Deleting Items (records) from Vault in 1Password Account

Options

I am a long time user of 1Password for Mac, and up to now have synced my vault to Dropbox. Recently I began using 1Password 6 for Windows and noted that it did not seem possible to edit items in the vault (synched to Dropbox) within the Windows app. It seemed that the Windows app was able to read the vault but not write to it. Please confirm if my understanding is correct. Accordingly, I created a 1Password Account and copied by vault from Dropbox to the 1Password Account. (I have not yet deleted the vault synched to Dropbox.) The Windows app is able to write to the new vault that is synched to the 1Password Account. It can create new items and edit old items. However I cannot get the Windows app to perform a function that is easily done in 1 Password 6 for Mac. In the Mac app it is possible to "left" (single finger) click on an item in the list of items (to select it) and then "right" (two finger) click on that selected item to bring up a menu, one item of which is "Move to Trash". Selecting the latter deletes the item. I cannot figure out how to perform the same action (delete an item) in the Windows version of the app. Put another way, I can get the Windows app to edit an item, but not totally delete it. How is deletion of an item done in 1Password 6 for Windows?

1Password Version: 6.2.333d
Extension Version: NA
OS Version: Windows 10 Home
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Alan Stempel,

Thank you for getting in touch! :) I am sorry for the confusion with 1Password 6 for Windows.

We are building it from the ground up and it supports local vaults in read-only mode at the moment. That is the reason why you can't edit items in your local vault synced via Dropbox. We have plans to bring a full support for local vaults, but I don't have any timeframe now.

As for the item deletion in 1Password 6 you should be able to right-click on the item and then choose "Move to trash":

Please elaborate what difficulties you have with it? If you describe the exact steps you are taking, it will be really helpful. :) We are here to help, so I will be looking forward to your reply.

Thank you!

++
    Greg

• Alan_Stempel
    Alan_Stempel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg, after reading your post I again tried right clicking on an item in a vault synched to my 1Password account in the Windows app (version 6) and, indeed, this does bring up a menu which permits sending the item to the trash. I don't know why this did not work when I tried it before. (It's a new computer, only hours out of the box, so perhaps this was a touchpad driver issue that got rectified by a driver update?) But this brings me to a few additional questions. When I look at the list of available vaults I see three. Under my 1Password Account I see two vaults: (1) Personal and (2) Shared. The first contains the data copied from my vault on Dropbox. The second is empty. The third vault is that synched to Dropbox. Q1: What is the purpose of the Shared vault synched to the 1Password Account? Does this vault get used only if one has a Family account? Q2: What will be the advantage(s) of synching to a 1Password Account over synching to Dropbox, once the Windows app has been updated to permit writing to a local vault such as Dropbox?

As a side note, I would remark that I started out as a user of 1Password on the Mac, and did not like earlier versions of the Windows app in comparison to the Mac version. Indeed, I absolutely detested some of the earlier Windows versions. However, Version 6 of the Windows app is vastly improved, virtually indistinguishable from the Mac app. Good work! Fix the write-to-local-vault issue and it will be a truly excellent app.

Thanks for your patient assistance.

Alan

• MikeT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @Alan_Stempel,

Thanks for writing back.

Q1: What is the purpose of the Shared vault synched to the 1Password Account? Does this vault get used only if one has a Family account?

All 1Password Families accounts comes with both Personal and Shared vaults by default. The Shared vault is something you can use to share items with everyone on your 1Password.com account (excluding guests) instead of you setting up a separate vault to invite everyone onto it. You can find out more here: https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/

Q2: What will be the advantage(s) of synching to a 1Password Account over synching to Dropbox, once the Windows app has been updated to permit writing to a local vault such as Dropbox?

The first is complete data management for your family members since you no longer have to create and share a separate vault file via Dropbox for each family members and to tell them the vault password to unlock it, which meant you can't revoke it later as they have access to everything in that vault. 1Password Families lets you revoke access to certain vaults, invite guests onto temporary vaults like babysitters, contractors, etc, and more.

In addition, since you're storing the data on our servers, we can have better handle on how to sync your data quickly instead of you waiting for Dropbox. Plus, you don't have to remember Dropbox credentials before you can use 1Password. All you need to remember is your 1Password.com credentials, as soon as you sign in, 1Password is ready for you. This also includes access to the 1Password.com web app using Firefox or Chrome where you can't install the actual 1Password app, like at work.

Not to mention, you don't have to worry about backups and sync for some family members that may not know how to setup Dropbox or backups, we'll handle that automatically. Again, the benefit of just knowing the 1Password.com account, sign in and you're ready to go.

As a side note, I would remark that I started out as a user of 1Password on the Mac, and did not like earlier versions of the Windows app in comparison to the Mac version. Indeed, I absolutely detested some of the earlier Windows versions. However, Version 6 of the Windows app is vastly improved, virtually indistinguishable from the Mac app. Good work! Fix the write-to-local-vault issue and it will be a truly excellent app.

Thank you, that's very kind of you to share that with us. You're going to like the 1Password 6.3 update even better as it goes a step further into matching the macOS experience as we're continuing to improve the UI in each updates along with more features implemented.

This discussion has been closed.