Issues with Chrome extension micro-freeze (Win 7, 1password 4.6.1.617)

Options
liam_retrams
liam_retrams
Community Member
edited January 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

So after the disaster that was attempting to upgrade from 4.6.1.617 to 6.3.352 on my Windows machine, I find that a whole bunch of features are missing. So I decided to go back to v4.6.1.617 on my Windows 7 machine (latest Chrome) and now I have an issue that I never had - every time I press CTRL+\ or click on the 1password button at the top right hand corner of my browser, my whole system becomes unresponsive for anywhere between 1-3 seconds. When I say "whole system becomes unresponsive", I mean I can't move my mouse, I cant press any buttons on my keyboard.

I have THOUSANDS of unique passwords stored inside 1password and use 1p EXTREMELY heavily and this is starting to get really irritating.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• Uninstalled + reinstalled 1password (4.6.1.617)
  • Uninstalled + reinstalled the browser extension
  • Installed the BETA browser extension
  • Used a .OPVault file format, then used a .agilekeychain format for my my 1password database
  • Tried a "repair database" function

Of course, this issue is not present on my MAC

They are all showing the same issue.

What gives?

1Password Version: 4.6.1.617
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: Windows 7 64-bit
Sync Type: Dropbox

EDIT, this is in the wrong section, it should be in "Windows", if a moderator could move it that'd be fantastic.!

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@liam_retrams: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! That's really a new one to me, as I can't imagine how 1Password could freeze the entire system. It just doesn't operate at a low level, and the browser extension even to a lesser extent, being sandboxed in Chrome, so it may be some sort of conflict with something else. I know we've heard of some odd issues with Logitech drivers, for instance, but nothing to this extent. It sounds like you've tried a number of things already, but have you tried restarting Windows? One way or another, we'll get to the bottom of this. Let me know what you find. I'm having IRQ flashbacks...

P.S: You totally posted this in the Windows category. ;)

• liam_retrams
    liam_retrams
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Good point, I am confused as to how it can freeze the whole system but that's what's happening. Its like its intercepting all keyboard/mouse inputs for a few seconds. Sounds insignificant but can be quite irritating as I'm sure you can appreciate. It may not be actually freezing the system but it at the very least makes the keyboard + mouse not work.

I do have logitech hardware, and I do have the latest version of setpoint installed. When you install logitech software, it installs a "smooth scrolling" plugin which I have removed completely from chrome.

I have installed the latest version of FireFox and 1password plugin, and it exhibits the same behaviour - micro freeze when pressing on the 1password button.

I did try all the simple stuff like rebooting to no avail. This was all working fine before I decided to mess with it :(

What should be my next steps?

• liam_retrams
    liam_retrams
    Community Member
    Options

Also: I RDP'ed into this machine, and 1password works perfectly, there is no freezing when pressing CTRL+\ or the 1p browser extension button.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@liam_retrams: Thank you for keeping us updated. This is really strange.

Let's try to take a look at 1Password 4 diagnostics report from your PC. Maybe, we will find some clues there. Here is how you can share it with us:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostic Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Thank you very much in advance! :+1: We will be looking forward to your report.

Cheers,
    Greg

• liam_retrams
    liam_retrams
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi,

I did send the diagnostics report but then I didn't get a response and then ended up getting too busy to deal with it. The micro freeze problem became extremely irritating and it started triggering on some webpages that I frequently use despite not having any fields - every time I clicked a button, my mouse would completely hang and keyboard would stop working.

I finally decided to try an older versions of 1password - I tried several versions and I ended up getting everything working properly now with 1Password-4.1.0.526. I know it is less than ideal to be running such an old version but its either that or deal with irritating freezing.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

@liam_retrams:

We replied to your email on February 1, but apparently our reply got lost on its way to you. I've just resent it. Please check your inbox. Thanks!

ref: GXT-82797-874

This discussion has been closed.