Install failure

Options

Hello.

Each time I try to install the latest versio using the msi file downloaded from the site it gets so far and then complains of being unable to locate the very file I just clicked to actually install the application!

1Password Version: 6.2.333
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AlexHoffmann
    edited January 2017
    Options

Sorry to hear you're having this issue, @jr866gooner.

What's happening here is the Microsoft MSI installer we're using, saying that it cannot uninstall the previous version of 1Password. This is usually caused by a corrupted installer cache.

Please confirm that 1Password 6 isn't showing up in Control Panel > Remove a Program.
    If it's present, try this:

1. First, open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    2. Remove the app folder here
    3. Run the installer troubleshooter to reset any cache that might be causing this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed
    4. Reboot and see if you can install 1Password now.

If it's not present not, please try this:

1. Open Command Prompt from the Start menu
    2. Enter the following commands on separate lines one after another: cd %USERPROFILE%\desktop and wmic /output:test.txt product where "Caption like '1password%'".
    3. You should see a file called test.txt on your desktop, open it and it should tell you if any 1Password app is installed and/or where its installer might be. Please include that info in your next reply here, so we can see what's going on as well.

We hope this helps. Please let us know.

Thanks!

Alex

• jr866gooner
    jr866gooner
    Community Member
    Options

Hello

I ran the following command: C:\Users\jer60\Desktop>wmic /output:test.txt product where "Caption like '1password%'

And get this;

Node - #MACHINE NAME# (It is a work PC so not putting it out publicly)
    ERROR:
    Description = Invalid query

• MikeT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @jr866gooner,

There was a missing " at the end of the command, it should be this:

wmic /output:test.txt product where "Caption like '1password%'"

Did you try running the troubleshooter from Microsoft to reset the cache for the installer?

If this is a work computer, what kind of security program is installed? It may block the installation of 1Password depending on its setting.

• jr866gooner
    jr866gooner
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I shall try it first thing on Monday. I did the MS thing even though 1password wasn't listed in programs and features.

Yes it's a work pc with mcafee AV. Funny thing is the install worked fine on my other pc! Same spec and version of windows!

• Hi @jr866gooner,

Check McAfee's security setting, it has a feature for blocking the use of temporary folder for running/installing apps, this can interfere with 1Password's ability to install. Disable it prior to installing 1Password 6 and then re-enable it after it is done. You'll have to do this for each 1Password update as well.

Hopefully, you'll have good news for us on Monday trying this. Have a great weekend.

• jr866gooner
    jr866gooner
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I was in a group to block activities that use the app data location.

Stopped that but still the error occurs... ran the script and the text file shows the following;

AssignmentType Caption Description HelpLink HelpTelephone IdentifyingNumber InstallDate InstallDate2 InstallLocation InstallSource InstallState Language LocalPackage Name PackageCache PackageCode PackageName ProductID RegCompany RegOwner SKUNumber Transforms URLInfoAbout URLUpdateInfo Vendor Version WordCount
    0 1Password 6 1Password 6 {4BA56C69-9D5B-4460-83BE-3006C88BCCE3} 1 1033 1Password 6 {2440ACA1-7E5F-4205-BD58-3C0D98A238F1} AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop-6.1.308.msi

• Hi @jr866gooner,

Is the error from installing the latest version of 1Password or uninstalling the previous version? Try to uninstall the previous version of 1Password via Control Panel and just in case it say it is looking for the 308.msi file, you can download it here. If it works, again just in case, go through Alex's instructions again since you now have access to the %localappdata% directory.

If that didn't work, can you email us the detailed error reports from Windows' Event Viewer:

1. Click on Start Menu, search for "Event Viewer" and open it
    2. On the left sidebar, expand "Custom Views" on the top and then click on "Administrative Events"
    3. Reproduce the issue with 1Password
    4. Go back to the Event Viewer, right-click on the list to refresh. Right-click on the recent errors to select "Copy > Copy Details as text".
    5. Paste it into a new text file with NotePad and save it, email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com.

Thanks!

• jr866gooner
    jr866gooner
    Community Member
    Options

ok so went to do this today with a spare block of time and all of a sudden without even getting to try the above it has now succesfully installed! very odd! consider this resolved for now :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That is strange. Thanks for letting us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.