1Password Extension vs 1 Password?

Options

Hello, I’m unable to access the part of the app that stores notes on my Mac version 10.12.3 & am unable to remember where I originally sourced 1Password from. I have 1 Password version 3.9.20 and possibly 4.6.3? I don't understand the difference between 1Password and 1Password Extension.
I’m able to access my passwords through the icon that sits next to the input field for internet searching.
I'm unable to locate the extension version because when I click on the icon that’s in my task bar dock, I get an NSInvalidArguementException and am only able to click away from it by clicking on another program. Yes, I'm techno challenged. I'm afraid to uninstall for fear of losing my data. Please help! Thank you.

1Password Version: 3.9.20
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: unsure

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RLBagni,

I am very sorry it took us longer than usual to get back to you here! It sounds like there are multiple things happening here, but the main one is that 1Password 3 for Mac is a much older version which does not work well on recent versions of macOS / OS X. We have more information about that here: 1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X

What you'll want to do is upgrade to 1Password 6 on your Mac, and we explain how to do that here: How to upgrade from 1Password 3 on your Mac

To address some other things you mentioned:

I have 1 Password version 3.9.20 and possibly 4.6.3?

4.6.3 is the latest version of the 1Password browser extension, but that won't work with the 1Password 3 app. Version 4 of the browser extension requires version 4, 5, or 6 of the main 1Password app. Which leads to this:

I don't understand the difference between 1Password and 1Password Extension.

The "main app" is the 1Password app file which should be in the Applications folder on your Mac. That's the main part of the 1Password software. If you open it, you should be able to unlock and see all the items you've added to 1Password.

The 1Password browser extension is installed separately in your web browser. Without the browser extension, the main 1Password app would not be able to connect with your browser to fill web forms or offer to save Logins. The extension requires the main app to be installed in order to work.

Does that help? If you have any trouble upgrading to 1Password 6, just let us know and we'll be happy to help you with that. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.