Font size changes in 1Password 6.3 Beta 1 [More improvements coming in beta 2]

Options
SergeyK
SergeyK
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Here is the main window on display with 150%.

The details view in 6.3 looks somewhat small compared to rest of the UI.
Seems it doesn't take into account DPI screen scaling.

Comments

• MikeT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @SergeyK,

Thanks for reporting this.

The font size is smaller in the item detail/editor for 1Password 6.3, we've switched it to the system's default font size. It's the rest of the UI that needs to be improved sooner.

For a point of comparison, it should be identical to your Windows Explorer's font like this:

I took the above screenshot at 150% scaling.

Is it too small for you to use? We are likely going to reduce the size in the other areas to be more consistent.

• SergeyK
    SergeyK
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I really like font sizes and proportions in modern Windows 10 apps, like People, Calendar, Skype Preview.

Here is comparison with the People app:

(you can click "Open image in new tab" to see it in the full resolution)

I think the font is really small.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SergeyK: I hear you. But to be fair, a lot of users hate the "Windows Modern" look because everything is so big. One of the biggest requests is for more information density, and making everything in 1Password bigger despite display settings makes that much harder. It's important to keep in mind that those apps are designed expressly for touch devices, not the more traditional "desktop" paradigm. So by using settings that make "modern" apps a reasonable font size to you, you're also shrinking all "desktop" apps -- like Windows explorer, as Mike mentioned. I'm not sure this is something we should design around. But while we won't be able to please everyone, we'll keep refining the interface to try to offer the best balance. Thanks for your feedback! :)

• SergeyK
    SergeyK
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, up to you guys, but have a look at the attached screenshot in 1:1 scale and decide yourself.
    Personally, I cannot see anything, maybe you can easily recognize tiny gray text on white background.

• @SergeyK there is no middle ground here, for some people it's too small, for some it's too large. It depends on personal preferences, display size, DPI, touch or mouse first interaction, Windows 7 or Windows 10, and perhaps many other factors. Personally I love UWP apps style too. We are looking to bring back UWP app soon, as well as allowing user to adjust font size so it fits you well. Thanks for your feedback, it helps us to make 1Password better :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SergeyK: You're right. It's totally different for me, likely because I'm using a much smaller screen relatively close to me (Surface Pro 4 here). So we're really comparing apples and oranges a bit, as everyone will have a different setup. That's why I think that Windows Explorer is a better comparison. If I couldn't read the text there either, I'd have a huge problem! :lol:

• SergeyK
    SergeyK
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Here's my thinking about this problem.

Modern Windows 10 applications were designed to look good on new devices with high resolution displays (like Surface Pro, 4K monitors, Retina, etc.). So on displays with resolution ≥ 1900×1080 these apps look awesome.

The higher resolution, the more Windows scales the desktop (to 150%, 200%, 250%), so UI look&feel is consistent across the resolutions.

But, on old devices with lower screen resolutions (laptops with 1366×768 or lower), Windows doesn't scale the desktop in opposite direction, desktop area just shrinks. As result, all UI elements become bigger and modern apps look enormously big (because they just not designed for such resolutions).

As long as the users share with low-end screens is still relevant for 1Password, the app would just scale down more aggressively on small displays than standard Windows apps do. At the same time look consistent with design of modern apps on high DPI screens.

• This is exactly how Universal apps work - they scale well out of the box. However, with roughly 50% of desktop systems being Windows 7 we had to put UWP app on a little break and focus on desktop app first. Now that desktop app got to the better shape we are looking to revive UWP app soon, so folks on Windows 10 will feel like it's Windows 10 app (not to mention that this is the way to enable Edge support and we are excited about it).

P.S. Try Ctrl+plus and Ctrl+minus keys when next beta is out ;)

• SergeyK
    SergeyK
    Community Member
    Options

So, in the long term you're planning to have two Windows applications with different user interface?
    The existing one WPF app targeted for pre-Windows 10, plus another one UWP targeted specifically for Windows Store and Windows 10?

• That's correct, UWP is the future, but planet is not there yet, so we have WPF based one. In fact they share so much code that it's almost the same app, the reason for WPF pushed first is because it can cover both pre-Win10 and Win10 worlds.

• User Name
    User Name
    Community Member
    Options

On a 100% scale display, I find that the text is very thin and wiry.
    I don't know if it's the font choice, color scheme, or just the size of the text, but I find it difficult to read and the copy/reveal/large type buttons are very small.
    UWP apps are a good guideline for how an app like 1Password should look.
    Having a night mode like many UWP apps would be great too. It's very bright.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@User Name: The hardest part about this is that "100% display" is going to mean different things in different setups, and it's impossible to compensate for all of them. We'll keep working to find a better balance. As for "night mode", I'd love that myself. My Surface is too bright at even the darkest settings. Honestly, I'd prefer that Microsoft add something like this to Windows. I think the upcoming colour adjustment features may help, but maybe we can also add a "dark mode" to the new Windows app in the future. :)

• My favorite feature of 15xxx Windows Insider builds - Blue light, it helps a lot when working in the dark environment! But we will look into finding the best balance for color in 1Password nonetheless.

• User Name
    User Name
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty When I said a 100% scale display, I meant that Windows is set to 100% scale in the display properties. (the default)
    I tried setting Windows to 125% as a test, and that made 1Password feel about the right size - though it made every other app huge.

Increasing the size of everything in 1Password by about 20% would be a lot easier to read, and seems proportional to most other apps/websites.

The dark theme for Windows is not fully implemented everywhere yet, but it's gradually being worked on and integrated into more and more apps. It would be great if 1Password could use the system theme (dark or light) and accent color.

• MikeT
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi @User Name,

Stay tuned for the next beta update. The font size is now consistent across the main interface and you'll be able to adjust it via Control +/-, which 1Password will store to persist it across restarts. So, if 125% looks right, going up a font size should fix that for you.

I've wrote more in the other thread here, we will continue to improve this.

As for system colors, that's down the line but it is something we'd want to do.

• User Name
    User Name
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds great, thanks.

• You're welcome, please do keep sending us feedback, especially on the next update.

• Hi @dahanbn,

Thanks for writing in. I've merged your post into the other thread related to the font size change in 1Password 6.3 beta 1. More changes are coming in beta 2 where the entire main interface will be consistent with the font sizes and you'll be able to change the font size via the Control + / - zoom keyboard shortcuts.

The default font size is now aligned with the Windows' default font sizes for the desktop programs, which is smaller compared to the standard Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps. The upcoming upgrade to the UWP version of 1Password 6 will be consistent with the UWP design guidelines while the desktop version will align with the Windows' font sizes.

• User Name
    User Name
    Community Member
    Options

I just wanted to say that the new default size is looking really good now, and I appreciate having the option to change it now too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@User Name: Thank you! We'll keep refining it, but it's good to hear that you're liking the direction we're going, and the customizability as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.