1Password 6 issue with Belgian keyboard

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password 6.x vs 1Password 4.x.

Comments

• eddydc
    eddydc
    Community Member
    Options

I had to install a new PC, so I'd thought to give version 6 a try. So far things I'm confused/have problems with:

• assigning a shortcut doesn't work properly. It doesn't seem to recognize the difference between the normal and the shifted key
    • I don't understand the vault setting in the options. Despite I've selected a vault on installation, it doesn't show anything
    • offering to save a new user/pwd/site doesn't seem to work
    • when multiple users apply for a site, only the site name is displayed and one needs to find out with trail and error which user is behind it
    • the popup doesn't always seem to appear when hitting the hot key. It seems that the vault isn't loaded.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I had to install a new PC, so I'd thought to give version 6 a try. So far things I'm confused/have problems with:

@eddydc: Thanks for giving the new app a try and sharing your feedback with us!

assigning a shortcut doesn't work properly. It doesn't seem to recognize the difference between the normal and the shifted key

I don't seem to be able to reproduce this. Can you give a concrete example? make sure you restart 1Password completely for it to take effect as well.

I don't understand the vault setting in the options. Despite I've selected a vault on installation, it doesn't show anything

offering to save a new user/pwd/site doesn't seem to work

The vault setting is the default for new logins, but when saving in the browser you can also select from the dropdown menu.

when multiple users apply for a site, only the site name is displayed and one needs to find out with trail and error which user is behind it

I find it's helpful to give my logins distinctive names, but we'll see if there are other ways we can have 1Password help with this as well.

the popup doesn't always seem to appear when hitting the hot key. It seems that the vault isn't loaded.

Is this the filling hotkey (Ctrl \ by default) or the 1Password mini hotkey (Ctrl Alt \)? Are you experiencing this in a specific browser/context? We definitely want to get that working better for you!

• eddydc
    eddydc
    Community Member
    Options

An example for a Belgian keyboard. I want to assign Ctrl-µ as hotkey, but Ctrl-£ gives the same result

The fault setting is empty, despite that I've chosen a vault on setup.

Why would I choose any other name than the website the userid is used for? On version 4, one could indicate to show the usernames. That option is gone in version 6.

The difference between Ctrl and CTrl Alt for the mini or full wasn't clear to me. Again, I'm not using other hotkeys. Having said this, I think that there is a delay in loading the vault or so, since the issue doesn't happen all the time

• Hi @eddydc,

An example for a Belgian keyboard. I want to assign Ctrl-µ as hotkey, but Ctrl-£ gives the same result

This could be a localization issue. Can you try an alphabetic letter like Control + A just in case and see if it works?

The fault setting is empty, despite that I've chosen a vault on setup.

Did you selected a local vault via Dropbox, OneDrive or folder? If yes, 1Password 6 does not support local vaults, it is read only. The option is empty because it doesn't have any writable vault to use.

1Password 6 is currently limited to 1Password.com service, full local support vault is coming in a future update.

Why would I choose any other name than the website the userid is used for? On version 4, one could indicate to show the usernames. That option is gone in version 6.

The option doesn't exist anymore in 1Password 6 because it is included already. You can see the username below the item's title.

However, if you've imported a local vault, it is possible the username subtitles are not correctly parsed, so it may not appear under the site's name.

The difference between Ctrl and CTrl Alt for the mini or full wasn't clear to me. Again, I'm not using other hotkeys.

Control + \ is for direct filling when you only have one item for the site, it bypasses the 1Password mini's UI completely. For an example, you visit this forum's login page and you only have one item, pressing the shortcut means 1Password will instantly fill and submit without showing you any options. If you have more than one item, it will show you the list of items to select.

Control + Alt + \ is to bring up 1Password mini without doing any filling. This way, you can select other items to open, copy data and/or select credit card/identity items to fill.

Having said this, I think that there is a delay in loading the vault or so, since the issue doesn't happen all the time

How often would you say you see this?

• eddydc
    eddydc
    Community Member
    Options

I don't wanna be rude, but it's rather obvious that Ctrl-A will not have these issues since it doesn't have any double (or even triple with AltGr) 'meaning'/function like the µ key.

It's indeed a local imported vault (from a NAS drive).

The item title doesn't show in my case, probably due being a local vault.

I can't put an exact number to it, but a guess would be each first time after a fresh startup of the machine, depending on how much time between the startup and the first time I wanted to look up a user.

Having said this, I hope that local vaults will be supported soon. One of the main reasons I bought 1password was the ability to use local vaults instead of remote vault like the competitors do. I'm not a fan of remote vaults, both for having control over the location the vault is stored and privacy reasons (whatever the claims are).

• Hey @eddydc,

Thanks for getting back to us.

It's indeed a local imported vault (from a NAS drive).

That explains it then. 1Password 6, as Mike explained, can't yet create or write to local vaults.
    Rest assured that we will add this feature in the future. Yes, we have a subscription-based product but we're not giving up on local vaults.

I don't wanna be rude, but it's rather obvious that Ctrl-A will not have these issues since it doesn't have any double (or even triple with AltGr) 'meaning'/function like the µ key.

You're not. We completely understand. I just did some testing on this and Mike was on point again. This seems to be a localisation issue and possibly one of shortcuts being already taken by another app.

I'm using German keyboards (for obvious reasons ;) ) and I AltGr+m also produces the µ character. When I set it to be the 1Password shortcut in the app, it works as such, though. It even worked when I used a shifted character such a / on a German keyboard.

Still, I know that French, Belgian, and Spanish keyboard layouts can have a deeper integration with special characters and it might be a good idea to check which keys are viable using the Windows Keyboard Layouts list. Choosing a key that does not have an AltGr, AltGr+Shift assignment might work out best.

Cheers,

Alex

• tht
    tht
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on this issue...

I'm using a Swiss German keyboard and as long as 1Password Mini is running I'm not able to enter the # character. Every time I press AltGr-3 (where the # character is) 1 Password Mini opens up but no # appears on screen. Quite a few programming languages use the # character and I can't find a way to reconfigure the keyboard shortcut in 1Password Mini.

Same effect on Windows 2012 R2 Server and Windows 2016 Server (using 1Password 6.2.333d).

• MikeT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @tht,

Thanks for reporting this.

You can change the shortcut via the main 1Password app's settings. Open the main 1Password app, unlock, and click on Settings on top right (gear icon) to select Options. In Options > General, you'll see the keyboard shortcut you can change.

We do have plan to add a full hotkey editor, so you can change the full shortcut but for now, 1Password is limited Control and Control + Alt and a character you choose.

Windows treat Control + Alt the same as AltGr, so you may have to be careful with what character you choose as it'll be assigned to AltGr as well. Meaning if you use A, it'll be assigned as Control + A, Control + Alt + A and AltGr + A. We don't have a way to remove AltGr from the equation.

• tht
    tht
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike. This did work!

I never changed this one as it is labeled "Show 1Password" but when I did press AltGr-3 1Password Mini did show up. So I assumed this is a different keyboard shortcut. If this is for "mini" you should think about changing the label there.

Sorry for hijacking this thread :).

• Hi @tht,

You're welcome and thanks for the suggestion. We do also have plans to list out all the shortcuts we support individually, so each line would be for different action with its own shortcut, meaning you can use Control + \ for filling while using Control +/ for showing 1Password mini. We'll look at renaming the label to showing 1Password mini.

Thanks again.

This discussion has been closed.