Create new category?

Poiks
Poiks
Community Member

Can users create new categories? If not, I'd ask you to consider adding "motor vehicle" as a category, with fields for:
*Acquisition date
*Vehicle Identification Number
*Make
*Model
*Year
*Color
*License Plate
*License Plate State

Thanks for your consideration.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:category

Comments

• csmoran9
    csmoran9
    Community Member

Hi Polks,

At this time it is not possible to create your own categories.

From other posts I have read you can add custom fields (https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/add-custom-fields.html) or use Secure Notes to store certain data.

Cheers,

Conor

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Poiks,

csmoran9 is correct, there's no option to create your own custom categories, but I agree that would be a great feature, and our developers are hoping to be able to do something like that.

For now, if you have information that doesn't seem to fit into any existing category in 1Password, the Secure Notes category is a great option, and as csmoran9 mentioned, you can even add custom fields to organize your data the way you want. A post on our blog explains more about that: Secure all the things in Secure Notes

To make it easy to create multiple items with the same set of custom fields, you can set one up the way you want it, then save that as a "template". Then you can duplicate that item (right-click the item and choose Duplicate) and fill in the fields. You can group those items together by using Tags. You can even add custom icons to those items.

I hope this helps, but if you have any questions about that, just let us know. Cheers! :)

• evangoldin
    evangoldin
    Community Member

Would also love to see vehicles as a category!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We're probably not going to add that, as the number of different categories that are requested from time to time would make 1Password a bit of a mess. But we do hope to have custom categories in a future version. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• evangoldin
    evangoldin
    Community Member

Just googled around to see if 1P supported custom categories…and realized I did the same thing, ended up on this thread and commented on it 6 months ago. Oh, Internet.

Custom categories would be great! Today, was thinking about using 1P as a Home Inventory system, since all I need is a custom category and I could replace the need for this: https://www.thebalance.com/best-home-inventory-apps-ios-1294003

Any update?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@evangoldin: I do a bit of that myself using Secure Notes. No update, as that would actually be pretty big news and something we wouldn't want to bury in a forum thread like this. If and when we do add custom categories, it'll be a huge deal and you'll likely hear about it pretty quickly as it would involve some major updates to all seven of the 1Password apps that exist today. It's something we'd like as well, but it's helpful to know how passionate you are for a feature like this. Cheers! :)

• graniteDon
    graniteDon
    Community Member

I'm a new user, just set up my 30-day trial account this evening. I'm considering switching from a different password manager, and was somewhat dismayed to learn that custom categories are not supported. So I'm putting in my 2-bits to make this available. In my current manager I have organized my 400+ entries in 19 different "categories" (aka "Types"). It's actually a downgrade to condense this into just a few categories. My current manager also supports custom field names, icons, etc.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@graniteDon ,

Perhaps my reply here, assisting another user with the same issue, will be useful to you. Follow the link posted in the post.

• graniteDon
    graniteDon
    Community Member

@MrC,

Thanks for the quick reply. I reviewed the earlier forum discussions, and realize I have a lot to discover about 1Password. Unfortunately for me, I'm stuck with a certain paradigm, and need to spend time with the tools to find the best way to proceed. It is good that AgileBits gives me 30 days to work through this.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@graniteDon

That's a good idea. This is a good place to get a good overview of 1Password:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-mac/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@graniteDon: Thanks for taking the time to evaluate 1Password, and to let us know you'd also like us to add a custom categories feature. We do want that feature ourselves, but I have no way of knowing for certain at this point if and when that may be possible. I think it's important that you make your decision based on what 1Password can do today though, not on hopes of imagined future versions.

• graniteDon
    graniteDon
    Community Member

@brenty

Thanks for this info. I've already imported all my data and spent a few hours re-organizing it. The import function put a very large number of entries into the generic Secure Notes category, and the standard set of categories does offer me better choices than I had realized earlier. This 'cleanup' exercise is actually driving me to improve my data as well, certainly long overdue. I have quite a bit more work to do, but already I've decided that 1Password will be a better choice for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Oh wow. Yeah, I know how that goes. I think I need to do some cleanup again myself... :scream: Anyway, glad to be of help! We're here if you need us. :)

• Gaetan
    Gaetan
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

I completed the export from KeePass 2.40 and imported the data into a new local vault so that I can get an idea of the amount of post-import activities I have to perform. Like many users, I am very disappointed by the inability of 1P to let me organize my entries the way I want. The KeePass folders structure is highly fluid. Being limited to only 4 categories (Logins, Secure Notes, Credit Cards, Identities) is IMO an artificial limitation of 1P.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Gaetan ,

It sounds like you did a CSV import.

How many different "categories" do you have, and what were you hoping to accomplish?

