Where is the Emergency Kit PDF file on Windows 10 laptop?

Options

Where (which folder) does the install procedure put the Emergency Kit PDF on Windows 10 laptop? I advised a friend to install 1Password and use it. They say that they are now unable to start the 1Password app because it wants some sort of code, maybe a sign-in address. They think it is in the Emergency Kit PDF file, but they don't know where this is. I'm beginning to think I should have never agreed to help them out.

They say they haven't paid for a license yet. I think the best course of action would be to forget this install and start all over again. They say they have done that but get the same result (whatever that means).

Is there a way to purge their computer of 1Password files and start all over again with a stand-alone license? We are trying to Uninstall, but get a message that another installation is in progress and we have to wait until that is done. We've been waiting about 24 hours now.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Where is Emergency Kit PDF on Windows 10 laptop?

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @swilson,

I am sorry your friends bumped into troubles with 1Password! You did the right thing by contacting us.

Where (which folder) does the install procedure put the Emergency Kit PDF on Windows 10 laptop? I advised a friend to install 1Password and use it. They say that they are now unable to start the 1Password app because it wants some sort of code, maybe a sign-in address. They think it is in the Emergency Kit PDF file, but they don't know where this is. I'm beginning to think I should have never agreed to help them out.

It seems that your friends have downloaded 1Password 6 for Windows and signed up for a new 1Password account. The Emergency Kit is a PDF document with the account details and a place to write your Master Password. We suggest to save it after account registration. 1Password 6 app doesn't save this document automatically.

If your friends are going to use their account, they will need to know their email, sign-in address, Account Key, and Master Password. Am I right to understand that they don't have this info?

They say they haven't paid for a license yet. I think the best course of action would be to forget this install and start all over again. They say they have done that but get the same result (whatever that means). Is there a way to purge their computer of 1Password files and start all over again with a stand-alone license? We are trying to Uninstall, but get a message that another installation is in progress and we have to wait until that is done. We've been waiting about 24 hours now.

There is a way to start over with 1Password on their PC. If their account is still empty, it will be the best course of action in this situation. However, if you are planning to use 1Password with a local vault and a standalone license, you should download 1Password 4, not 1Password 6, because 1Password 6 is focused on 1Password accounts at the moment.

If your friends are interested in starting over with a new account, there is a getting started guide on our website. It would be a wise choice, because 1Password accounts is the best way to use 1Password right now. :) Learn more:

What is the difference between a 1Password account and a standalone license?

I hope it helps. If you or your friends have more questions, please let us know. We are always ready to help. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.