1password app for windows 10 has truncated function compare to MacOS or iOS..

Options

I have a trial version on 1Password 6 for windows 10. Before i buy it I would like to know why windows version is truncated. I will explain what I mean. First of all by watching tutorials (which by the way all done on Apple platform) i have realized that windows app doesn't have some features like "Security Audit" and "Watchtower". In addition to that when i pick one of my item in windows version there is no password strength indicator as in MacOS version of the app. Next, the Chrome browser extension doesn't work the same way as on Macs. When i hover the cursor over the 1Password icon it will not shows drop down list of all my logins. (right click and left click do not work also). Also when I tried to change the password on most of my accounts the Chrome extension and the app do not provide me with the fill in option. I had to manually copy the newly generated password and paste it into the new password field. So before i decide to buy 1Password I would like to know if there any solutions to above stated questions? One more things. In options, there is nothing about syncing. There is no even such an option.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.2.333d
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@valermit: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Indeed, the 1Password 6 Windows desktop app is brand new, so it doesn't have all of the feature we want yet. While 1Password Mac and iOS have a pretty big head start, we're gaining ground and will have feature parity in time. Thanks for letting us know that Security Audit features are at the top of your list!

Regarding the browser interface, this will show only logins matching the current URL by default. But you can type in the search box to find others, or press Ctrl Alt \ to display all of your items.

And as for sync, 1Password.com doesn't have any sync configuration; rather, all of your data is available simply by logging into your account in the app.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• valermit
    valermit
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

@brenty: Thanks a lot for your response. Does your team are planning to add watchtower to windows app? You said the windows app is a brand new one but will it have all feature that Mac OS or iOS apps have? If yes, what is the approximate time table for these feature to be implemented in windows app? Thanks.

• Hi @valermit,

Absolutely, 1Password 6 for Windows will gain all of the features that macOS version has. We have an end goal to make sure 1Password 6 for Windows is very consistent with all 1Password 6 apps, it will take some time but we will get there. Watchtower, Security Audit, Rich Icons, full local vaults support, redesigned 1Password mini and more are coming to 1Password 6 for Windows. The goal of the new codebase was to use modern technologies that will enable us to do this precisely.

As per our policy, we do not share any ETAs. We're shipping as fast as we can, we've been shipping a major update every month for 1Password 6 and we are hoping to get 1Password 6.3 out this month soon, we are close to finishing up the first beta soon.

• draseva
    draseva
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Reading the above I think I now understand why I cannot enable Watchtower in my Windows 10 desktop interface. It is there, but not clickable. Should it be working by now and this is a glitch, or are we still waiting for this functionality to be active?
    If the latter, why no note about it, so I don't go on a wild goose chase? If the former, what should I do to make it work? Thanks much

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @draseva,

Watchtower is already implemented in the current version of 1Password 6 for Windows and here is how it looks:

Do you see something similar on your side? Please specify what difficulties you have with right now. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• draseva
    draseva
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for answering. My Watchtower is there, but does not seem to do anything. I don't believe that I have zero vulnerable passwords of 227 items. I have version 6.7.457 and is up to date, running on Windows 10. I am not sure what's wrong.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@draseva: Is there a reason why? Do you have a particular website breach in mind that you believe has affected you? You can always check on the Watchtower page as well. But for (a marginally useful) comparison, I have just under 2000 items, most of which are logins, and no Watchtower notifications. granted, that's because I've already changed some passwords in response to Watchtower, but I can only recall less than 10 or so being affected ever.

And just to clarify, Watchtower isn't checking your passwords; it's checking to see if the websites have been reported breached, and then comparing the date on the Login item to see if it was updated after that: if not, you'll be told to change it. Does that help put things in perspective?

• draseva
    draseva
    Community Member
    Options

I know from pwned that my account was involved in 4 data breaches. I thought that for at least one of them I have not changed password, and I expected at least that one to show up in Watchtower. I might remember wrong, I might have changed it.
    Certainly I did not understand correctly how Watchtower works. So probably all is well. :-) Thanks for your patience.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@draseva: Thank you for your reply! I am glad to hear that Brenty was able to clarify the situation. :)

Please do not hesitate to contact us anytime in the future, we are always ready to help you with 1Password.

Cheers,
    Greg

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    Options

I have to agree with the experience. I love the product, feel better using it than that "red starred, we give it away for free competitor." But I have also used this on Mac, iPhone, Android, and Ipad, I gotta tell you, the Windows experience feels like an afterthought. (I read your release notes, I see the changes implemented, but still). I'm curious to see the next update and eager for 1Password7.

Also, on the watchtower feature. I'm a new user. All my modified dates are after most breaches. I like that you try and limit the noise, love it actually, but an "Ignore Date" checkmark or button to do a quick review and force the feature to load sites for all my items regardless of the date would be nice. My Watchtower will be empty I think until the next breach happens somewhere.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AlwaysSortaCurious: The new 1Password for Windows is roughly 1 year old, so it is not completely fair to compare it with 1Password for Mac, which has several years of development behind its back. We are working really hard to improve 1Password for Windows and make it a first class citizen application on this platform, but it takes time. I hope for your understanding.

As for your suggestion about Watchtower, I will definitely pass it along to our team. Your feedback is really appreciated, so please keep it coming. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    Options

Thanks, @Greg

I know (I peaked in the release notes and had seen this was a complete rewrite) but it’s hard not to get the impression that the other platforms seem to have transitioned to the new model more smoothly. The code base might have been more amenable. Just putting my vote and reminder out there... I expect it will be first class, so looking forward to the new updates and next version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Totally. We've got a lot of great stuff in the works. Keep an eye out for updates! :)

• MikeT
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

That is precisely correct, all 1Password apps on other platforms including Android and macOS/iOS (unified codebase) were able to accommodate the database structure changes to support 1Password.com service while also supporting local vaults. 1Password 4 for Windows was not using a database model, it was a single document model program that was reading/writing to the vault folder directly (same as 1Password 3 for Mac back when 1Password 1-4 was Windows was originally released in 2010).

We've tried two separate (major and very extensive) attempts to update 1Password 4 but it didn't work, the last choice was to do a new codebase, which is what 1Password 6 is. 1Password 7 will be on top of this maturing codebase with full local vault support.

You might want to take another peek at the beta changelog for the upcoming 1Password 6.8 as we've just released the first beta today. We're catching up as fast as we can.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

@MikeT - I thought, because of the long gap between the 6.7 release and 6.8 beta, that the new update was going to be big and it seems I was correct - and I'm glad the wait was worth it :chuffed:

Looking forward to trying this on my test machine soon, especially the new custom icon feature (time to fire up Google image search) and all the rest of the enhancements and fixes :+1:

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    Options

Looks like if what is in the beta is released it will be a richer part of the product line. Exactly what I am hoping for. I use all the platform, but if anyone is keeping track, Windows and Android most.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MikeT - I thought, because of the long gap between the 6.7 release and 6.8 beta, that the new update was going to be big and it seems I was correct - and I'm glad the wait was worth it :chuffed:

@pbryanw: ;) :+1:

Looking forward to trying this on my test machine soon, especially the new custom icon feature (time to fire up Google image search) and all the rest of the enhancements and fixes :+1:

Great! Looking forward to your feedback on the beta! :chuffed:

Looks like if what is in the beta is released it will be a richer part of the product line. Exactly what I am hoping for. I use all the platform, but if anyone is keeping track, Windows and Android most.

@AlwaysSortaCurious: Good to hear! I know the Android team is working on some cool stuff behind the scenes too. :sunglasses:

This discussion has been closed.