Converting to Families complicated

Options

I am a longtime user of 1Password and I would like to utilize 1password.com using the families option. I have a Mac book Pro with Sierra and my wife has a MacBook Pro with El Capitan. We have two sons with similar equipment. My wife and I utilize Dropbox and sync everything across and it works great. We also have scanned PDFimages and added them to many of our entries. I would like to utilize you are cloud and be able to have a shared vault that my wife and I can use it also create a vault for my son that we can access and move documents to him and for which he can utilize on his MacBook Pro and iPhone.

As wonderful as you're program is the documentation to do this is a little unclear. I am nervous about losing my primary vaults and after deleting it initially I reconstituted from dropbox after going to the Advanced tab the option to allow this. I am disappointed that the images we scanned into our entries are deleted in the 1password.com version. It is nice for example to have a visual of hey credit card or the passport or the social security card Or the license.

I am going to continue to use my primary application and dropbox but it will experiment some with the online version. I am rather computer competent but at this point the documentation to get my head around the scope of what is going on and the comfort level that I need before I can convert over is just not there.

I was confused that my 673 and 73 entries on my primary account for all items, ballooned to 1243 when I created my Family personal vault.

I would appreciate any supporting information and guidance period

Thank you so much...John K

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: sierra
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jkoszuta: Indeed, it sounds like you copied your data to your 1Password.com account, but since it's still in the original vault you'll see two of everything when viewing All Vaults. You can delete the data in one place so you only have it in the other, or exclude one of them under Preferences > All Vaults to hide it. And attachments you copied from the local vault to your 1Password Account should have been converted to Documents. Are you not seeing those? I'm sorry if this caused some confusion. Is there a particular feature that drew you to 1Password.com? Obviously we'd love for you to use it, but it will be there down the road as well if you don't have a pressing need for it right now and are happy with your current setup. Either way, just let use know how we can help! :)

• AMO65
    AMO65
    Community Member
    Options

So I am confused. I was using 1password 4 and upgraded in January to 1password families to hopefully get my husband and children on board with not using the same password for EVERYTHING. But, as especially starting off, I think I did not do things right or had a clear understanding of how this worked I am confused about how to straighten things out. I can't help my family to start using either until I understand what I need to do.

I only just today figured out that when I "updated" to families that I really didn't update but instead installed 6 and 4 was still there. sometimes I would end up in the 4 vault and sometimes in the 6 vault. I have macs and PC's at home an iphone, ipads and pc's at my business all of which I use 1password on to keep my passwords for both home and business. I have two vaults (now more with family, but I really have not ventured into the shared vault because my others are a mess right now).

I have free dropbox, icloud and probably others along with a paid Box account that I use for my business. I used to be fairly computer competent, but with all the cloud inventions, I think I am sorely out of date in understanding how to manage all of this or know where to keep things. I originally had my work vault stored on my local server so it was backed up by my backup system. Then since I could not get to my work passwords when at home, I think I synced it with dropbox, but maybe I did it on my husband's work computer and not mine? Somewhere along the line my business vault stopped syncing or I have different versions of the vault out there.

Also, when I installed 6 I somehow ended up with duplicates of all my personal entries, and I didn't know how to remedy that. For a while I was deleting duplicates, but I since I didn't have time to go through all, I now have entries that the password has updated on one, but not the duplicate, so I have to go through and figure out which is the right one before deleting one. On top of that I seem to have new entries that got put into my 4 vault and I don't have in my 6 vault because I was not using what I thought I was using. I honestly thought when I started using 6 it would help me get straight on the vaults that were not aligned, but it seems I have made things worse.

I have searched on multiple occasions for the support topics that could help me sort this out, but I have spent hours looking through posts that don't seem to help me grasp what I need to do to manage all of this in language I understand.

On top of it, I don't know if I have the wrong extensions to work with 6 or what my problem is but I used to be able to autofil from the icon in my browser bar, but not anymore.

So, how do I get my 4 version vault and my 6 version vault to sync?
    If I updated a password in one version and deleted the duplicate in another version am I going to lose information or will it just keep the latest one that wasn't deleted?
    Is there a way to get rid of the duplicates easily?.
    How do I know what version I am using with the browser extension and on my iphone so I am certain I am using the right vault?
    If I use only version 6 do I have my passwords offline or do I need to continue to maintain and sync for ver 4?
    Can you even help me? I feel like I need to start over and go back to an excel spreadsheet now that I seem to have multiple versions of what I once thought were the same vault.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @AMO65,

I am sorry for the troubles with 1Password on your devices! You did the right thing by contacting us. We are here to help.

I hope you don't mind if I suggest to move this conversation to email. The situation seems to be complicated enough to do that. Please send us an email (addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com) and specify all of the devices you are using 1Password on.

Include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your message in our inbox. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Thank you very much in advance! I will be looking forward to your email.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.