Option to show Master Password as it's typed? --- Windows Desktop Ver 4.6.1.617

Options
narbie
narbie
Community Member
edited January 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have two questions. I use Windows Desktop version 4.6.1.617 -- OS Windows 10 PRO

First, when entering the Master Password to log into 1Password, or when changing the Master Password, the password is obscured by asterisks. I see no way to turn this off, or to toggle the view to allow the password to be seen. If this is a security feature designed to prevent shoulder surfing, I understand. But I use the program only on my home desktop, so shoulder surfing is not an issue, and the lack of the option to reveal the password, if that's true, has resulted in my inability to login to the program.

I changed my master password, and either what I thought I typed as my new password is not what I actually typed, or my Spy Shelter keyboard encryption feature modified the key input. In either case, since I couldn't see what was entered -- but see only asterisks --- I am now locked out of all my logins and my many notes. I am not a happy camper.

Second, is there a way to export notes? I don't see that option.

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @narbie,

Thanks for writing in.

I use the program only on my home desktop, so shoulder surfing is not an issue, and the lack of the option to reveal the password, if that's true, has resulted in my inability to login to the program.

It's not something we can control, we can't have one or the other. We ask Windows to provide a secure password field and it doesn't have that option to reveal it afterward. The OS has to store the textual string of your master password securely in memory or it can be read by any program running on your computer.

Microsoft has this available as an option for a password field for Windows 10's Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps and 1Password 4 isn't a UWP app, so we can't add this support.

changed my master password, and either what I thought I typed as my new password is not what I actually typed, or my Spy Shelter keyboard encryption feature modified the key input. In either case, since I couldn't see what was entered -- but see only asterisks --- I am now locked out of all my logins and my many notes. I am not a happy camper.

I'm not familiar with Spy Shelter, however, we do ask you to enter the same password twice to confirm the change is what you intended and no mistakes were made.

When you change the password, did you select the option to type via Secure Desktop, which would've prevented Spy Shelter from interfering with the input fields.

What you can do is restore the backup created prior to your password change. To do this, open 1Password and go to the Backup Menu > Restore 1Password Vault from Backup and select the backup that was created before your password change. You should be able to enter with the previous password.

Try changing the password with the secure desktop option and see if it works.

Second, is there a way to export notes? I don't see that option.

You can select all of the Secure Notes items and then go to the File Menu > Export menu to export them.

This discussion has been closed.