[Feature Request] Remember generator settings for each login and allow optional symbols

Options

I always want to generate passwords that are maximally robust up to the criteria of each particular web site. And I want to easily and quickly change those passwords periodically. But this is very hard to do if the 1Password generator doesn't remember the settings used for the last password created for each login. In addition, many sites only accept a certain set of special characters/symbols so you should also be able to specify the acceptable set of chars allowed for each login, as well as global default.

Consequently, I have to continually play around with the generator settings each time I update a password. Most sites don't clearly tell you up front what the specific requirements are. Especially, when they require/allow for special chars, I still have to generate a few times until the string has only the acceptable ones.

So please, please, please:

1. Remember the password generator settings on a per-login basis.
  2. Provide a global default for the set of special characters/symbols used in the generated password.
  3. Provide an optional override of that character set for each login.

Thanks

1Password Version: 4.6.1.617
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jassword: First, keep in mind that it doesn't benefit you to change strong passwords unless the site (or password itself) has been compromised. Otherwise, you're really just making more work for yourself. That said, we can certainly consider making the password generator more customizable. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

• Jassword
    Jassword
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, but there can be some time between when a site is compromised and when you find about it. Yahoo, for example. So I follow the general rule of updating the passwords for at least my financial and other more important accounts on some periodic basis. But clearly, whenever you do update a robust password, you don't want to have figure out again, often by trial and error, what the maximal generator settings are for that site. PasswordSafe (which I've been using previously) lets you customize a per-login generator policy with all kinds of settings, including a custom set of special chars. For 1Password, just add an optional custom special character field to the existing popup and remember the per-login settings internally is all I ask.

• MikeT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @Jassword,

We do plan to retain the presets you set for each site and in addition, we'd like to add a database for 1Password to store known presets as well, like our Watchtower service. Basically, if you don't set your own preset for the site, 1Password could check this database locally to see if there is an existing preset it could use and if not, set to previously used preset. It doesn't make sense to do it individually when we can upload the known presets ourselves for everyone to benefit from.

• Jassword
    Jassword
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent, I hope to see this implemented soon.

• MikeT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Well, we can't promise it would be soon, this is low on our to do list as we have a lot of work to do on 1Password 6 first but we do want to see this sooner.

• Jassword
    Jassword
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Ahh, well. It does bother me a little that this is low on your list. I was actually very surprised to see that this was not yet there after all this time. I have no need for 1Password 6, personally, at least until it is available as a non-subscription version with WLAN syncing on Windows. I also found the UI wanting, compared to 1Password 4. I recall looking at 1Password some years ago and at the time decided that PasswordSafe, even with it's earlier bugs and quirks, was more to my needs. But you folks have come a long way since then and I was easily compelled now to switch.

• MikeT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Well, in order to go further with 1Password, we need a clean, modern and flexible/modular codebase, which is what 1Password 6 is all about. With this structure we have, we can add more features quicker and be more consistent with 1Password apps on all platforms but it will take some time since 1Password 4 is based on a mature codebase started back in 2010.

1Password 6 will replace 1Password 4 once it matches and exceeds the feature parity of 1Password 4. Til then, 1Password 4 is the most complete and mature version on Windows and will continue to get updates while we work on building up 1Password 6.

• Jassword
    Jassword
    Community Member
    Options

As a veteran software developer myself, I completely understand, even though my priorities would be a little different.

• Yep, it's always difficult for us to try to accommodate everyone's unique needs/priority but we'll make it happen, just need more time.

This discussion has been closed.