates, if needed.

You can continue using 1Password as you always have – standalone licenses are not going away. But if you prefer local vaults, it is safe to stick with 1Password 4 for the time being.

I am really sorry for this inconvenience and confusion. I hope it helps and explains the current situation. If I managed to confuse you even more, please let me know, I will be happy to take another try. :)

Thank you!

++
    Greg

• yoav_weiss
    yoav_weiss
    Community Member
    Options

So just to make sure I understand - until you bring local vaults and licensing to 1Password 6 for Windows, the two versions will be separate apps but once v6 has feature-parity with v4, single-license owners of v4 for Windows will be pushed an update to v6?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yoav_weiss: You are correct. We are planning to replace 1Password 4 with 1Password 6 in the future, but right now two apps live alongside each other.

However, I would not say pushed, I would say that it will be an overall upgrade. :) 1Password 4 was built using Delphi which was great, but that technology is starting to get long in the tooth. 1Password 6 uses new technologies and frameworks to improve its performance and it shows.

If you have more questions, let's keep the conversation going. Your feedback is important to us, it really is. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• yoav_weiss
    yoav_weiss
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification! Any idea on timeline? :-D

• Hi @yoav_weiss,

We don't have any timeframe but certainly not years away is what I can say.

• yoav_weiss
    yoav_weiss
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks guys!

• You're welcome, @yoav_weiss.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.