• Gaetan
    Gaetan
    Community Member

I used the convert_to_1P4 tool to process the exported KeePass 2 XML file and create a 1PIF file that I then imported into 1P. I saw that the folders hierarchy I had in KeePass now have equivalent TAGS in 1P. Luckily I did not go crazy with the folders structure in KeePass so I only have to deal with TAG or TAG::TAG in 1P as a way to locate my entries. I was due to re-organize my structure in KeyPass (~20 folders). But now that my data is in 1P, I have to make do with the core 4 categories. Had I been able to create my own categories, I think that I would have been able to organize the entries "My Way" with a total of maybe 5-10 categories.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2018

@Gaetan ,

Ah, OK then.

You should use the 1.11 version of the converter suite. It is in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post. It has a change you want:

• keepass2: Changed group separator from :: to / so that it will nest as Tags using 1Password's tag hierarchy.

I ask about the categories because the converter can be customized. Keepass2 really only supports a web login-type category natively, and supports user-supplied custom fields. So the converter has only been coded to support this type of stock, simple conversion. It, and no other converter or importer, could know what your custom data is/means. But it can be customized to do what you want.

1Password has more than 4 categories:

So are there some customizations you want?

• Gaetan
    Gaetan
    Community Member

Whao ... how did you get all those categories? I have only 4 and the few posts I read today indicates that I cannot create my own categories (see LARS explanation ... https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/86596/how-do-i-add-more-categories).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Gaetan

or click on the + symbol to the right of the Search box, as in my image above.

Lars meant that you cannot add to the categories already shown above in my screenshot.

Add custom fields and sections to any categories, and use Secure Notes for anything that doesn't fit:

https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/11/20/secure-all-the-things-in-secure-notes/

• Gaetan
    Gaetan
    Community Member

OK I now feel like an ..s :-(
    So far I had been so focused on importing my data from KeePass that I had yet to create the first manual entry using the "+" button. I now see that I can select from a range of pre-defined categories. This is the look for 1P for Windows version 7.2.581;

Thanks for the screenshot.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

No worries @Gaetan !

Since you cannot move items between categories, it is sometimes worthwhile to customize the converter to get your items into the right place during conversion vs. after moving the data after import. This is why I'm asking what you need now, since after you've done a lot of work within 1Password, it won't be worthwhile anymore to re-convert/re-import.

• Gaetan
    Gaetan
    Community Member

1P does not let a user create custom categories but I think it is not so bad since there are 18 hard coded categories to choose from (unfortunately, Networking is not a category). I can deal with that.
    I can duplicate an entry but I am not given the choice of selecting into which category the duplicated entry will reside in.
    What is the rationale of not allowing entries to be moved between categories?
    Is it a limitation that is planned to be lifted in a future release?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Gaetan

That's correct.

I think the lack of ability to move items between categories is simply legacy, the lack of a UI to do this, and the complexity a UI such as this would bring (1Password has many internal fields and several field-data types, and these do not naturally just map 1 to 1 across categories).

I have no idea what Agilebits will do, but this has been a requested feature.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gaetan: @MrC is right: it's mainly legacy baggage. We've got these well-defined item templates that all of the apps expect and understand, and trying to convert from one to another would often be lossy as a result. It just wasn't designed with extensibility or customization in mind. We're heading in that direction and hopefully will be able to offer more flexibility in the future, but it will require a good spec, UI, and support for it in all (seven or so) of the apps in order for that to happen. Definitely something we want, but not a short road.

• svenyonson
    svenyonson
    Community Member

Please add custom categories. I would like to have a category that is just a electronic version of non-credit cards in your wallet, such as
    "Cards"

• Social Security
    • Health Insurance
    • Medicare
    • Frequent Shopper cards

Basically has front/back scanned images of the cards, and whatever metadata you want to add.

• svenyonson
    svenyonson
    Community Member

(nevermind I just saw the additional categories when adding a new entry)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• snowflake
    snowflake
    Community Member

@brenty As a new user, I have also immediately found myself asking how to add my custom categories, but understand your points about it being a major effort to make 1Password more extensible. A point I would like to raise is that since the creation of a custom category is a one-time thing, I am not sure you need to offer that on all apps at the same time. You could start with just the browser, gather experience, improve, and then roll out to other apps as deemed appropriate. This might simplify/speed up the development path. To me it's much more important to have the functionality available somewhere than everywhere. ;-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@snowflake:

Thank you for the feedback! That is indeed the approach we took when we added custom categories as a beta feature in our Business accounts ;)

• snowflake
    snowflake
    Community Member

@ag_ana Perfect! I look forward to this feature in non-business accounts. ;)

This discussion has been closed.