1PW 6.5.1 crashes on iOS 10.2

Options
mesokris
mesokris
Community Member

Yesterday I loaded on my iPhone 7 and iPad air 2 1Password 6.5.1. Now the app crashes on both devices. If i want to unlock with touch id is the same problem.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bhak
    bhak
    Community Member
    Options

I have exactly the same set up with iPhone 7 and iPad Air 2 running iPassword 6.5.1 on iOS 10.2 and it crashes almost every time I start it and either enter the password or unlock it with my finger print.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mesokris, @bhak: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! It sounds like the app may simply be damaged somehow. Are you able to access your 1Password data there at all? If not, do you have it on another device? Definitely try restarting the device and let me know if that helps. Thanks in advance!

• bhak
    bhak
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I can read the data on my Mac. I have uninstalled the iOS app and re-installed. Seems a bit better. Now it seems to have settled. Could it have had anything to do with incompatibilities with Mac 6.5.? which has just be undated to 6.5.3? I was more or less checking to see if anyone else had this problem. Thanks for the quick reply.

• mesokris
    mesokris
    Community Member
    Options

I'm able to use the extensions on IOS, but can't start the app after restarting both devices.
    Its important to start the app to find log dates or similar. Version 6.5 worked well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi. I can read the data on my Mac. I have uninstalled the iOS app and re-installed. Seems a bit better. Now it seems to have settled. Could it have had anything to do with incompatibilities with Mac 6.5.? which has just be undated to 6.5.3? I was more or less checking to see if anyone else had this problem. Thanks for the quick reply.

@bhak: Likewise, thanks for letting me know that helped! Definitely not a compatibility issue, as the Mac and iOS apps actually share a lot of code and a common development team. It really sounds like the app become corrupt during the update process, since reinstalling it did the trick. You should be all set, but we're here if you need anything else! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mesokris: I'm sorry that you're not able to even launch 1Password for iOS on your device successfully after the App Store update. That certainly isn't normal or acceptable. Can you tell me if you have your 1Password data stored on other devices? It really sounds like reinstalling may be the way to go, but I don't want to take any changes with your data. Let me know!

• bhak
    bhak
    Community Member
    Options

Well it seems to have settled. I deleted both apps on my iPhone and iPad and re-installed them. Back to normal. But when I did my iPhone several days ago, it was still crashing. Something has changed but since it is working now perhaps it was a Dropbox problem. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bhak: I really doubt it had anything to do with Dropbox since it sounds like the app was crashing before it even got that far. It's odd if the update didn't complete properly for some reason, but I'm glad to hear it's working for you now. Have a great weekend and happy holidays! :)

• azrobbo
    azrobbo
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

1PW 6.5.1 crashed repeatedly on iOS 10.2 (iPhone 6s+) today as well.

Based on my experiences, I suspect there may be a problem with TouchID authentication when starting the App for the first time. As it crashed every time I tried to launch the app (from non-running state) and authenticate with TouchID. But, as soon as I authenticated with my password, it worked normally. (and touchID seems to work when resuming the app.)

(a crash report was submitted for at least one of these crashes)

Reproduction Steps -

1st try - first launch & TouchID authentication (CRASH)

• Launched 1PW 6.5.1
    • prompted to login with password, selected TouchID instead
    • USED TouchID TO AUTHENTICATE
    • authentication was successful and it briefly displayed my vault
    • CRASHED in less than a second

2nd try - re-launched app (after crash with no-reboot) & used TouchID authentication (CRASH)

• re-launched 1PW (DID NOT REBOOT PHONE)

3rd try - rebooted phone, launched app & used TouchID authentication (CRASH)

• reboot phone
    • Launched 1PW 6.5.1

4th try - rebooted phone, launched app & used password authentication (SUCCESS)

• rebooted phone
    • Launched 1PW 6.5.1
    • prompted to login with password
    • ENTERED PASSWORD TO AUTHENTICATE instead of Touch ID (unlike previous attempts)
    • authentication was successful and it displayed my vault & worked without issue

It now unlocks with TouchID (hours later), although this could be related to the app being resumed versus starting for the first time.

• mesokris
    mesokris
    Community Member
    Options

Dropbox for all devices

• mesokris
    mesokris
    Community Member
    Options

@azrobbo: your 4th try works on iPad air 2, but not on my iPhone 7. it crashes after 1th try by password

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@azrobbo: I suspect that the only solution is to reinstall as others have done, but I really appreciate your diligence in reporting this.

Would you be willing to send us some diagnostic information? If there is anything we can do to prevent this from happening going forward, that may help us track it down.

Just enable the following in 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings: App, Keychain, Lock, and UI Lock. Then, if you encounter the issue again, immediately send the diagnostics:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs, and if you'll post the Support ID you receive here that will help with the context. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mesokris: Thanks for getting back to me! I think the best thing to do would be to reinstall the app and sync your data back, but I'd appreciate it if you could send some diagnostic information as described above first in case it can shed some light on what's causing this. Cheers! :)

• mesokris
    mesokris
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: I've already done this three times and it did not help?????

