1Password 6 - Backups or Local Vault Sync

Options

I'm considering replacing my trusty 1Password 4 with the new 1Password 6 and 1Password account. Can 1Password 6 sync my cloud passwords to a local vault or automate backups locally?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Al Nelson,

Thanks for writing in.

1Password 6 for Windows does not currently support local vaults, it only supports 1Password.com accounts.

Since we automatically handle the backups for you on 1Password.com, there are no backups in any of the local 1Password apps for 1Password.com accounts.

• Al Nelson
    Al Nelson
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thankyou for the response.

My 1Password6 lets me open a local folder or dropbox account (which could be a local folder), isn't that support for local vaults in some sense?

I am just not sure if I want to trust 1Password cloud entirely - but I like some of the features such as shared vaults for family.

Do the 1Password clients cache my passwords or I need internet access in able to retrieve passwords?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Al Nelson,

My 1Password6 lets me open a local folder or dropbox account (which could be a local folder), isn't that support for local vaults in some sense?

Local vaults in 1Password 6 for Windows are supported in read-only mode and do not sync automatically, if you make changes on other devices.

I am just not sure if I want to trust 1Password cloud entirely - but I like some of the features such as shared vaults for family.

The security of your data in 1Password is the top priority for us and we take it really seriously. When you have 1Password account, your data is protected by the Secret Key in addition to your Master Password, so 1Password account is the best way to use 1Password right now. :) If you are interested to learn more about our security model, please check this article out:

About the 1Password security model

Do the 1Password clients cache my passwords or I need internet access in able to retrieve passwords?

If you use the 1Password apps, your data will always be cached locally on your devices, so you can view and edit it without an internet connection. Any changes you make will become available on your other devices when you next go online.

If you have any other questions, please let us know, we are always ready to help!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Al Nelson
    Al Nelson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Greg, that is helpful information.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome Al! :chuffed: Please reach out to us anytime.

Cheers,
    Greg

• strap1972
    strap1972
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure what to think about this... I believe the customer should have the opportunity to backup it's own data, not being 100% dependent of your backup mechanism/company.
    I have faith in the security model, but having my own backup avalaible somewhere on my private storage just seems logic to me.

• @strap1972 Thanks for your feedback. We understand where you're coming from.

The issue with this is that with 1Password accounts, the server is the central repository for your data. We (or rather our servers) take care of backing up the data, giving you access to a full item history, and making sure that your data is always available on all of your devices.

The data that is present on the clients is always just a snapshot of the data you have in your account and it gets updated whenever you make a change. The local database is there to provide offline access not a folder to back up the data.

Although if you have an automated backup solution, it will capture the folder and create a backup of the local database.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Alex

Community Member
    Options

I agree with Strap1972, i'm very supprised that support of local vaults, managed by ourselves is not part of 1Password 6. I certainly wouldn't trust any company with all my passwords, regardless of their security/privacy modles.

Is this the route 1Password are going down? Will local vault syncing be added at a later date? If not, i'll be looking elsewhere!

• Hey @1471,

1Password 6 will not receive support for local vaults. I'm sorry if that's not what you're looking for.
    If you need local vaults and the ability to manage your data locally, then 1Password 4 for Windows is still the way to go.

Please let us know if you have questions or any more feedback.

Cheers,

Alex

Community Member
    Options

Thats pretty dissapointing, thanks for the update.

• Kristian
    Kristian
    Community Member
    Options

@AlexHoffmann @MikeT writes in this post, "We still want to add local vaults/licenses to 1Password 6 down the line." You write: "1Password 6 will not receive support for local vaults.". I am confused.

• I'm sorry, Kristian, you're right.

My wording was bad. What we have now as 1Password 6 will not receive local vault support but we want to add support for this at a later point. I just don't believe that 6 will be the version number once it happens.
    Right now, if you need local vaults, 1Password 4 is the way to go, and it will be until we have something to announce.

Cheers,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.