Switching from 1Password 6 and 1Password 4

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Standalone licenses vs new subscription service.

Comments

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    Options

My free trial subscription is about to expire as well. I came to the website to purchase the license, not knowing that there even was a subscription model. I'm not a power user (yet), but an above response refers to an article on how to sync using iCloud. My platform is Windows. Is there a way to sync using Google Drive?

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

@l610024, check out the possible sync options on this help page: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks @pervel. I did find that article and followed the link under the "sync to folder" option, but that is for Mac and not for Windows. It seems to imply that I can just manually copy my 1Password vault, but don't know where to find my vault folder. I've tried searching for it but "Cortana" can't find it, at least none of the search words I've tried. Can you tell me where to look to find it?

Also found an aritcle that guides me to where my vault folder is, but it only applies to iPassword 4. I'm using 1Password 6

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

@l610024, I haven't actually tried folder sync myself so I think I better let AgileBits staff answer that one. :)

In general though, I believe the recommendation is to use Dropbox for syncing if you have non-Apple devices. I used that myself before switching to accounts and it works quite well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@l610024: pervel is on the right track. Here are some additional details that might help make things clearer:

1Password for Mac versions 4 and up all use an internal database, so there's no OPVault or AgileKeychain vault written to disk by default. If you setup Dropbox or Folder Sync (mechanically the same, only the location is different), then there's a vault written in the location you choose.

1Password for Windows version 4 only works this way, as it uses the vault on disk directly, without an internal database.

The new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app, on the other hand, uses an internal database, but does not have support for local vaults yet. It is only needed for the 1Password.com subscription service currently. Once it's ready for local vaults as well, it will work similarly to 1Password for Mac.

But yeah, if you're using the standalone apps, the best option for cross platform sync is Dropbox, as that's fully supported. You can try using Folder Sync + Google Drive, but be sure to backup your data regularly. You just need to have each device pointing to the same vault. Cheers! :)

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thanks for the update. Let me see if I understand what my path forward is now. If I want to keep using 1Password 6 (my 30 day trial runs out tomorrow, yikes), I should opt for the subscription service to keep it going, but only paying on a monthly basis. Once 1password 6 for Windows supports local vaults and / or I can set up my own syncing, then I can drop the subscription and purchase the license.

Believe it or not, I've never used Dropbox before, so I don't understand how it could help me now using 1Password 6 for Wndows without the local vaults. Maybe you could enlighten me there. Also, is there an option to go (back) to 1Password 4 and starting using the folder sync there?

The current devices I would like to sync are my Windows desktop, my Windows laptop, and my android phone. I also read about using WLAN but once again, I think I read it's not for Windows.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@brenty: Thanks for the update. Let me see if I understand what my path forward is now. If I want to keep using 1Password 6 (my 30 day trial runs out tomorrow, yikes), I should opt for the subscription service to keep it going, but only paying on a monthly basis. Once 1password 6 for Windows supports local vaults and / or I can set up my own syncing, then I can drop the subscription and purchase the license.

@l610024: That's certainly one option, and if it's the one you prefer (until 1Password 6 is updated for licenses) then it sounds like you're all set there.

Believe it or not, I've never used Dropbox before, so I don't understand how it could help me now using 1Password 6 for Wndows without the local vaults. Maybe you could enlighten me there. Also, is there an option to go (back) to 1Password 4 and starting using the folder sync there?

Indeed, 1Password 4 supports local vaults fully, and you can purchase a license for that today after using the free trial. "Local vaults" just means not associated with 1Password.com, so you'd be using one even if you sync your 1Password data with Dropbox.

The current devices I would like to sync are my Windows desktop, my Windows laptop, and my android phone. I also read about using WLAN but once again, I think I read it's not for Windows.

WLAN Sync is available in 1Password for Windows version 4, but it only works between a single computer and one or more mobile devices. So Dropbox wold be needed if you'd like to sync with the Mac as well. I hope this helps! :)

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Brenty. Sorry for continuing to ask questions, I just want to make sure I don't screw up and do the wrong thing. In order to be able to buy a license and still sync, I need to install 1Password 4 on my 3 devices and use Dropbox to sync the local vault with them.

