1Password 4 vs 1Password 6 [1P6 is not an upgrade to 1P4 yet]

Options
alamarco
alamarco
Community Member
edited February 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I've been using 1Password 4 on Windows and have been staying up to date. I have a license for it. I just noticed 1Password 6 has been released. I downloaded and installed it. I don't see any license requirements. Did it take my license from 1Password 4 and apply it to 1Password 6?

I have my database stored in Dropbox.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @alamarco,

Thanks for writing in.

1Password 6 is not yet an upgrade to 1Password 4, 1Password 4 is still the latest version for the license owners. It doesn't yet have all of the features implemented that 1Password 4 have, it does not support local vaults (Dropbox) nor does it support licensing yet. That's why we haven't mentioned it as an upgrade available in 1Password 4 nor market it as well. 1Password 6 is currently limited to 1Password.com accounts but does have basic read-only support for local vaults for help with migrating your local vaults to 1Password.com account.

If you'd like to use more features of 1Password 6, you can give 1Password.com a try for 30 days and if it doesn't fit your needs at the moment, you'd want to switch back to 1Password 4.

• alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member
    Options

I was able to add my vault that is connected to Dropbox to 1Password 6. Are you saying that it is read-only and I wouldn't be able to add to it?

I guess I see that now. When I click the New Item box, it does nothing. It might be a good idea to make it more obvious that adding Dropbox is read-only. I didn't see anything mentioning read-only when I added my account (maybe I overlooked?) and nothing in the application tells me it's read-only except now when I notice the button doing nothing. Normally I'd consider the button doing nothing a bug if you didn't just tell me it was read-only.

• Hi @alamarco,

It might be a good idea to make it more obvious that adding Dropbox is read-only.

Ah, that is a good idea. We did it on the Edit button but not the New Item button:

I didn't see anything mentioning read-only when I added my account (maybe I overlooked?)

Do you mean during the welcome tour after installing 1Password? We'll look at clarifying that in a future update.

• alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member
    Options

I was more leaning more toward when you add the vault. When I setup my Dropbox account, it should warn me that while it will add the vault, the vault will be read-only. As it is now, you can add your Dropbox vault with no warning that it will be limited.

• Hi @alamarco,

Good suggestion, I'll bring it up with our team to see if we can add it there.

• alamarco
    alamarco
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help Mike. :)

• Thank you for your suggestions!

• Winter_mute
    Winter_mute
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi guys,

I have similiar case as @alamarco - I also purchased license for 1Password for Windows, but I've recently changed my PC to the newer one and now can not find where I can download 1Password 4.

Could you please drop me a link?

It very annoys when you cannot update your passwords.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Winter_mute: I am sorry for this confusion!

1Password 4 is available to download on our website. See "Get 1Password 4 (standalone version)" link below the Download button.

I hope it helps. If there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• Winter_mute
    Winter_mute
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Greg,

Thanks a lot! It was not easy to find, but finally I have 1Password 4 and it works perfectly.

Looking forward for the new version, hope that there would be a special offer for those who have license.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Winter_mute: You are very welcome! :+1: I am glad to hear I was able to help.

Please stay updated with the latest news and reach out if you have any questions. We are always ready to help. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• mia
    mia
    Community Member
    Options

Some advice from a veteran user of 1PW.

The download structure of your site is very misleading. It directs the users to download V6 when in fact it's not ready for prime time. Perhaps swap the two or make TWO sections so people know what they're getting into.
    Here's a pic:
    http://i.imgur.com/gN3y2cG.png

it certainly seems like you guys are pushing everyone into the v6 app when it's apparently not ready for primetime.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mia: Thank you for your suggestion! :+1:

The thing is that we do not prompt 1Password 4 users to update to 1Password 6, but I see where you are coming from. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, we will take a look at what we can do better there.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.