1password 6.4.377d on Win10 vault won't unlock

Options

I had 1password4 for Windows10 and it was working fine. I installed 1password6 v. 6.4.377d for Windows10 and launched it. It went straight to my password vault login window. I entered my password but the lock slot turned red and wouldn't let me in. I restarted 1password4 and it let me in and the vault opened. I am a legacy Dropbox sync user and now also have some vaults in 1Password for Families.

I completely deinstalled 1Password4 and 1Password6 and renamed my "data" folder to "data-backup" and reinstalled only 1password6. This time, when I launched it, I was presented with the 1password for Families setup screen (the one that asks for the QR code or Account Key, etc etc. I entered everything and it let me in to my 1password for Families vaults. I then readded my DropBox vault and everything seemed ok. But - I then launched Chrome and the Chrome extension did the identifier exchange - but when I tried to open 1password6 the next time, I was back to the red lock slot - my password won't work.

I checked on another Win10 machine that has the save version of 1password6, and so far it seems fine. I also checked on my iPhone and Mac, and they seem fine - with all Families vaults and the Dropbox vault accessible.

Any thoughts on what's up with the particular Win10 machine that keeps seeming like it is locking me out?

1Password Version: 6.4.377d
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox & Families Edition Vaults
Referrer: forum-search:1password 6.4.377d on Win10 vault won't unlock

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @jcavalie,

Thank you for reaching out and giving us a chance to help! :) I really appreciate the detailed background for the issue, it helps.

I have a hunch about what is going on. First of all, could you please specify, do you have different Master Passwords for your Dropbox vault and your Families account? Have you tried to unlock 1Password 6 on your Windows PC using both of them? Please let us know.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• jcavalie
    jcavalie
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Greg. No - I had not tried using the Master Password for my families account as the Master Password for the Dropbox agilekeychain unlocks my vault(s) on all other PCs, MACs, and iOS devices. However, I did just do that and the Families password indeed does unlock the Vault(s) on this particular PC. So...I looked in the options and under settings-options-security it appears I can change the "Master Password" and have it affect only this PC. Is this true? Honestly, I wouldn't call it Master Password then - those appear now to unlock Vaults, not devices (which I guess then cascades to unlocking vaults). Maybe Device Password would be a better name. I actually saw this yesterday but glossed over it because it was change Master Password - and I don't want to change any vault passwords. So - am I looking at the right setting? Is it safe to change and have it only affect launching 1password on this PC (no changes to any Vault passwords or other devices)?

Also - it appears that I can no longer choose to have any new logins created in my Dropbox vault. Is 1Password going away from supporting Dropbox as a primary vault? Will this change on Macs and iOS devices also? If so, I may as well think about starting to migrate everything from my Dropbox account to my 1Password account.

Thanks for answering all these questions! I've been using 1Password for years - since maybe v2 - and this is the first time I've encountered anything even close to requiring help from support.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jcavalie: Thank you for getting back to me!

I had not tried using the Master Password for my families account as the Master Password for the Dropbox agilekeychain unlocks my vault(s) on all other PCs, MACs, and iOS devices. However, I did just do that and the Families password indeed does unlock the Vault(s) on this particular PC.

The thing is that Dropbox vault was added first on all of your other devices, that is why the Master Password from that local vault unlocks 1Password. On your Windows PC you have added Families account first and Dropbox vault second. In order to unlock 1Password, you should use the Master Password from your Families account, not the one from your Dropbox vault. I hope it clarifies the logic behind this situation.

So...I looked in the options and under settings-options-security it appears I can change the "Master Password" and have it affect only this PC. Is this true? Honestly, I wouldn't call it Master Password then - those appear now to unlock Vaults, not devices (which I guess then cascades to unlocking vaults). Maybe Device Password would be a better name. I actually saw this yesterday but glossed over it because it was change Master Password - and I don't want to change any vault passwords. So - am I looking at the right setting? Is it safe to change and have it only affect launching 1password on this PC (no changes to any Vault passwords or other devices)?

This setting in 1Password 6 on your Windows PC will affect the Master Password of your Families account only. Your 1Password account has nothing to do with your Dropbox vault, which has a different Master Password. If you change it, it will not affect your other devices, since you are using Dropbox vault there, but we do not recommend it, because it will make this complicated situation even more confusing. It is hard to remember two Master Passwords and it defeats the purpose of 1Password, right? ;)

Also - it appears that I can no longer choose to have any new logins created in my Dropbox vault. Is 1Password going away from supporting Dropbox as a primary vault? Will this change on Macs and iOS devices also? If so, I may as well think about starting to migrate everything from my Dropbox account to my 1Password account.

1Password 6 for Windows is focused on our 1Password accounts and we do not fully support local vaults at the moment. If you are planning to use 1Password on all of your devices, I would recommend you to migrate your data from your Dropbox vault to your Families account and use it everywhere. This way you will have only one Master Password. Isn't it wonderful? :)

I hope it helps. If my answers are not on point, or if you have additional questions, please let me know. I will do better. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• jcavalie
    jcavalie
    Community Member
    Options

OK. How can I add my Dropbox vault first, on my new PC? When I do a clean install and launch it, it seems to prompt me immediately for my Families account info. I'd rather set up my Dropbox vault first, and then add my Families account, if that will allow my "other" master password to be the one that unlocks the app and vaults on my PC. Essentially, I have a password for my Dropbox vault that I can remember. It's relatively complicated, but I can remember it. My Dropbox account itself has a very complicated password (stored in the Dropbox vault) and a 2nd factor. So...I feel pretty safe about my vault stored in Dropbox. Since I don't know a ton about agilebits security, my 1Password Families vault also has a very complicated password (stored in my Dropbox vault). I'll never be able to remember my password for the Families vault. I have to look in 1Password to get that password and the account key to set it up. My whole setup though is predicated on always having access to my 1Password Dropbox vault somewhere - as that has the "keys" for me to get into Dropbox again and into my Families vault.

So...net net...I'd like to set up my Dropbox vault to be first in line, just like it is on my other PCs, Macs and iOS devices. Please advise how to do that. Thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @jcavalie,

If you are planning to use a local vault synced via Dropbox, you should be using 1Password 4 on your Windows PC, not 1Password 6. As I've mentioned above, 1Password 6 is focused on our 1Password accounts at the moment. Here is the direct link to download 1Password 4.

If you have concerns about the security of 1Password accounts, I would recommend you to dive in and learn more about our security model and check this reply from Rob, where he explains why Dropbox is a more attractive target for potential attackers than our servers.

If it doesn't answer your questions, please get back to me. We are always here for you. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.