Moving from 1Password 4 to 6

Options
kurtd
kurtd
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Why does 1Password 4 not auto update to 6? Anyway I installed 6 and noticed my folders are gone so now I have over 700 logins completely unorganized. I understand that folders are going away so is there a way to import the folder names as tags in the new version?

1Password Version: 4.6.1.617
Extension Version:
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:import folders to tags

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @kurtd,

Thank you for reaching out and giving us a chance to help!

You don't see 1Password 6 as an update for 1Password 4, because it is not an update to 1Password 4 (yet). The thing is that 1Password 6 for Windows is focused on our 1Password accounts and we don't have folders in 1Password accounts anymore.

If you prefer using local vaults, you should stick with 1Password 4 for the time being. If you want to migrate your data to 1Password account, please try to import your items as .1PIF into an 1Password.com account – your folders structure should be converted to tags on the fly. Let me know if it works.

1Password accounts support multiple vaults. You can create a separate vault for your needs. This works great for keeping these items nicely separated and a really awesome benefit is you can access these vaults separately or together in All Vaults view. Moreover, tags serve the same basic function as folders, plus you can assign multiple tags to each item (whereas an item could only be added to a single folder).

We're starting with basic tags support first and it doesn't mean there won't be any improvements (for example, nested tags or smart folders based on tags, etc.) in the future.

I hope it helps and answers your question. If there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• WGBeekhuis
    WGBeekhuis
    Community Member
    Options

I have a related question to this item. When i checked my Windows License version 4.6.1.617. I noticed that there is an upgrade possible. I cannot find to which version this upgrade will lead.
    I also read at the Windows Forum that there some not yet developped features such as creating new Items. I planned to remain the use of the single version on my Windows PC/MACbook Pro/iPhone/iPad. I'm syncing with Dropbox

I have 2 questions:
    What are the benefits of this upgrade or should I wait till more functionality is implemented?
    Which features has to be developed and what are the expected timelines?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @WGBeekhuis,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password! :)

If you upgrade your existing license (Single license for 1Password 4 for Windows), your new license will include 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password 6 for Mac. This is a license upgrade, not an app update. It seems that you are using 1Password 4.6.1.617 and this is the latest version of 1Password 4 for Windows. If you prefer local vaults, you should stick with 1Password 4 for the time being.

As I've mentioned above, 1Password 6 for Windows is not considered an update for 1Password 4 yet. It is focused on our new subscription-based accounts and we are working hard to bring 1Password 6 on Windows to feature parity with 1Password 4 or 1Password 6 for Mac.

If you are interested in using 1Password 6, please read about the benefits of 1Password accounts and sign up for one on our website. Your existing license does not include an account, this is a completely new service provided by us. You will get free 30 days trial to check if it suits you.

I hope it helps. I know how overwhelming it is, so please do not hesitate to ask more questions. :) Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• WGBeekhuis
    WGBeekhuis
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg ,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I already have a MacOS (OSX) license from the Appstore, so I my conclusion is that this license upgrade makes no sense for me at this moment.

Is there any idea or plan when 1Password6 will be more compatible to the 1Password4 functionality with stand-alone vaults?

Cheers,

Willem

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@WGBeekhuis: Unfortunately, I don't have any timeframes for you at this point. I hope for your understanding. Thank you!

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

"If you prefer using local vaults, you should stick with 1Password 4 for the time being. If you want to migrate your data to 1Password account, please try to import your items as .1PIF into an 1Password.com account – your folders structure should be converted to tags on the fly. Let me know if it works."

I have no plans to move to an online account as I prefer to use my own cloud storage to store the database. It seems like folders should be converted to tags even if we are not using the online account otherwise we lose all the organization we set up in v4.

The main reason I wanted to go to v6 now is because it seems to be the default download on your website and I have no idea if these security fixes are in v4 or only included in v6. http://thehackernews.com/2017/02/password-manager-apps.html

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @kurtd,

It seems like folders should be converted to tags even if we are not using the online account otherwise we lose all the organization we set up in v4.

The issues you're referring to are for the Android version of 1Password only, they are not applicable to the Windows (or others) versions of 1Password.

You can find 1Password 4 from here: https://agilebits.com/downloads

It seems like folders should be converted to tags even if we are not using the online account otherwise we lose all the organization we set up in v4.

It will, 1Password 6 does not know how to read folders yet when you open the local vaults directly. It only supports reading them when converting them to tags into the 1Password.com accounts.

This discussion has been closed.