Keyboard shortcut vs Open and Fill?

Options

Comments

• rigray
    rigray
    Community Member
    Options

Can you shed any light on my experience below?

I set up a username and password for logging in to a website, using the 1PW password generator.

I can log in using the 1PW shortcut key (cmd-backslash) but if I use the “open and fill” 1PW route, another tab opens for the same website (with login details highlighted in yellow, presumably by iCloud keychain) but I am not logged in.

I am trying to evaluate the program - which I would like to use - but am discouraged by this apparent inconsistency.

• rigray
    rigray
    Community Member
    Options

Can you shed any light on my experience below?

I set up a username and password for logging in to a website, using the 1PW password generator.

I can log in using the 1PW shortcut key (cmd-backslash) but if I use the “open and fill” 1PW route, another tab opens for the same website (with login details highlighted in yellow, presumably by iCloud keychain) but I am not logged in.

I am trying to evaluate the program - which I would like to use - but am discouraged by this apparent inconsistency.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.5.3 (653000) AgileBits Store
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rigray,

I noticed you posted the same question in two different threads, so I merged them together and moved the discussion to our Saving and Filling in Browsers forum. I hope you don't mind!

When you use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut, 1Password will try to fill your username and password on the site you're currently viewing (assuming you've already saved a Login item for that site, of course).

On the other hand, when you use the "open and fill" option, 1Password will open the site first (resulting in a new browser tab or window) and then try to fill your username/password. In other words, when you tell 1Password to "open and fill", it will literally do both of those things. It works the same way as when you click a URL from another app on your computer (i.e. it opens that site in a new browser tab or window even if that site is already open).

I hope that helps to clear up the confusion! If you have more questions or need anything else, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• rigray
    rigray
    Community Member
    Options

I'm afraid I remain confused!

I find that on occasion 1Password will log me straight into a website. At other times it seems that it will fill the login details only (i.e. stop at the login page without logging me in). Or perhaps it is opening the website login page only and the login details are actually being filled in by ICloud keychain (as these are highlighted in yellow), in which case 1Password is not working as I would have expected.

Sometimes when I use the cmd/backslash keyboard shortcut (having already saved a login item in 1Password), nothing happens at all (the login field remains empty and no login occurs).

Is there a means of ensuring that 1Password acts in a uniform manner?

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @rigray,

Sorry about 1Password not working in a uniform manner. First off I would recommend disabling the browser's built-in password manager as that can conflict with 1Password since they are essentially fulfilling the same role during the filling process.

Once you have done that please try filling again to see if that was the issue.

In the case that 1Password doesn't fill in your details even though they are present in your 1Password Login item - could I ask if you have created the Login item manually in the 1Password app or if you used the 1Password Auto-Save feature? The Auto-Save feature is simply when 1Password detects that you have logged into a website and offers to create a new Login item at that point. Using Login items that have been created using the Auto-Save feature are generally a more reliable to fill in Login forms than items that were created manually. This is because during the Auto-Save process - 1Password records extra information about the login page (aka Web Form Details) that allows it to fill in the username and password in a more reliable manner.

If you have already created a 1Password Login item in 1Password manually, then 1Password won't offer to create a new item using Auto-Save - but if you would like to go ahead and force 1Password to create another Login item using this method you can. Just follow the instructions on the Save a Login manually webpage to do this. Once you have a new Login item, please try using it to see if that works better.

Please let me know how that goes for you - hopefully that will help to get 1Password working in a more reliable fashion for you.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.