If I have that correct ... will I be able to retain or migrate all the passwords I've already set up via 1Password 6 to 1Password 4? And going from 6 -> 4, the functionality I lose is the ability to sync via 1Password.com? Is there any other features I lose going back to 4? Thank you all your help for this newbie user.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@l610024: No way! If you still have questions, the only way to get them answered is to ask. Keep it coming! :sunglasses:

I hate to "answer" your question with another question, but I need a bit more information. Where do you have your 1Password data currently? It sounds like part of the answer is "in 1Password 6 on my PC", but is that in a local vault or 1Password.com? You should be able to verify this easily by logging into 1Password.com to see if all of your data is there. If so, I can walk you through exporting.

If your data is already in an OPVault or AgileKeychain local vault (in Dropbox or just on your computer), then all you need to do is open that vault in 1Password 4 and it sounds like you should be all set. Let me know what you find! :)

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thank you for sticking with me and helping me in this thread. I feel like I've hijacked it for my own personal issue.

My vault is currently on 1Password.com. I only have 1Password 6 on my desktop, and I understood it used an internal database and not a local vault. So I would need instructions for exporting. I assume I need to install 1Password 4 on my desktop (and on my laptop) first. Do I need to uninstall 1Password 6? Again, I don't want to mess this up and loses all my stored passwords!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@l610024: Got it! No worries, we'll get this sorted out. And keep in mind that so long as you have the data in 1Password.com, you don't have to worry about losing it even if you delete everything from your computer. ;)

I've also split this off into a separate discussion in the Windows category of the forums so we can focus on what you're trying to do here.

In 1Password 6, you can export to CSV currently and then import into 1Password 4. This isn't perfect though, so we'll be adding 1PIF export (1Password's native format) in an update. @MrC 's converter scripts could help you convert the CSV to 1PIF if you run into any issues with that, but I'm also hoping that we'll have a better option for you soon. Let me know if that helps!

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks again @brenty. I guess what I'll do now, is buy the license for 1Password 4 and download and install it. That is assuming 4 and 6 can co-exist and "play nice together" on the same machine. Then I'll either try the export above with the script or wait until the 1PIF export is ready for 6. Of course, as a former IT professional, I have to ask ... Do you have an target date for when that feature will be ready?
    ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@l610024: Unfortunately I can't give you a date. It's very much something we're actively working on along with a number of other features as well, so it's hard to say when any in particular will be ready. I really wish I could say, "Just hold on for n", but unless you're in no hurry at all, using the converter will be quick and easy, especially for someone with your background. You can, however, use both 1Password 4 and 6 on your PC if you need/want to:

1. Open Task Manager and kill Agile1PAgent.exe / "1Password (32-bit)" (which is for version 4)
    2. Open 1Password 6 and use it with your browser (you may need to authorize the connection)
    3. Quit 1Password 6 from the notification icon
    4. Open 1Password 4 and go to Help > Restart 1Password Helper
    5. Use 1Password 4 with your browser (you may need to authorize the connection)
    6. Repeat

Personally, as I've been using 1Password 6 more and more, I've found that I prefer to just disable 1Password 4 from running automatically at all, and I just restart the Helper when I need it. But it sounds like you're kind of coming at it from the other direction. You can, however, use local vaults in read-only mode in 1Password 6 if that saves you some switching back and forth. Just keep in mind that any changes you make (in 1Password 4) will need to be sync'd manually (Settings > Accounts & Vaults > (vault) > Sync).

Again, I'm sorry that you're stuck in a bit of limbo here while we work on this. Honestly, I can't say for certain which will come first in 1Password 6, 1PIF export or full local vault support. We're actively working on both, so it's just a matter of when they're ready. It sounds like either will be a big help to you. :blush:

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @Brenty. I thought you might like to know how I finally came out on this. Until today, I've been happily humming along using my frozen account, while I debated on how I wanted to proceed on this. In the end, rather than messing with all the above, I "surrendered" and just purchased an annual subscription. My reasoning was ... the payback on purchasing the license would be nearly two years. By then, I'll bet that some other technology like fingerprint recognition becomes ubiquitous and I won't need a password manager anymore ... Not that I don't like you guys ...

The good news out of all of this is I finally learned how to use DropBox!

P.S. - Also finally posted a picture! An old business card photo from 35 years ago. No way I'm putting my current ugly mug up there.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@l610024:

Thank you for keeping us posted! :+1:

To be honest, using fingerprint recognition everywhere does not rule out using 1Password. ;) We support Touch ID on iPhones, iPads, and new Macs already. We welcome new hardware with such security features, although they also have their own downsides.

I am glad to hear you decided to go with 1Password account. Please contact us anytime, if you have any difficulties with it. As you know, we are always ready to help!

P. S. Great pic! Nice to meet you and see you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.