disambiguating items with identical names in different vaults

mircolino
mircolino
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Before opening a "Family" account I used to have a single vault with, for example, the following items:

Wells Fargo VISA (personal)
Wells Fargo VISA (business)

After migrating to the "Family" account I now have:

personal vault -> Wells Fargo VISA
business vault -> Wells Fargo VISA

In the "All Vaults" view, the web portal correctly identifies (with the headshot) which vault each item belongs to.
Not so in the Windows application, Android application and Chrome extension.
Anyway to fix this?

1Password Version: 6.2.333d
Extension Version: 4.6.3.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mircolino: I've been doing this for years, so I've just been doing something like your example there: putting differentiators in the item names themselves.

Recently we introduced a feature in 1Password for Mac which displays the username next to item titles in the browser if they match otherwise. I'm not sure that covers all use cases, but it's something we'd like to bring to other platforms as well, along with other UI enhancements (like icons) to help with this. The only solution right now though is to name them distinctly yourself. Thanks for your feedback on this!

• mircolino
    mircolino
    Community Member

In case of logins, usernames are indeed displayed below the items name: it helps, but it's not exactly user friendly.
    With credit cards, bank account etc. however the last four digits of the account is displayed instead: which is even less user friendly, unless you remember all your CC and bank accounts.
    The headshots of the webportal is the most elegant solution to this UI problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In case of logins, usernames are indeed displayed below the items name: it helps, but it's not exactly user friendly.

@mircolino: Hmm. Can you give me a better sense of why you find usernames not helpful? I know that the username display is for many people, but may be a matter of personal preference.

With credit cards, bank account etc. however the last four digits of the account is displayed instead: which is even less user friendly, unless you remember all your CC and bank accounts.

I dont care for this much myself either. It's similar to what credit card companies show me on their website for my bank accounts when making a payment, so I've learned to recognize some of these...but it is a bit cryptic and I'm aways afraid of making a mistake. But "last 4" is unfortunately fairly standard, and often the only way to differentiate. For example, I have business and personal accounts with the same bank, both in my own account's vault.

The headshots of the webportal is the most elegant solution to this UI problem.

I agree that the vault icons sound like they'd help in your case, but it does leave me wanting more, since myself and others often have multiple similar items within the same account/vault. Hopefully we can come up with a good solution that helps even more people. :)

• mircolino
    mircolino
    Community Member

@brenty: Can you give me a better sense of why you find usernames not helpful?

For example, Wells Fargo (for security purposes) started forcing me to change, not just the password, but also the username every few months or so. After exhausting all my usual usernames I started generating completely random ones using your 1Password password generator. With both my personal and business login using completely indecifrabile usernames, you see how displaying them is not very helpful.

so I've learned to recognize some of these...but it is a bit cryptic and I'm aways afraid of making a mistake

That's exactly my point: without being able to identify the vault, I'm always afraid of charging the wrong credit card or using the wrong bank account.

I agree that the vault icons sound like they'd help in your case, but it does leave me wanting more, since myself and others often have multiple similar items within the same account/vault. Hopefully we can come up with a good solution that helps even more people

To identify similar items within the same vault I think a name change (pre/postfix) is warranted and justified. To identify similar items from different vaults, a name change is redundant and unnecessary.
    If for nothing else I'd add the vault icon to each item, to maintain UI consistency across all your platforms, given that your web app already does it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

For example, Wells Fargo (for security purposes) started forcing me to change, not just the password, but also the username every few months or so. After exhausting all my usual usernames I started generating completely random ones using your 1Password password generator. With both my personal and business login using completely indecifrabile usernames, you see how displaying them is not very helpful.

@mircolino: Oh wow. I hadn't heard of that. That certainly makes the username less useful, if you can't remember what it is (or read it, really). I'm glad to hear that the password generator has been a help with that at least!

That's exactly my point: without being able to identify the vault, I'm always afraid of charging the wrong credit card or using the wrong bank account.

Indeed. Definitely something worth improving. In the mean time, here's how I manage this, in case it helps. I'll have a number of Credit Card items listed in the app by title, like this:

Citi MasterCard
    Chase Visa
    Chase Business
    Chase Debit (Brenty)
    Chase Debit (Wife)
    Discover (Brenty)
    Discover (Wife)

Obviously there are still situations where I need to identify using the last 4 digits (/cough website /cough), but those are a bit outside of 1Password's control, and I find that this helps me easily differentiate between them in 1Password at least. So far I actually prefer this anyway, since it lets me choose how to identify them myself, instead of having 1Password do it programatically, perhaps not to my taste.

To identify similar items within the same vault I think a name change (pre/postfix) is warranted and justified. To identify similar items from different vaults, a name change is redundant and unnecessary.

I had to read that a few times, but I think I've got it now. I guess my own preference above makes me happy since it makes viewing all of the credit cards across all vaults uniform and, if I do say so myself, rather tidy. hehe

If for nothing else I'd add the vault icon to each item, to maintain UI consistency across all your platforms, given that your web app already does it.

I think you're right about the icons. Even though it doesn't solve all of our problems, it does some and looks rather nice too. Thank you for taking the time to elaborate for me! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.