Did I just join at a bad time?

Options

I do not know why this software is so praised.

My pros and cons thus far, and maybe the devs will respond and enlighten me. Starting with the cons
Cons
-I really don't like this 1password mini. I was sold on the browser extension which did everything the mini seems to be doing. Now I have to open some little mini app to do what I could apparently do before just inside my browser.
-Slow support via email. Ive got the families membership. Sent an email a day or two ago. Nothing but auto response so far.
-Inconsistent between the apps and extensions. Seeing just the site I am on and no other options is in the extension vs mini is just annoying.
-The helper plugin or whatever to make the extension work seems problematic.
-The primary windows app is just bland. Like 4 or 5 colors? Stuck with the same vault icon over and over.
-Doesn't auto login like it should with at least two sites now for me. (Granted that's a small amount, but hey, first impressions and all).
-Some times gives me issues with new sign ups at places. I mentioned this in another forum with the steam for example. Works fine for them, but nope, not me. Probably my fault somehow. =\

Pros
-Stores lots of stuff.
-Has a few icons for the non website password stuff, like social security.
-Multi platform support.

Right now the cons are really outweighing the pros for me.

1Password Version: 6.2.333d
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: Windows 7 / 10 / Latest IOS
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jassword
    Jassword
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Sounds like the words from a zealous Apple cultist. I am still evaluating 1Password 4 on Windows and my experience is entirely the opposite and I've seen 1Password 6 both on Windows and on Mac though friends. I find both the previous comments very unhelpful and suggest others disregard them. The forum should have up and down voting buttons so misleading posts like these can be flagged. Instead of general griping, be helpful and work through specific issues one at a time. Otherwise, your comments just take up space.

• Wolfen420
    Wolfen420
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hey, this is my experience thus far. Just because yours differs doesn't mean it will be peachy and wonderful for everyone else. Now, I didn't go on with a rant to say its crap. I expressed my direct issues with stuff. And maybe it will get a response from the devs, maybe it won't.

They are quick to respond on here that's for sure. But seems like they don't see a need to do so thus far.

But their videos are out of date, the information is out of date. So it's fair to me to feel a bit annoyed that the information I was sold on isn't exactly what I was expecting based on what I saw and read.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Wolfen420: We try to reply to comments in the order in which they're received, so I'm just reading this now. Sorry for the delay. :)

I think you have every right to be annoyed when we haven't met your expectations, whether that be with support our our products themselves, and I find that constructive criticism is more beneficial to everyone involved. After all, if you and others here with complaints didn't want 1Password to be better, you probably wouldn't bother taking the time to post! And when there are actionable suggestions, we can integrate those into the development process. Certainly that may not mean change on the time scale you or I would prefer, but progress is progress, and we're working hard every day to make 1Password better for all of us.

Getting back to your comments, first and foremost, if you or anyone else feels that 1Password isn't a good fit for you, for whatever reason, please email us at support@agilebits.com and we'll take care of you.

However, in your case it sounds like we may just need to help you sort out your issues and make some improvements to the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app:

Cons
    -I really don't like this 1password mini. I was sold on the browser extension which did everything the mini seems to be doing. Now I have to open some little mini app to do what I could apparently do before just inside my browser.

This may be a matter of personal taste or specific functionality, depending on what you're referring to. Essentially, 1Password mini is the same concept as what we have in the Mac app, and what in 1Password 4 was referred to as 1Password Helper. However, we'll be the first to admit that it doesn't have all of the features we want yet in the new Windows version, such as categories. Is that what you're referring to? Definitely room for improvement.

-Slow support via email. Ive got the families membership. Sent an email a day or two ago. Nothing but auto response so far.

I apologize for that. We do prioritize forum support since many people can be helped there, but that's not an excuse for you having to wait. I'll follow up there as well in case there's anything that needs to be addressed more privately.

-Inconsistent between the apps and extensions. Seeing just the site I am on and no other options is in the extension vs mini is just annoying.

I agree. While you can always type in the search box as suggested to find other data, we do want to make this more intuitive.

-The helper plugin or whatever to make the extension work seems problematic.

Can you tell me more about the problem you're having? Are you receiving some sort of error? 1Password mini is actually part of the main 1Password app, so, unlike the Helper, we don't run into the issue of it not launching. If 1Password is open, so is mini — although there may be something else interfering.

-The primary windows app is just bland. Like 4 or 5 colors? Stuck with the same vault icon over and over.

We'll be adding more icons as we go, and that will help a lot. I think that "bland" is pretty subjective (all of the other apps are predominantly grey and white as well), but we're open to suggestions!

-Doesn't auto login like it should with at least two sites now for me. (Granted that's a small amount, but hey, first impressions and all).

Totally! Obviously 1Password won't work perfectly will all sites, but we're constantly — and I mean constantly — making it smarter. Be sure to let us know the URLs that are giving you trouble. There's probably something we can do to help!

