Two instances of 1Password4 Running in System Tray

Options

I have a situation similar to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/18224/two-instances-of-1password-mini-in-system-tray

At some point, I think that I accepted a 1Password update and afterward, I have two lock symbols in the System Tray. Also, the Chrome and IE extensions do not work, or work intermittently. One of them is active, while the other acts like it's a first time startup. Both of them appear to be pointed at the same physical installation in Program Files. I do see two different entries for 1Password in the registry. I suspect that I should eliminate one of them, but I don't know which one I should nuke.

Thanks!
Paul

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @paulohbear,

Thanks for writing in.

After the 1Password update is installed, did you reboot the computer? If not, try rebooting the computer and see if it fixes the problem.

If not, the best way to address this is to uninstall 1Password via the Control Panel and install the latest version from here: https://agilebits.com/downloads

• paulohbear
    paulohbear
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi Mike - Thanks for the update. I'll give it a shot, but I thot I'd mention that there are two instances of 1Password in the registry. Will an uninstall clean that up, or is it necessary for the new install to find existing repos?

Oh, and I should say that I've rebooted many times since the .616 install.

• MikeT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @paulohbear,

You'll have to explain what instances you see in the registry, we do use it for storing the locations of your previously used 1Password vaults, so that when you reinstall 1Password, it can find it quickly but it shouldn't show two separate "installs" of 1Password.

The uninstaller should technically clean up but if there are two separate ones, it may only do the one it is responsible for, not all of them.

• paulohbear
    paulohbear
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike - So I took your advice and tried the uninstall and re-install w/the latest, and it worked for a short time. Now it's back. I've attached an image of the task manager showing that multiple instances are running, one as ANONYMOUS LOGIN, which is to say the least unnerving. And I've also attached an image of the System Tray showing both instances, and what happens when I click on them. Clearly one knows about the existing install, and the other thinks its a new install. This didn't occur after I had installed the latest, but some time later such as after a reboot.

• Hi @paulohbear,

That explains a lot, you have two separate Windows accounts running at the same time and 1Password is running from both accounts.

Do you use IIS/ASP.NET on your computer? A quick google search shows running a web server on the computer can do this and some security programs like ESET can do this for their Anti-Theft feature.

• paulohbear
    paulohbear
    Community Member
    Options

Ah. Yes, we develop applications which run on a user's computer, and they have web services running on them. One of them is a JAVA app which installs its own admin user. So can I install 1Password for only me? Or take it out of a global startup?

• Hi @paulohbear,

There isn't an option to install to current user, so your best option is to disable it completely in the other user account from running.

1Password 6 will install to current user only, so it will get better in the future.

This discussion has been closed.