1Password Beta continues to ask for old password to unlock vault, but synchronizes account well

Options
SergeyK
SergeyK
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I changed my Master Password online.

1Password Beta notified me about need to re-login and asked for new password.
Synchronization with 1Password account storage works fine, but it still asks for old master password.

I know from the forum history that 1Password Beta app didn't support password change some time ago, and users had to singoff/singon (i.e. reset the local copy of vault). The new version seems to be reflecting password change well. Why does it still asking me for the old master password?

1Password Version: 6.2.333d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Account

Comments

• SergeyK
    SergeyK
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I seems starting to understand.

When 1Password Beta receives from server new encryption key (which was regenerated during password change), it still continues to keep it locally encrypted with old master password, right?

So, the encryption key is new, and vault data re-encrypted with the new key, the new key continues to be locally encrypted with old master password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

When 1Password Beta receives from server new encryption key (which was regenerated during password change), it still continues to keep it locally encrypted with old master password, right?
    So, the encryption key is new, and vault data re-encrypted with the new key, the new key continues to be locally encrypted with old master password.

@SergeyK: Exactly. Now, while I'm glad this makes sense to you, we're very much aware that it won't to a lot of people, and frankly no one should have to care about this if they don't want to. Currently you can change the Master Password in 1Password 6 Settings > Options > Security to make it match your other devices, but we'll be adding support for pushing/pulling Master Password changes in a future update. Thanks for bringing this up!

This discussion has been closed.