• mesokris
    mesokris
    Community Member
    Options

I have set the diagnostic settings as described. However, I can not send the data because I can not start the app once it crashed. what should I do?

• mesokris
    mesokris
    Community Member
    Options

After the reinstallation I can start the app on the iPhone 7 only one time when setting up. The next time the app crashes immediately. Whether I have activated touch-ID or not.

• Ben
    Options

@mesokris,

When you reinstalled 1Password did you sync your data to it, or create a new vault?

Ben

• mesokris
    mesokris
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben, sync with dropbox (iphone and iPad).
    On my older iPhone the former version 6.5 works well with ios 10.2.

• Ben
    Options

@mrsokris,

Please send us a report from the older iPhone following Brenty's instructions:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/346786/#Comment_346786

Thanks!

Ben

• mesokris
    mesokris
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using 2 Macs, 1 Win PC, and 3 ios devices and sync all with dropbox

• mesokris
    mesokris
    Community Member
    Options

I sent a few minutes ago
    support ID is [#FUA-73642-563].

• alias
    alias
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, same here, 6.5.1 crashed on iOS 10.2 on an iPad Air (no touchID, no Dropbox!). Actually it didn't crash entirely, it opened fine but didn't show any of the logins, and the vaults had funny names like "B5 alphanumeric_jumble". Delete and reinstall has fixed the app itself.

However the browser extension for Safari keeps crashing when the App is kept in-locked upon exit. I.e. I when I need to enter the master password in the extension, it works. However after that when I reopen the extension it flashes the login screen, shows the "open vault" animation, but then the extension's window is grey and the entire Safari App becomes unresponsive until 1password is locked again.

Any hi t on what to do about the Safari extension? Thanks!

• alias
    alias
    Community Member
    Options

... and just after posting here, I opened 1password again and all the logins have disappeared again! :-(

Will send diagnostic report now ...

• azrobbo
    azrobbo
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

@brenty

Thanks for your advice. I've turned on logging for the four items you've listed. If it crashes again I'll submit the logs.

NOTE: I'm syncing with WiFi sync only, and I'm using the same version of 1PW & iOS on an iPad Air 2, and the macOS version and did not experience any problems on those platforms.

Fortunately, after my initial issues, I've not had any further problems. This is likely because I haven't restarted my phone since I got it working.

The delete / reinstall suggestion reminds me of Microsoft Support's "turn computer off then back on" mantra in the 90s.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty: I've already done this three times and it did not help?????

@mesokris: Well, I'm just trying to help you here. You could have mentioned that sooner. ;)

I see that you've sent in diagnostics today, so we can continue the conversation there to get this sorted out for you! :)

ref: FUA-73642-563

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alias: Thanks for sending the diagnostics. We'll take a look and get back to you as soon as possible regarding the vault problem.

Regarding the grey extension issue though, this is a known issue we're tracking. You should be able to work around it for now by enabling Lock on Exit. Let me know if that helps in the mean time.

ref: YAP-53489-673

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your advice. I've turned on logging for the four items you've listed. If it crashes again I'll submit the logs.

@azrobbo: Likewise, thanks for letting me know, and for your patience and willingness to work with us on this. Hopefully your troubles are over there, but be sure to reach out if it happens again.

NOTE: I'm syncing with WiFi sync only, and I'm using the same version of 1PW & iOS on an iPad Air 2, and the macOS version and did not experience any problems on those platforms.

That's really good to know, since it seems like this is all over the map, with different people using different configurations.

Fortunately, after my initial issues, I've not had any further problems. This is likely because I haven't restarted my phone since I got it working.
    The delete / reinstall suggestion reminds me of Microsoft Support's "turn computer off then back on" mantra in the 90s.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately that's not really a 90s thing anymore since it's often the only fix for inexplicable issues even on the futuristic computers we now carry in our pockets in the 21st century. Good grief!

• alias
    alias
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty thanks for coming back to me. Yes, locking on exit works around the greyed-out extension. I realise I can still do certain things through the extension, at the price of typing my master password all the time, which is not so easy on the iPad screen keyboard.

• Ben
    Options

@alias,

If your iPad is not Touch ID capable but you'd rather not have to type your Master Password all the time you can enable a PIN within 1Password under Settings > Security.

Ben

• bhak
    bhak
    Community Member
    Options

Quick comment. 1Password will crash like clockwork if I try to use my TouchID the first time I start it. I have my own work around. If I enter my Master Password when I first open it, TouchID works every time after that (so far). I have an iPhone 7 with iOS10.2. I have reinstalled 1Password twice on my iPhone and iPad Air2. I have even rebooted. As mentioned above, I am beginning to think there is a problem with TouchID, but could it be an Apple problem as several of us have it?

This discussion has been closed.