Can't manually add a login to 1Password for Windows

Options

I've been using 1Password for Mac for quite some time now without any issues at all. As I have started using Windows in Bootcamp a lot, I signed up for the Windows version.
My issue is, I cannot see how do add a login to 1Password in a browser. On Mac it was easy, I just clicked on the 1P icon, and selected 'save new login'. Now, I believe I am supposed to see the option as per this page https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/ but I don't see any of that when I click on the icon and then settings.
I would show examples, but I can't see how to attach an image here.
What am I missing?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@imacken: In most cases it isn't necessary to take the manual step of clicking to save a login in the 1Password desktop apps. Just try logging in, and 1Password will usually detect this and offer to save it. But we'll be adding the ability to manually save to the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app as well in a future update, as 1Password isn't perfect and won't always detect it. If you try logging in normally and 1Password doesn't offer to save it, be sure to let us know the URL so we can test it and see what we can do to help! :)

• imacken
    imacken
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty, but that doesn't sound too good. On Mac everything works nicely, but this Windows version seems quite clunky in comparison. At the moment, I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have paid out for it!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@imacken: We don't sell licenses for the new Windows app yet, as it needs support for local vaults first. Did you try what I suggested? I feel like having 1Password offer to save logins automatically is less "clunky" than doing it manually every time. ;)

• imacken
    imacken
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure what you mean about licences. I spent a reasonable amount of money on a 5 user licence which I used on Macs, but I recently discovered that I had to buy an additional licence to use on Windows. So that is what I did! I don't think I'm imagining it.
    Also not sure what you mean by 'doing it manually every time'. I didn't suggest that was the case. I only said I was unable to do it in this Windows version, and you confirmed that to be correct. It was/is not a problem on the Mac version.
    At the moment, I can't help but think the Windows version is a bit crippled compared to the Mac version. Am I wrong?

• imacken
    imacken
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I should say I had to take out a subscription rather than a licence to get 1Password working in Windows.

• imacken
    imacken
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having real problems with this Windows version of 1P. Often, if I go to a site to login, I get no prompt from 1Password, and if I click on the browser icon, I get as per attached image.
    I really don't understand what is going on.
    Any help appreciated.

• Hi @imacken,

We do apologize for the confusion, the latest version for licensed users is 1Password 4 for Windows, you've downloaded 1Password 6 that's designed initially for 1Password.com customers only and it doesn't have all of the features available yet. It'll take some time for us to implement the rest of the features.

You'd want to download 1Password 4 from here: https://agilebits.com/downloads

If you want to stick with 1Password 6 instead with your 1Password.com subscription, the issue is that 1Password app is not running at the time when you ask 1Password extension to open up. To fix this, check the box next to Always open links for 1Password for Windows desktop in Chrome and that'll open 1Password 6 each time you ask.

In addition, to auto-start 1Password 6 upon reboots (it is off by default for now), you'll want to turn this option on in Settings > General > Start 1Password automatically when I sign in to Windows.

1Password 6 does not yet support manual save, that's coming in the near future.

• imacken
    imacken
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT. I have now set 1P to start automatically, but I still say the Windows version is a bit crippled compared to what I am used to on Mac. Not having manual save would be OK, except there are so many sites I go to that 1P does not automatically pick up, that it becomes a little frustrating.
    When do you anticipate this feature to be incorporated, and also, when do you expect an extension for Edge? I am not really happy having to use Chrome to get 1P working!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@imacken: You're right, there are a number if things missing from the new app. We're working on adding them all, and things like manual save will come sooner rather than later since it's part of 1Password mini and we're continuing to iterate on that to get it up to par with the Mac version. No ETA, but it's coming. Thanks for your feedback on this, and I'm glad that Chrome is working for you in the mean time!

• Hi @imacken,

In addition to what Brenty said:

also, when do you expect an extension for Edge? I am not really happy having to use Chrome to get 1P working!

That's not totally in our control. Edge does not have any APIs we need to support it but we're working with Microsoft on this and hopefully, we'll have something to share soon.

This discussion has been closed.