Upgraded to 6.3.359 from v4, now Firefox and IE browser extensions do not work

Options

Firefox extension connections to 1Password 6 app are refused. I don't see an extension for IE. Chrome extension is working

1Password Version: 6.3.359
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: win 8
Sync Type: account

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @RyinSF,

Thanks for writing in.

1Password 6 will not be supporting the legacy IE but we are working with Microsoft on supporting Edge on Windows 10 later this year. I know you said you're using Windows 8, so that means 1Password 6 will not be supporting the default browser there.

As for Firefox, do you see the "Helper is not running" message or what is not working exactly?

Can you tell me what anti-malware solution you're using? You may have to adjust it for 1Password 6 if you had to do the same for 1Password 4.

• RYinSF
    RYinSF
    Community Member
    Options

I get a "Looking for the 1Password helper..." message in a browser window when i click on the extension icon in Firefox. In the 1Password app it logs a "refused connection attempt". The helper appears to be running - 1Password for Windows Desktop is a background process. As I mentioned before, the Chrome extension works, which I think confirms the helper is running.

Version 4 ran with no firewall, virus or malware modifications.

My company is using the Windows firewall, McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 and Malwarebytes 1.80.2.1012 with the latest database.

It is very disappointing that IE is not supported - being able to use 1Passport effectively on my work laptop was one of the things that made having to use Windows tolerable.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @RYinSF,

In the 1Password app it logs a "refused connection attempt".

That means 1Password is the one rejecting the connection from Firefox and the most common reason is Firefox has a bad certificate that could be caused by being outdated or it is not an official Firefox version built by Mozilla.

Where did you originally download Firefox from?

It is very disappointing that IE is not supported

IE doesn't use a modern extension framework, it requires a binary plug-in that wouldn't be able to do everything that the modern 1Password extension can. We actually use the same extension core between Chrome, Firefox, Brave, Opera, and Vivaldi, none of which can be used in IE. Given that 1Password 6 is still undergoing heavy development, our focus is on building more of 1Password 6 and the IE plug-in would've eaten up a lot of our resources. It is possible we may change our minds and add support for IE later.

• RYinSF
    RYinSF
    Community Member
    Options

MikeT - thanks for your quick responses and your support. I had installed Firefox from Mozilla originally. I uninstalled and reinstalled from Mozilla - same result - 1Password refuses the connection.

You don't have to convince me that IE is a sub-par browser, wouldn't be using it if it wasn't for it's unique support of enterprise AD single-signon.

• MikeT
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @RYinSF,

That would suggest a third party interference or even an extension in Firefox could get in the way. Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report? Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

This discussion has been closed.