-Some times gives me issues with new sign ups at places. I mentioned this in another forum with the steam for example. Works fine for them, but nope, not me. Probably my fault somehow. =\

It almost certainly isn't your fault; there are simply a lot of factors involved...and based on some of your other comments, I suspect this may be related to other issues you're having. Be sure to let us know so we can investigate!

Pros
    -Stores lots of stuff.
    -Has a few icons for the non website password stuff, like social security.
    -Multi platform support.
    Right now the cons are really outweighing the pros for me.

I understand completely. While I appreciate that you added some "pros" at the end there, it doesn't seem like your heart was in it — and I understand completely: after all, you're not having a good experience. One way or another though, I'm sure we can turn that around. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

ref: BHG-43323-667

• Wolfen420
    Wolfen420
    Community Member
    Options

I really need to figure out how to direct reply on this site haha.
    "This may be a matter of personal taste or specific functionality, depending on what you're referring to. Essentially, 1Password mini is the same concept as what we have in the Mac app, and what in 1Password 4 was referred to as 1Password Helper. However, we'll be the first to admit that it doesn't have all of the features we want yet in the new Windows version, such as categories. Is that what you're referring to? Definitely room for improvement."

The videos show the user clicking on the 1password icon extension button and all of their logins are right there. Now it's kind of the other way with only the site I am on showing and having to use mini to get to the entire list. Which "personally" I am not a fan of. While typing in search works on the extension that defeats the purpose of what I saw before where I could just peruse the list and click once. I am striving for ultimate laziness I guess. Maybe you can make this optional. Somewhere in the preferences saying minimal list or full list?

"Can you tell me more about the problem you're having? Are you receiving some sort of error? 1Password mini is actually part of the main 1Password app, so, unlike the Helper, we don't run into the issue of it not launching. If 1Password is open, so is mini — although there may be something else interfering."

It took me several tries to get the helper working on my home PC under windows 10. I didn't have anything blocking it. It did eventually work, but obviously a tad frustrating when it takes several reloads of the page to make it work. That's all it was. Reloading until it said ok. Granted this could be a bonus the mini has over the extension. Also I assume less work for you guys if you end up with a small app limiting the amount of extensions / browsers you need to support.
    _
    "We'll be adding more icons as we go, and that will help a lot. I think that "bland" is pretty subjective (all of the other apps are predominantly grey and white as well), but we're open to suggestions!"_

Definitely a preference thing. Maybe even just add some variable skins? Light, medium, dark? Eventually more icons. Re-enable custom icons. I know this was a problem (after more research) but it just seems like a downgrade... a step backwards. A fluff feature, but a nice one that was visually appealing.

"I understand completely. While I appreciate that you added some "pros" at the end there, it doesn't seem like your heart was in it — and I understand completely: after all, you're not having a good experience. One way or another though, I'm sure we can turn that around. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)"

Difficult to write pros when you are frustrated. But I wanted to give credit where I thought it was due. As the kinks are starting to work out I am liking it better. But some of my complaints (especially the cosmetic, and the mini vs extension) still stand for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I really need to figure out how to direct reply on this site haha.

@Wolfen420: It looks like you did! :sunglasses:

The videos show the user clicking on the 1password icon extension button and all of their logins are right there. Now it's kind of the other way with only the site I am on showing and having to use mini to get to the entire list. Which "personally" I am not a fan of. While typing in search works on the extension that defeats the purpose of what I saw before where I could just peruse the list and click once. I am striving for ultimate laziness I guess. Maybe you can make this optional. Somewhere in the preferences saying minimal list or full list?

We'll continue to make the new Windows app (especially in the browser) work more like 1Password for Mac (as shown in the videos). In both cases currently, opening 1Password in the browser will show you any logins matching the current URL, and then you can search if you want to find others. I don't personally find this too useful because I have so many, but one trick you can do with 1Password for Windows is press Ctrl Alt \ to bring up the entire list right off the bat.

It took me several tries to get the helper working on my home PC under windows 10. I didn't have anything blocking it. It did eventually work, but obviously a tad frustrating when it takes several reloads of the page to make it work. That's all it was. Reloading until it said ok. Granted this could be a bonus the mini has over the extension. Also I assume less work for you guys if you end up with a small app limiting the amount of extensions / browsers you need to support.

I'm glad to hear it's working for you now, but be sure to let us know if you encounter any further issues. If nothing's interfering, you shouldn't have this kind of trouble after the connection has been established.

Difficult to write pros when you are frustrated. But I wanted to give credit where I thought it was due. As the kinks are starting to work out I am liking it better. But some of my complaints (especially the cosmetic, and the mini vs extension) still stand for me.

Totally. You've done your part by giving us this feedback, and it's greatly appreciated! It's our job to keep the improvements coming. Keep an eye out for updates! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.