installing 1 password in (Windows Firefox) browser only

Options

If I install a 1Password Firefox browser extension on my Windows laptop, Firefox properly shows the 1Password key icon in its toolbar, but once I click it, there is no drop down menu, but the browser windows fills with this message (translated from my Dutch browser):

"The address had not been understood

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (onepassword-4-extension) had not been associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

Maybe you should install other software to open this address"

Can you please estimate and tell me what the problem could be?

Do I first need to install the Windows application before the installing the roser extension?

Please let me know!

kindest regards,

Igor

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Igorab,

Thanks for writing in.

It doesn't understand the address because the main 1Password program is not yet installed. Once installed, 1Password will register the onepassword4-extension URI scheme to inform Windows that 1Password is the one to open with that URI address. Once registered, Firefox will be aware of this and ask if you want to open it with 1Password, check the option to always open 1Password and 1Password extension will then work.

We do not yet offer a self-contained extension where you don't have to install the main 1Password app, so you do need to install it. We'd like to offer one with 1Password.com service in the future but it will take some time to get there.

You can find 1Password 6 if you're using 1Password.com from here: https://1Password.com/downloads/

If you're using Dropbox or local vaults, you'd want 1Password 4 from here: https://agilebits.com/downloads

• igorab
    igorab
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Mike for your complete answer / everything works fine now!
    cheers,
    Igor

• Hi @Igorab,

I'm glad everything is working now and you're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.