Should I be using the 1pw Windows App?

Options
TDK1044
TDK1044
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I currently use 1Password on three devices. Two of them are windows computers, and the third device is my i-phone. It all works perfectly. On the two windows computers, I use the 1password.com login using the browser. I'm quite happy doing this, but I read a few posts that stated that it's more secure if you use the windows app. My issue with the app is that I don't want to integrate it with my browser. Given that fact, is it still worth downloading the app to access 1password, or is what I'm doing ok by accessing via the Browser?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @TDK1044 I can not make decision for you, but I can help you to make the educated choice :)

While it's not typical to wish no integration with browser, you can do that by not installing browser extension or not authorizing app to connect to browser. I'm curious though what makes you want no browser integration?

If you choose to try the native app, you can have quick access to your data, fast search everywhere in all vaults, watchtower security alerts, offline mode and other features. You can always keep using web app as well. The way I see it, you risk or lose nothing by giving it a try. And we are always here to help you should you need some assistance or have feedback :)

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. My worry with allowing Browser extensions is that if the Laptop was stolen, and the Windows password was cracked, the thief would be able to go to sites like Amazon and click on the 1password icon to log into those sites as me. Is it possible to allow Browser access without enabling the Browser extension function?

• I see. Good news is that there is no data in browser extension, it's used only to glue browser and app together. When web page loads and you want to fill in it, extension is used to request data from the app and app decides whether to give it our or not. When app is connected to the browser for the first time you will see pairing code that must match in both app and browser, so it's kind of hard for the bad app to pretend it's your browser or 1Password app without you noticing unexpected codes on the screen.

To avoid such unpleasant scenario that you worry about - by default app actually locks itself every time you lock/unlock your Windows account. So when thief hacks your Windows account, he will face locked app and your secure master password will be next line of your defense.

If your device is stolen or sold, you can go online and de-authorize it. So even if someone guess your master password, app will quickly see that device is de-authorized and wipe data.

Please make sure you have a good Master Password and give a try to the app. We would be interested to hear your feedback!

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member
    Options

Will do. Thanks for the info.

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member
    Options

Just downloaded the app. Seems to work exactly as you described. Thanks again.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Dear @TDK1044, on behalf of Sergey you are very welcome! :+1:

Reach out to us anytime if you have questions, we are always ready to help. Enjoy 1Password!

Cheers,
    Greg

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Greg. I had misunderstood the browser extension component, and I thought it was an unnecessary risk. I really like the app. it works well.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@TDK1044: We would never take an unnecessary risk, we take the security and safety of your data very seriously. :) Thank you for your kind words!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

If your device is stolen or sold, you can go online and de-authorize it.

How? As far as I know you can still not do this on the web for Windows Apps.

• @XIII Hey, thanks for chiming in. We've added this feature in the recent 6.4.377 update. Very soon the web app will see an update making this possible.

Cheers,

Alex

This discussion has been closed.