Syncing Windows 10 with android device running Android 4.4

Options

I am currently migrating my data from a macbook, where and have 1Password installed (and have recently upgraded to 1Password accounts), to Windows 10. My intention was to install 1Password on Windows 10 and dispose of my macbook. However, my issue is how am I going to be able to sync 1Password on Windows 10 with my android device which is running Android 4.4 and does not support 1Password accounts. I understand that sync'ing using a WLAN server or sync'ing using Dropbox will not be available on 1Password6 on Windows 10.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: 1Password Accounts

Comments

• Hi @Chesh,

Thanks for writing in.

Technically, 1Password 6 for Windows does have limited read-only sync via Dropbox, so you could make changes on the Android device only and 1Password 6 could pick it up. However and sadly, yes, there's not really a great solution between Android 4.x device and Windows 10 with 1Password.com service. You'd have to fall back to the previous versions with standalone 1Password 4 for Windows and use either Wi-Fi or Dropbox sync with your Android device.

You might want to hold off disposing your MacBook for a bit until you're set up with 1Password between Windows 10 and Android 4 because 1Password 6 for macOS is more mature and can do more than 1Password 6 for Windows at the moment, meaning you may need to use the macOS version to export the data into the local vault format that 1Password 4/6 will understand.

Please let me know what you'd like to do.

• Chesh
    Chesh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Many thanks for the response; my intent is to set everything up on the new Windows 10 (in about 3 weeks when I receive the laptop) then verify that I can access everything that I could from my macbook; my next step would be my android mobile. Are you saying that I would need 1Password 4 on Windows rather than 1Password 6 and how does this play with having 1Password accounts? Can I even selectively install a retrograde version (1Password 4) on windows?

• MikeT
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @Chesh,

There are two separate 1Password versions on Windows that does not exist elsewhere; 1Password 4 for standalone local vaults only and 1Password 6 for 1Password.com accounts only, we don't yet have a single Windows client that can do both local vaults and 1Password.com account like the other apps.

We couldn't add 1Password.com account support to 1Password 4, so we've built a new program with 1Password 6. The problem with building a new program is that it takes a lot of time to implement everything that the previous version have, and in this case, the local vaults support you need to sync via Dropbox to your Android device that can't use 1Password.com account.

Are you saying that I would need 1Password 4 on Windows rather than 1Password 6 and how does this play with having 1Password accounts?

There's no combination of versions that would let you use your 1Password account only, this is one of the rare combination of devices that simply doesn't yet work with 1Password.com. You also cannot convert data between 1Password 4 and 6 for Windows, 1Password.com account and local vaults are also different. You need a single client that can work with both at the same time, this isn't available on Windows yet.

Can I even selectively install a retrograde version (1Password 4) on windows?

Yes as both 1Password 4 and 1Password 6 are entirely different programs. The only time you might have an issue is using the 1Password browser extensions. You can find out how to make both work with your extensions in this guide.

This discussion has been closed.