Feature Request: Save Window-Size and Position

Options
rseibel
rseibel
Community Member
edited January 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,
i am a software developer and use large screens (LG 34"). After opening 1Password the application window is always centered and much too big. First thing i have to do is always resize and move to the border. Please store theese data too.
I hope the new version will get as comfortable as the 'old' one (V.4 for Windows). I only moved to the new version for synchronizing my data without dropbox or icloud, but i loved the old version much more, especialliy editing, adding documents and some more.
Regards
Roger

1Password Version: 6.3.352
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @rseibel,

Thanks for writing in.

After opening 1Password the application window is always centered and much too big. First thing i have to do is always resize and move to the border. Please store theese data too.

1Password 6 does save the last used location, it is not supposed to center on every launch unless for some reason Control + Alt is selected. This shortcut is used to reset the location data. Are you using any custom windowing tool to manage your windows and/or multiple monitors?

The upcoming 1Password 6.3 update will support retaining the resized columns as well as resizing the category sidebar, it's available as a beta update right now.

I hope the new version will get as comfortable as the 'old' one (V.4 for Windows). I only moved to the new version for synchronizing my data without dropbox or icloud, but I loved the old version much more, especialliy editing, adding documents and some more.

Yes, we'll continue to improve 1Password 6, we want it to be the single Windows app for everyone to use but it is not yet an upgrade to 1Password 4 at this stage.

Can you explain more about editing? 1Password 6 has a better item editor then the one in 1Password 4 (e.g. inline editing with unlimited scrolling), so it is surprising to hear you say it is better in 1Password 4 instead, unless it is because of the missing features like Rich/Custom icons.

As for documents, could you explain more here too. 1Password 6 or more specifically, 1Password.com doesn't do attachments. It store documents only in the Documents category but you could add the document item as a related item to other items, which we will add in a future update to 1Password 6 for Windows as soon as possible.

• rseibel
    rseibel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,
    i dont use windowing tools. Tested on three clients all with windows 10. 1Password window is always centered and has always the same size and aspect ratio depending on the screen size. Column witdhs are stored as described in the newest beta.
    And depending documents you are right, i meant attachments, PDF-Files for example.

• Hi @rseibel,

Strange considering it works fine for our team on various computers and we know other customers have reported the same.

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, so we can see what kind of windowing data it is using. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Hi @rseibel,

Are you by any chance snapping the app to the borders? The locations aren't saved if you snap it to the borders/corners nor if you maximized the window.

• rseibel
    rseibel
    Community Member
    Options

I sent an answer and the diagnostics report as requested via mail on January 21st. Tested the new Beta 6.3.360d some minutes ago. Same behaviour, column width is saved, but application always opens centered with same size and aspect ratio on all my devices. I have no windowing tool and did no snapping. Tested sizing/moving around the application window, stopped/started 1Password, but always the same. Because i have a 34" size wide screen, first thing is always to resize an move the windows which coveres 2/3 of my whole screen. Found no values in windows registry which seem to belong to this problem.

• Hi @rseibel,

I didn't see any email from you but I did search using your forum's email address, it may be outdated. Can you tell me if you got the auto-reply from our BitBot and if yes, it should have that support ID# in its reply. Can you tell me that ID#?

We avoid writing to the registry as much as we can, almost everything is retained in your 1Password database file instead.

• rseibel
    rseibel
    Community Member
    Options

For your reference, your support ID is [#BGH-14585-625] ...
    BitBot
    Your friendly AgileBits robot

• Great, I've found it and will reply to your email as soon as possible.

• rseibel
    rseibel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT,

now that you have found the language related error reason it works with beta 6.4.x !!
    Thank you for this quick solution. The position and size is properliy stored, only on my multiscreen development place the last used screen is not remembered, but maybe in a future version ;-)

Regards
    Roger

• MikeT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @rseibel,

WOOHOO! That's great to hear, we were going to follow up with you as soon as we finish something else but we're really happy to hear it is working great now with the latest 6.4 beta update.

As for last used screen, that is a bit more difficult case to consider but certainly, we'll look into that in a future update.

This discussion has been closed.