I note that 1pw backs up frequently and as a result more and more space is being consumed

Options

As time progressive more and more space is being taken (frequently not ever needed again) up by 1pw. Is there a way in which one can regulate how much backup space to devote to this or how long backups are kept? Sooner or later it is conceivable that my whole disk could be filled with backups unless i go thru the effort of monitoring it and deleting what i don't want. This should be done automatically. Please advise.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how long are backups kept

Comments

• MikeT
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @hjhermans,

Thanks for writing in.

Yes, there is and 1Password defaults to keeping 50 copies only, deleting the oldest one while backing up daily if there are changes. For an example, if you've made no change today, it will skip that day since it would be the same as previous backup file. You can find out more here: https://support.1password.com/guides/windows/preferences-backup.html

To change this: open the main 1Password program, unlock, and go to the File Menu > Preferences > Backups.

Please also check the backup directory, it should not be in your data folder as the backup is a compressed copy of your data folder. We've seen some users backing up into their data folder, which would then double up on the backup size every day as it would create a copy of the data folder with the backup files in it.

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. That answers the concern. Did not know about the backup configuration option.

• You're welcome. Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

This discussion has been closed.