Sync problem with a Teams account

Options

Hi,

Last Friday, we had a sync problem with our Teams account.

I copied a password from one vault to another using the beta Win10 app, then waited for my colleague to see the new login in his non-beta Win10 app (he only has access to the second vault in this case).

When he didn't see the credentials after a few minutes, I suggested he logged in to the website because there have been sync issues with the app and he didn't have the latest version. He still couldn't see the new login but, as soon as I logged in to the website myself, he could see the new item too.

So in this case, it appears my colleague's view of the shared vault (the one with the newly copied item) was updated not when I copied the item, not when I killed and reopened the Win10 app, not when he opened the app or the website, but only when I logged in to the website myself. At that point though, he could immediately access the new credentials.

Regards,

PS: I didn't know exactly where to ask this, so please feel free to move the thread wherever.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @grossolini,

Thank you for a detailed feedback! The situation you are describing is very unusual, we didn't have reports like this before. Let's try to find out what is going on.

First of all, are you able to reproduce the issue? If you do, great. Please reproduce the issue and share two diagnostics reports with us: one from you and one from your teammate. We will take a closer look for potential reasons of such behaviour. Here is how you can send a report to us.

Attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com.

Please do not post them here, but do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. You should also receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

It sounds like you were offline due to unstable network and the data wasn't uploaded in the first place. The full sync and upload was triggered only when you logged in on the website.

Thank you very much in advance! We will be looking forward to your email. :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,
    Unfortunately, we are unable to reproduce.
    The fact that I was able to login to the website and immediately see the credentials suggests the upload did work, don't you think?

• Hi @grossolini,

That's the tricky question because the nature of logging into the 1Password.com website does trip the sync notifier in 1Password 6 for Windows to do a sync and you may have seen the result of that sync immediately, the sync between 1Password app and the servers are extremely fast for just one item, you can actually see changes in real time if you try it.

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, ok. Then we might still have the "pending changes" issues we've been talking about, but now the app doesn't know it?

• Hi @grossolini,

Yep, that is correct. We haven't yet fixed all the edge cases that network instability is causing with the notifier and local updates, so it can be inconsistent right now and it can get into the stage where pending changes doesn't show anything because the notifier is limited to picking up remote changes, not the other way with local changes. That's why it worked instantly when you log in, the notifier saw the remote activity, does a sync and bam, the item is uploaded.

We're still working on improvements to make the notifier more aggressive about reconnecting more often after network errors but we have to be careful because it could cause sync loops, so this is going to take a bit longer to fix. For now, this didn't make the cut for the 6.3 stable update but will be followed up in the next one quickly.

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,
    That's the thing, I wasn't aware we had connectivity issues on our end.
    Maybe you could trigger a sync every hour or so from the time the app starts until this is fixed?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@grossolini: Thank you for writing back! :+1:

The thing is that every-hour-sync workaround will also require an update, which will take time away from our team, who are focused on fixing the initial issue. I will make sure to pass your suggestion along, so we could have a discussion.

Thank you for participating in the forums and using 1Password. :) Feel free to ping us anytime, we are always ready to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

• grossolini
    grossolini
    Community Member
    Options

Sure thing! It's great to see that you care about feedback.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

grossolini: We really do. :) Thank you once again!

This discussion has been closed.