Understanding Windows Client & Chrome Extension Architecture

Options

Hi Guys! New user here, technically savvy. Got an app key yesterday with the free trial, installed the latest Win 10 client at home, installed the iOS app on my iPhone, and installed the Chrome Extension in my browser (having been logged into Chrome with my Google ID). Used successfully at home. When I got to work today, tried to use the Chrome Extension to access my login for a website (also logged into Chrome with my Google ID), and after resolving the proxy server problems (had to bypass for 127.0.0.1, which the company will work on making a permanent exception), I was still surprised to see that the Extension was trying to start the local 1Password client and asking me to open a vault - which I don't have yet on my work computer. I was under the impression that my data was in the 1Password cloud, and that I wouldn't have to create, restore, or recreate a vault on every computer that I want to run the Chrome browser on. That would be tricky, because my company blocks access to Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

What I am I missing about how 1Password works?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JetgloRicky: Excellent question! I suspect this will come up more and more now that 1Password.com exists. The extensions very much depend on the main 1Password app for filling/saving logic, so it isn't possible to use them without installing the app first.

But it's important to note that 1Password has been around for 10 years, using local vaults exclusively before we introduced the subscription services last year, so the extensions are very much built with this in mind — and we have no plans to make all of our long-time customers ditch their licenses and move to the 1Password.com subscription service.

Additionally, building all of the logic into self-contained extensions for each browser is a bit of a technical challenge. Certainly it's something we're interested in since in some cases folks cannot or choose not to install an app, but it would unfortunately depend on the subscription service, since that can host the data in the absence of the app itself.

So I guess that's the long way of saying "you gotta install 1Password to use the extension in your browser", but be sure to let me know if you have any other questions. And if you're using a 1Password.com Account, Dropbox and Google Drive are not needed: you simply login to your account on each device to access your data. Cheers! :)

• JetgloRicky
    JetgloRicky
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. Here is my feedback which will hopefully lead you to take steps to make adoption of your product easier, and gain you more customers.

What happened during my first foray into 1password:

1. Opted to try the 1password.com version
    2. Installed on Windows 10 home computer
    3. Installed Chrome Extension on home computer
    4. Intalled iOS app on iPhone
    5. Got it all working
    6. Went to work and tried to use browser extension on Windows 7 work computer
    7. Was confronted with the need to have a local client running to enable browser extension
    8. Running the (version 4.x) Windows 7 client required creating or opening a vault in the initial splash screen; it wasn't clear what I should do at this point, because the intention was to use the 1password.com service.
    9. Contacted you via this forum.
    10. Tried running the Windows 7 client and created an empty local vault to get past the splash screen
    11. Thereafter, the Chrome extension was able to authenticate, and I was able to use my 1password.com vault to access my data

I'm left with the feeling that, for 1password.com to be the killer password manager app, you should invest in implementing the full logic into the browser extensions, because then it would be as easy as it was when I was using my Chrome Login to remember passwords: it worked wherever I was logged in, and I could log out of Chrome any time I wanted for security.

In the interim, I may simply fall back to the Log Into Google Chrome solution - though I'd better review the security model used by Google in implementing their password protection.

• Hi @JetgloRicky,

Thanks for the detailed feedback, we really appreciate it.

We'll see if we can update 1Password 4 and the extension's page to inform people that they need to install 1Password 6 if they want to sign in to 1Password.com since 1Password 4 doesn't support 1Password.com service.

Usually, the process for customers to set up on new computers is to sign-in first onto the 1Password.com web site and use the "Get the Apps" page to download the app they need, which you can see here: https://support.1password.com/1password-setup/?win#set-up-the-apps

Thereafter, the Chrome extension was able to authenticate, and I was able to use my 1password.com vault to access my data

I'm confused, 1Password 4 does not support 1Password.com service, so what do you mean you were able to access your data? Did you mean you uninstalled 1Password 4 and reinstalled 1Password 6 at this stage?

I'm left with the feeling that, for 1password.com to be the killer password manager app, you should invest in implementing the full logic into the browser extensions, because then it would be as easy as it was when I was using my Chrome Login to remember passwords: it worked wherever I was logged in, and I could log out of Chrome any time I wanted for security.

1Password isn't designed as a password manager for your browsers only, it's a secure information manager, it does far more than just filling your data. 1Password support storing all sorts of information, such as your passport, driver license, credit cards, sensitive documents, and more, and you can access it securely on any platform 1Password is on, including your mobile devices (Android or iOS), smart watch (Apple Watch), computers (macOS/ Windows), and 1Password.com web app.

In addition, 1Password also supports filling into many browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Vivaldi, Brave, and soon Edge. Not to mention, third party apps once we implement auto-type support in 1Password 6. It can also monitor breaches to inform you if any of your items could be involved via its Watchtower feature. 1Password stores all of this information in a secure vault that only you can access but you can choose to share some some of this data in a separate vault with your co-workers, friends, and family members.

We would love to implement a self-contained browser extension where you don't need the app but it is very limited in what it can do, it wouldn't support other features like I've mentioned above.

• JetgloRicky
    JetgloRicky
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hello @MikeT,

Yes, if you are are confused, you can imagine how confused I was, along with another technologist where I work (a security professional by trade). I'm assuming that since I downloaded the client from a Windows 10 box at home, I was offered the 1Password 6 client, but that when I downloaded the client from a Windows 7 box at work, I was offered the 1Password 4 client. This client wouldn't let you past the splash screen without creating a local vault - as previously stated. Once I did create an empty local vault with the 1Password 4 client, the Chrome extension on that machine began to work, where previously it absolutely would not (always complained about needing the 1Password Helper to be running), and that is what I meant by my being able to access my 1Password.com data: through the Chrome extension. Of course, nothing was visible in the (still) empty 1Password 4 client vault.

Hope that helps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JetgloRicky: Ah, I see. (Un)fortunately our site has no way of knowing which version of 1Password you prefer based on your OS (I hedge that because even if it could, that would be creepy). Some folks prefer the standalone licensed version, so we're committed to continue to offer that. I'm sorry for the confusion that caused you! It definitely helps to get all of this feedback. And we're working hard to make 1Password 6 suitable for all Windows users to avoid this same confusion in the future. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.