Migration Issue From Dropbox on Windows 10

Options

I'm a longtime 1Password customer on the Mac side of the house, but I am trying to migrate to Windows 10 & having issues importing the data from my previous database (currently living in Dropbox).

The migration instructions seem clear that I should select all my passwords from my old Dropbox vault, use the .csv option in "Save As", and then export a file of all my old data. Very straightforward. I'm running into an issue on import though.

1Password doesn't recognize a file ending as .csv in the file selection menu, and if I change the file's extension to .1pif, then 1Password finds the file but none of the data gets imported.

What am I missing here?

1Password Version: 6.2.333
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:saving as .1pif on windows 10

Comments

• Hi @rlux,

Thanks for writing in. We apologize for the confusion.

You should not be exporting anything in 1Password 6 if your local vault is already in Dropbox. Instead, you add the vault you have to 1Password 6, unlock it, and select all of the items in there to copy it to your 1Password.com account to complete the migration.

Let's do this in two stages:

Open your local vault in 1Password 6

First, you have to add your vault from Dropbox into 1Password 6. Does your vault file end in .agilekeychain or .opvault? If yes, follow the instructions in this specific guide, where it talks about using the Settings > Accounts & Vaults to open your vault. You'll need to sign in to your Dropbox account to pick up the local vault.

Migrate your data

Once you unlocked the local vault, 1Password will download the content and you should see it show up in your 1Password 6 database. Switch to your local vault by clicking on the vault selector on top left to select the vault below Dropbox.

After that, go to All Items and then in the second item list column, click on an item to focus it and then press Control + A to select all items. Now, click on Copy on top to copy it to your 1Password.com account's Personal vault.

After it is done, remove the local vault, here's how.

• rlux
    rlux
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike. That worked!

Someone might want to take a look at the workflow in the new user setup, especially https://my.1password.com/apps, because it doesn't give your method as an option at all, just a link to the migration guide that got me on the wrong track: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

• Hi @rlux,

You're welcome and thank you for sharing what you went through, that will help us improve our workflow because sometime it is hard to predict where everyone is coming in.

This discussion has been closed.