How to use 1Password V6 trial when V4 trial was used over a year ago?

Options

Over a year ago I was trying various password managers including 1Password V4. I did not select a password manager at that time, but I want to purchase one this year. I went into your site and selected "Start your trial". This installed V6 on my Windows 10 machine and I also installed the Chrome extension. I received my account key and I selected a Master Password (which was different from the Master Password that I created over a year ago in V4). In the iPhone App, I created a new vault and now have 2 vaults (Personal and the new one that I created) Now, when I go into the 1Password app on my PC, it wants my V4 Master Password yet when I log in via the web site it takes my new V6 Master Password (as does my iPhone app). It seemed like the PC app was confused having 2 different accounts.

I was using DropBox for syncing in V4, so I went in and deleted all of the files used by 1Password V4 from DropBox. I then uninstalled the 1Password app from my PC and removed all references to 1Password in the registry. I then installed the 1Passwod app on my PC again in a clean state. However, it still will only let me in with my old V4 Master Password (but I no longer see the logins that I had setup in V4 originally since I deleted the DropBox files). It is interesting to note that I do see the new vault that I created on my phone. This problem occurs both when I start 1Password in Windows directly or when I start it by clicking the icon in the Chrome extension area.

The problem in only on my PC as the iPhone app that I installed is working properly.

I am not sure how to get a clean install of V6 to work properly (so that it uses the new Master Password).

1Password Version: 6.2.333d
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: Windows 10 (10.0.14393 build 14393}
Sync Type: not sure

Comments

• Widget
    Widget
    Community Member
    Options

Some additional information follows. I have added several new Login items into my vault. According to the Youtube video "Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQzbn4SCiZg), I should now be able to click on my Chrome extension, and perform a "go and fill" to login to one of my sites in my vault. However, when I click the 1Password browser extension in Chrome and select the proper vault, the extension window just says "no suitable items found, start typing to search in all items".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Widget: Thanks for reaching out. I’m really sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you setup the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app initially with the local vault stored in Dropbox, so that's the Master Password which will be required until you change it. There's no need to reset the app though. Just follow these steps:

1. Go to 1Password Settings (the "gear" icon) > Accounts & Vaults > (Dropbox vault) > Remove.
    2. Go to Settings > Options > Security > Change Master Password
    3. Set it to the Master Password you setup for your 1Password.com Account

That should take care of that for you!

Next, the 1Password browser extension will offer you only logins matching the current URL when you open it in the browser. So you can either go to the website first before invoking 1Password (Ctrl \ is great!) or type in the search box as suggested to find the login you're looking for, and then select it to have 1Password open the page to fill there.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.