Login Twice for Browser Autofill on Startup?

Options
Keifer
Keifer
Community Member
edited February 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I've noticed after I start my computer from a cold boot (but before logging into 1Password) that I have to input my password twice in order for the 'ctrl + \' autofill works in my browser.

I have the Chrome 4.6.2.90 extension installed and it does eventually autofill my credentials, but only after I have input my password twice. This appears to be an initial problem because throughout the rest of the day I may need to only enter my password once (after it times out due to inactivity).

After the first attempt to authenticate the extension, it accepts my password, but returns 'no results' found, requiring me to do Ctrl + \ again. After the 2nd attempt, it will autofill my credentials.

I've attached an image with step-by-step instructions to reproduce this behavior.

I just wanted to know - is this intended behavior? It appears to be a bug.

1Password Version: 6.3.359.0
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit Build 9600
Sync Type: 1Password Account
Referrer: forum-search:Login Twice to Autofill on Startup?

Comments

• Hi @Keifer,

Thanks for writing in.

It is not intended for sure but we do have a known limitation where unlocking 1Password mini initially (cold start), it doesn't refresh to fill or show you the matched items, this will be fixed. However, you shouldn't be unlocking twice in any situations.

Just to be clear when you say input your password twice, you mean you saw 1Password mini popped up with lock view, you enter the password and you've dismissed it, bring it up again, it shows locked view or can you explain a bit more?

Is it possible 1Password isn't set to auto-start on its own after reboots? If yes, that may be the issue because if you click on 1Password icon in your browser first time, extension will notice it cannot find the 1Password mini and sends out a call to start 1Password for you, which can result into two separate locked views, the main 1Password app and the 1Password mini. To fix this:

1. Open the main 1Password app, unlock, and go to Settings on top right (gear icon) to select Options.
    2. In General, check the box next to Start 1Password automatically when I sign in to Windows.

After that, you should only see 1Password mini show up locked because 1Password would be already running by then.

• Keifer
    Keifer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply Mike - see below for my inline responses in bold
    It is not intended for sure but we do have a known limitation where unlocking 1Password mini initially (cold start), it doesn't refresh to fill or show you the matched items, this will be fixed. However, you shouldn't be unlocking twice in any situations. This certainly sounds like a possible root cause for the behavior I am experiencing.

Just to be clear when you say input your password twice, you mean you saw 1Password mini popped up with lock view, you enter the password and you've dismissed it, bring it up again, it shows locked view or can you explain a bit more? 1Password mini pops up the first time I do 'Ctrl + \' in the browser, but it doesn't show any matched items (which causes the autofill to fail). I then immediately do a 'Ctrl + \' a second time and it finds the item and autofills the credentials. You care correct in that I don't have to sign-in more than once when doing this, just having to press 'Ctrl + \' twice after a cold boot.

Is it possible 1Password isn't set to auto-start on its own after reboots? No, I have 1Password set to run on startup. If yes, that may be the issue because if you click on 1Password icon in your browser first time, extension will notice it cannot find the 1Password mini and sends out a call to start 1Password for you, which can result into two separate locked views, the main 1Password app and the 1Password mini. To fix this:

Open the main 1Password app, unlock, and go to Settings on top right (gear icon) to select Options.
    In General, check the box next to Start 1Password automatically when I sign in to Windows.
    After that, you should only see 1Password mini show up locked because 1Password would be already running by then.

• Hi @Keifer,

Thanks for the details, in that case, it is a confirmed bug that we will fix as soon as possible.

We're stamping out the need to refresh data too often and make the 1Password app "data-context-aware" by only updating when it needs to. For an example, if a sync session doesn't result in any changes, don't refresh but it does refresh right now regardless of the results and if you edit a single item, don't refresh the entire database, just the item itself. The pieces are being added in each 1Password update we release as it's a huge change, thus we're splitting it in each smaller updates to roll it out over time. Once fully rolled out, we'll be able to tell 1Password mini what to do exactly in this situation.

This discussion has been closed.