Backup Location Required?

Options

I recently switched from a standalone 1Password4 to 1Password6 for Family.
Under 1Password4, I was able to direct daily backups to Google Drive or Box. Under 1Password6 I do not see this option. Is this because the new version is Cloud, whereas my standalone version was not Cloud based. If so, it would be nice to be able to drop a backup to a secured folder of my choice. Anyone able to explain how this should work to me? Thanks!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

All of the backups for the hosted 1Password subscriptions are done by AgileBits on the server, and on a per-item basis as well (with history of each item and it's edits). They don't have a backup feature locally yet, as it would also need to track changes in the same way to be consistent. They do have export functions to insecure/unencrypted files (like to move your data elsewhere--don't trust someone who won't give you your data back!). I wouldn't mind a local backup option again in the future and they've said they'll consider it, but it's not high on their list due to the server backups (and lots of other features on the list for Windows especially) and I'm ok with that based on my understanding of their architecture (also, the installed apps sync a copy of your data to your computer or device. So that is a second copy on each device in addition to their server. If server is down, go offline and open up the app to see cached data).

• MikeT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @dbryanop,

Thanks for writing.

Dszp pretty much got it nailed down. With 1Password.com service, we take care of your data for you, so that you don't have to worry about any other settings like sync, backups, file paths, and so on that used to make 1Password complex to maintain in the past. All you need to know is your 1Password account and the rest is done in the background.

We are looking into an option to let you create an offline archival copy, for the unlikely situation where all of the redundant Amazon cloud servers around the planet gets taken out by meteors, aliens and so on in addition to you losing all of your devices since 1Password already has a copy of your 1Password data on the local drive with the exception of the attachments (1Password download them when requested).

• dbryanop
    dbryanop
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks MikeT.....makes sense. Let's hope AWS can avoid the meteors and aliens!

• dbryanop
    dbryanop
    Community Member
    Options

Dszp - thanks to you too!

• You're welcome!

Let's hope AWS can avoid the meteors and aliens!

Hmm, I just recalled a movie where the aliens used meteors to take us out first before arriving...oh boy. :scream:

This discussion has been closed.